Allergy to CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chander

Allergy to CPAP machine

Post by chander » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:24 am

I have been using RESMED ESCAPE S8 Cpap machine for almost a year. I have been using it with nasal pillow mask and I have also tried triangular nose mask.
Whenever I use it, I get up in the morning with severe sneezing, runny nose, painful watery eyes which lasts for 2-3 days if I stop using CPAP. Some days I will be perfectly fine and if I use CPAP for 1-2 hour nap, I get up with these symptoms.
I have tried changing filters, liquid soaps for cleaning and humidifier settings varied from 1-6. On doctor's advice, I have tried Claritin, flonase but no relief from this misery. Any suggestions as I can not quit CPAP due to severe Apnea.

Wulfman

Re: Allergy to CPAP machine

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:37 am

Way too many unknowns here, but......
Have you tried "passover" (no heat) humidification?
Do you use DISTILLED WATER?
Was it a brand new machine to begin with?
How many different soaps (and what kind) have you used?

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

chander

Post by chander » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:51 am

i have tried passover. I have tried liquid soap Dawn, two varietis of Palmolive. I do use distilled water.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:56 am

chander wrote:i have tried passover. I have tried liquid soap Dawn, two varietis of Palmolive. I do use distilled water.
OK. I use passover (exclusively)......Dawn dishwashing liquid......and (of course) distilled water.

I dunno.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:04 pm

I take a Clartin before bed which seems to help more than taking it when I get up.
But like Den said there are way to many unknowns, it's more like throwing darts.
Care to share more medical history? Which masks? Any other allergies?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:49 pm

You may be allergic to the latex in your masks.

People forget about latex reactions.

Last edited by Severeena on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharon
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not until thine own understanding ..... Proverbs 3:5-

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

Gene Willard

Post by Gene Willard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:02 pm

I have been using the Resmed bipap machine with the nose pillows for over a year and suffer every few days with severe allergies, too. I use distilled water in the reservoir on mine. This is getting ridiculous. My supplier of the machine can't come up with any answers. I finally start sleeping good and wake up to sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes and an extreme burning in my nasal passages. I think the forced air burns the nasal pasages.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Then there are those who are NOT even aware there are filters which need to be changed.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

sleepymatthew

Post by sleepymatthew » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:09 pm

Where are you keeping your cpap machine? I had mine on the carpet next to my bed, and was getting unpleasant odors in the mask. When I put it on top of a thick book so it couldn't draw air out of the carpet, the odors stopped. There are all kinds of mold, dust, and dust mites in carpet, even on the surfaces of bedroom furniture. Even with the filters in a cpap machine, some of that crud would get through.

Something to consider...
Matt

CMT Type 1B, AHI 55, CPAP pressure 14, Hosehead since 11/25/08

chander

Post by chander » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:26 am

I change filters. I keep the machine 3 ft above ground. I am not allergic to latex. I am told there is no silicon in the masks. I have done everything including shouting on DME to get me out of this misery. Right now, my nose is running all over when sending this e-mail.

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:59 am

You say you use Dawn dishwashing liquid to clean your humidifier.
You may not be rinsing the humidifier enough.
Rinse the humidifier at least twice in warm water, then three times in cold water and once or twice in distilled water.
You may want to look into a WaterWise Steamer distiller for your own use.
We have one and I have not had any problems with the humidifiers staying clean and as for drinking water it is the best.
Try the rinsing ritual and see what happens.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

elliejose

Post by elliejose » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:00 am

My solution to this problem is a stand alone humidifier. Three times I have tried to use an integrated humidifier, and that is what happened to me every time. Initially, I used a stand alone Humidaire because the DME happened not to have the integrated and I was using the stand alone as a loaner until my integrated came in.. I had to ask for my loaner back and I am still using it. When I first got the integrated, I tried it for about a month thinking that I would adjust to it, but I never did. I have integrated that came with my bilevel. I tried it once, with terrible results, so I went back to my old Humidaire. I tried it when I got the "M" bilevel and couldn't use it then either. I don't know if it is not enough humidity, not enough heat or just what it is - I have to run my stand alone on highest setting. If the knob accidentally gets bumped to a lower setting, I'm in trouble. Sometimes takes a week or 2 to get over it - just like a cold or sinus infection. A stand alone is not as convenient, space wise, as an integrated. But after all the trouble I have had, giving up space is worth it to me. This may not be your problem at all, but is worth a try, if you are able to test a stand alone. By the way, Severeena, good to see you again! It's been awhile. How have you been?

Josie

Sleepy Boy

Post by Sleepy Boy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Chander: You have pretty much the same equiptment as I do. I had this same problem a couple months ago. I was using a box of kleenex a day, I used Ayr spray and everything else. You know what I found? Behind the little foam rubber filter, was an Ultra fine white filter "IN BACKWARDS" I changed it, put it in right, and within a few days all the sneezing and stuff quit. If I dont change that white filter every couple weeks, it all starts up again. I'm not saying thats your problem-but it was mine-and we have the same symptoms. Larry...

LMercer

Post by LMercer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:55 pm

I'm having exactly the same problems described. I have NO history of allergies, but since I've used the CPAP, I have SEVERE rhinitis and sneezing for at least 2-3 days after each use. Nothing seems to help except waiting a few days for it to go away.When I use the CPAP, the symptoms come right back. The humidifier can't be turned higher without water accumulating in the tube and dripping into my nose. I've changed masks, taken anti-allergy meds, changed what I'm cleaning the machine with and am ready to thrown the CPAP out with window! So any suggestions will be MUCH appreciated!

Stemipet

Post by Stemipet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:57 am

I am having similar problems too. I wake early most mornings with severe sneezing, runny and bunged nose that lasts usually until the afternoon. I have been on CPAP for 12 years but this problem only began just before Christmas last year. I also suffer from asthma and allergies.

My CPAP is loaned to me by the hospital and I have to take it in every six months for a service and new mask/headgear/tubing if needed.

It's getting to the point now that people think I have a permanent cold and even after I have got over the morning sneezing my voice sounds all cold-like and my head feels all bunged. Maybe I have something wrong with my sinuses as there is often some blood in my nasal mucous. I am seeing my doctor next week but maybe I should ring the hospital and see what the CPAP technician has to say.

I feel like abandoning the machine but if I sleep without it I am waking regularly bursting for the toilet and feel tired the next day.

Anybody anymore ideas?

Cheers.