Jones Tubes and CPAP compatibility

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mclnjam

Jones Tubes and CPAP compatibility

Post by mclnjam » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:53 pm

I have advanced prostate cancer and the effects of long-term chemo have "fried" my tear ducts closed. Four weeks ago I had Jones tubes implanted. These are pyrex glass tubes that replace the original equipment. When I try to use my CPAP (nasal pillow type, pressure @15), air shoots out of the left tube. I must hold my eyes _tightly_ closed and, even then, some pressure builds up under the eyelid resulting in a "popping" effect. This is very frustrating and I can't see how this can ever work. The surgeon says he's never heard this complaint before (big help). Anyone familiar with this issue or have any suggestions?? BTW, I've experimented with ramping and still the problem exists.

rippersmom

Re: Jones Tubes and CPAP compatibility

Post by rippersmom » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:03 am

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the CPAP world, but I would think using a full face mask might alleviate the problem. If the pressure of the air in your nose is causing the leak from the tear duct tube, you could breathe through your mouth with a full face mask and reduce the pressure going in your nose. I could be way off base on this, but it makes sense to me.

I wish you all the best in your battle with the big c, keep fighting.

Nancy in AZ
Retirement Rocks!

jules

Post by jules » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:15 am

would this mask help? I really don't know but - total face mask made by Respironics - there are a couple other images at cpap.com

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/total- ... onics.html

rippersmom

Post by rippersmom » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:09 pm

mclnjam wrote:I have advanced prostate cancer and the effects of long-term chemo have "fried" my tear ducts closed. Four weeks ago I had Jones tubes implanted. These are pyrex glass tubes that replace the original equipment. When I try to use my CPAP (nasal pillow type, pressure @15), air shoots out of the left tube. I must hold my eyes _tightly_ closed and, even then, some pressure builds up under the eyelid resulting in a "popping" effect. This is very frustrating and I can't see how this can ever work. The surgeon says he's never heard this complaint before (big help). Anyone familiar with this issue or have any suggestions?? BTW, I've experimented with ramping and still the problem exists.
I'm bumping this because there wasn't much response to his question.
Retirement Rocks!

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:16 pm

macinjam, I feel for you. I understand the pain of air in your eyes. Here's the solution I found

viewtopic/t37649/For-1st-time-my-nose-i ... opped.html

Hope this helps,

JeffH

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks for your responses. I'm going to try the full-face mask and see if that'll solve the problem.

hcforj

Post by hcforj » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:54 am

Did switching to a full face mask eliminate the air pressure problem on your eyes?

hcforj

Post by hcforj » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 am

Did switching to a full face mask eliminate the air pressure problem on your eyes?

janetsaunders

Post by janetsaunders » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:44 am

i have the same problem. find a reconstructive eye surgeon and ask them to contact Robert B Scott Ocularists Ltd. after 7 years of dealing with this, a new dr i went to found a solution. a plug that you insert at night and remove in the morning. amazing! good luck

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:58 pm

This thread was started in 2009.
The total face mask is likely the best and cheapest solution.
P/R now has 2 styles.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Not to add a lot to an old thread, but if anyone is trying to solve this, I think nasal pillows should be the answer, since they won't blow anything in the eyes.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Jen, I believe the tubes are a substitute for damaged nasolachrymal ducts, and appear to be providing a conduit for nasal air
to go under closed eyelids, Nasal pillows may not help, unless the air is NOT going through the Jones tubes.
I would question the accuracy/quality of the procedure, and hope medicine has come a ways in the 4 years since this thread was born.
If not, the total face mask has been suggested before for the rare instances when air passes backward through the duct,
exiting the puncta, and thence under the lid. (just my guess--I'm not a doctor, and I couldn't find that motel to save my life)
Equal air pressure on the entire face would stop this, much like a full face mask stops "chipmunk cheeks".

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm

jencat824 wrote:Not to add a lot to an old thread, but if anyone is trying to solve this, I think nasal pillows should be the answer, since they won't blow anything in the eyes.
Jen
I hate to post to an old thread, too, but a nasal pillow mask won't help because the pressure is leaking from the nasal passages directly into the eye through the nasolacrimal duct that runs from your eye socket to your nose to drain out tears.

A FFM, nasal mask, or nasal pillow mask won't help.

A total face mask might help because it pressurizes both the eyes and the nasal passages to the same pressure.

The Oracle oral mask might help because, once you learn to use it right, your nasal passages aren't pressurized at all. They can be uncomfortable to use. I never could get used to the dryness and feeling of not nose breathing.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

williemyers

Post by williemyers » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:13 am

if there's anyone out there still reading this thread, I'm having the exact problems described above. I've ordered a F&P Oracle Oral to give that a try, as my full-face F&P Simplex is keeping me up all night! But here's a question, while I wait on arrival of the Oracle Oral.....using the full-face last night, I thought, " well, if I block the nasal passages with a tissue, and just continue to breath through my mouth, perhaps that'll solve it...". It didn't. ..... I still got air blowing pu through the Jones tube. anyw thoughts?

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:22 am

williemyers wrote:if there's anyone out there still reading this thread, I'm having the exact problems described above. I've ordered a F&P Oracle Oral to give that a try, as my full-face F&P Simplex is keeping me up all night! But here's a question, while I wait on arrival of the Oracle Oral.....using the full-face last night, I thought, " well, if I block the nasal passages with a tissue, and just continue to breath through my mouth, perhaps that'll solve it...". It didn't. ..... I still got air blowing pu through the Jones tube. anyw thoughts?
Unless your nostrils are uncovered and unplugged, air pressure in your mouth and lungs will go up your nose, inflate your nasal cavity and leak out of your Jones tube.

With the Oracle mask, you do have to train yourself to use it without the nose plugs or a nose clip in order to get the benefit for nasolacrimal duct/Jones tube problems. I could do it, but I'm not sure everyone can learn.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.