Autoset II vs. M - Series A/Flex

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chrischrischris

Autoset II vs. M - Series A/Flex

Post by chrischrischris » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:20 pm

I currently have the respironics M-series a/flex with humidifier. I really only have 2 complaints. The machine is a little loud, but more important when I am trying to fall asleep I have my presure on 6, and it is like I have to time my breaths. If I don't fully go in and out it will stop my breathe short. So I will take a deep breathe in and out it works fine, but if it is not a deep breathe like very light breathing it will stop me and will stop the a flex. I have never in a year been able to sleep an entire night through with my auto cpap machine.

So I am thinking about selling my M series to a friend and then picking up a new autoset II. Is this dumb

I've heard that the Autoset II , has a way better breathing releif that wont' stop you short on light breathes. and that it is twice as quiet. is that true

Slinky

Re: Autoset II vs. M - Series A/Flex

Post by Slinky » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:02 am

I don't have the S8 II AutoSet, but I had its forerunner, the S8 AutoSet Vantage and I loved it. I thought it was quiet, and never had any problem breathing with it at all. (And I have COPD).

I was switched to a bi-level and I insisted on the Resmed VPAP Auto which has the EasyBreathe technology and I love it too. I use it in Auto mode as I did run into a problem in Spontaneous (straight bi-level) mode w/a "puff" at the end of inhalation, start of exhalation. But the VPAP Auto has so many "comfort options" I'll be a year figuring out which "comfort option" will eliminate that. I, and jnk and a couple others, figure it is the Rise Time option so I'm gradually changing that, little by little from time to time. Mostly I just get aggravated w/not being able to figure out all the options and put her back in Auto mode and SLEEP for a few more nights.

BirdShell and I recently made a trip outta town together. She had the S8 Compact and I had my VPAP Auto. There they sat side by side on the night stand between our beds purring away and so quiet you had to pull your mask to be sure they were running.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

nobody

Post by nobody » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:00 am

I had the same issue with the AFlex and decided the CFlex is much more comfortable, so I would suggest you try switching to the CFlex first and see if that works better for you. Personally I have had so much trouble with the Respironics M Series machines...two of them not working right in the year that I've started this therapy. I'm seriously considering doing the same thing after I own this machine. The S8 autoset II seems like a nice machine, and maybe it actually runs better than the M Series Only problem is I only have the software for the Respironics machine.

chrischrischris

Post by chrischrischris » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:18 am

Anyone else out there, have experience with both of these?

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:28 am

What are your pressure and Flex settings? You shouldn't have to time your breaths.....it should breathe with YOU.
If you have it set to Auto mode in a range of pressures, I'd suggest setting it to CPAP mode with a single pressure (do you have a titrated pressure?) and see how that feels......and C-Flex setting of 2.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

GaryGarland

Post by GaryGarland » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:37 am

i haven't tried the respironics. i read somewhere that the autoset will look at your last 5 breaths as part of it's algorithm. once in the rare while i have troulbe initially falling asleep (staying alseep is another story), i'll take really short breaths, about 6 or 7, then go for a slow, long one - when i do that, the machine attempts to shorten my longer breath, i.e. i'd say the EPR reduces and i get full pressure - i think it's anticipating the next breath a few seconds sooner - it's not a big deal, and actually kinda cool.

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I had the same issue and cleared it by changing AFLEX to 2. It's really a good machine.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

barb_z

Post by barb_z » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:25 pm

I did use the M-Series Auto and was most uncomfortable breathing with it. I do deep breathing when starting to sleep in order to quiet my chatting mind and even though I had it on the C-flex, it would not let me finish my exhalation. That was upsetting. I just got the S8 AutoSet II and love it. I can exhale to my heart's content. No problem going to sleep at all.
Barb

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:09 pm

Have you tried the A-FLEX settig adjustment? I set mine on 3, and it is VERY comfortable. The machine breathes with me very naturally. And, I cannot even hear my machine when my mask is on--the mask exhaust is all I can hear. Good luck!
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com