HELP!! Sandman auto crash

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pudellvr

HELP!! Sandman auto crash

Post by pudellvr » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:34 pm

My 2 mo auto fell off of the bedside table this morning. It tries to start but then I get a service message. Can anyone help? Glad I still have my M plus as backup. It's better than nothing.

“The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances.” (Elizabeth Elliott)

Wulfman

Re: HELP!! Sandman auto crash

Post by Wulfman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:57 pm

Do you have any suspicion that water may have gotten inside it?
If so, you may need to make sure the insides are dried out......somehow.
I'm not familiar with them, but if you could tip it (prop it up) so that the hose/HH connection are at a point where any remaining water could drain out. Then, use some type of mild forced air (hair dryer) to blow inside it to make sure it's dry.

Then try it again.

If all else fails, contact the supplier you purchased it from and make arrangements for sending it back.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Thunder Road

Post by Thunder Road » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:00 am

Press the Ramp and on/off button at the same time. This should reveal a service code. Please reply with the code so we can try to figure out what to do next.

Just wondering- Does Cpap.com supply the clinical manuals along with the patinet manual when you purchase through them.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:24 am

Thunder Road wrote:Press the Ramp and on/off button at the same time. This should reveal a service code. Please reply with the code so we can try to figure out what to do next.

Just wondering- Does Cpap.com supply the clinical manuals along with the patinet manual when you purchase through them.
They always have in the past.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

pudellvr

Post by pudellvr » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:52 am

Ok, this is what I have done.

I was under the impression that the was no water in it. I was mistaken. I removed the air filter and felt the sponges behind that. They were sopping wet. Bought it from CPAP.com I do have clinition manuals but no biomed manuals.

Thanks,
Trish

“The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances.” (Elizabeth Elliott)

NeurosurgeryNP

Post by NeurosurgeryNP » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Sounds like you may have to send it in for servicing. Maybe it will qualify under warranty? Wishful thinking?
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. -Jimmy Buffett

Fredman

Post by Fredman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:24 pm

pudellvr wrote:My 2 mo auto fell off of the bedside table this morning. It tries to start but then I get a service message. Can anyone help? Glad I still have my M plus as backup. It's better than nothing.
Ouch, I wish you the best, hopefully somehow you can get it repaired or covered under warranty without too much hassle or cost.

When I read your post two things came to mind. I am going to buy that non-slip fabric and put into a tray with sides and then put my CPAP on that. I had a leak already on my Respironics HH because I didn't check the HH well enough to ensure that it was sealed properly. It leaked on my bedstand and wrecked the top. I need to sand it down and re-stain and try to match the color! the non slip fabric will keep the tank from moving...but I guess it won't stop it from falling if the hose is pulled.

Cheers!

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:11 pm

In an attempt to defy the laws of gravity Gumby keeps his on the floor. In a clear plastic storage bin of course. So far it has worked - it hasn't fallen off the floor yet, in a little over a year now.

knock on wood.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Fredman

Post by Fredman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Yup, that works really well! I have thought of doing the same as I have heard two benefits, some say it's quieter and that any rainout runs back into the HH.

My luck I will get up in the night (I don't turn on the light) and will stub my big toe on the darn thing!

Cheers!

pudellvr

Post by pudellvr » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:23 am

Yep, it's DOA!

It is one of the few times since I started hanging my hose from the wall on an elastic that I didn't do it. I had just come back from out of town and too lazy to do it. My next cpap will not have a built in humidifier. I will get a separate one.

Oh well.

Trish

GaryGarland

Post by GaryGarland » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:26 am

as a guy who takes things apart (and can never get them back together) i'd say you have a couple of things that went on - water damage, and possibly you shifted the spindle or whatever the axis which holds the fan is called - if water didnt' damage anything, it COULD dry out and be fine. however, i saw pix somewhere showing rust inside of a water damaged machine - ball bearings ruined, etc.
if the motor is thrown off axis, no amount of air drying will help.
i doubt you'll get warranty coverage on this, but is it possible you have warranty coverage with your charge card or similar?
you can also check the auction site or perhaps where you bought it (did you say cpap.com?) will have some mercy on you?
good luck!!!!!

pudellvr

Post by pudellvr » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:22 am

GaryGarland wrote:as a guy who takes things apart (and can never get them back together)
I knew it wouldn't be under warranty due to the type of incident. I took it apart and it was a mess. Water deep into the motor. I have liked the auto but I have had more difficulty with the attached humidifier. It is fiddly to get on right and causes a good bit of noise. Plus, the way it is designed there is no way for water not to get in after a tumble. I have waited to write my review on the auto until I had used it a few more months. I am glad that I did. The cpap itself is a great machine but I find design flaws with the humidifier and a few tweaks with the interface that I would prefer.

mindy

Post by mindy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:28 am

pudellvr wrote:I knew it wouldn't be under warranty due to the type of incident. I took it apart and it was a mess. Water deep into the motor. I have liked the auto but I have had more difficulty with the attached humidifier. It is fiddly to get on right and causes a good bit of noise. Plus, the way it is designed there is no way for water not to get in after a tumble. I have waited to write my review on the auto until I had used it a few more months. I am glad that I did. The cpap itself is a great machine but I find design flaws with the humidifier and a few tweaks with the interface that I would prefer.
Imho, it may be worth contacting Covidien. From what I've read, if it were Respironics I'm not sure if it would be worth the trouble .... but I would think that Covidien would have a bigger stake in making the customer (you, in this case) happy. Sounds like it would be worth a try. I would be sure to use the words "design flaws"!

I, too, find the humidifer somewhat clunky and the weakest part of the machine (so far). Luckily I've put mine on a non-skid mat on my nightstand and I also have hose management. I also love this little machine (other than humidifier).

Good luck!
Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

One Tired Puppy

Post by One Tired Puppy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:20 am

I too, have lost my Sandman due to it tipping over while it was on the floor. We had a storm and I quickly got up on my knees to shut window as a very strong wind and rain began coming in. As I quickly got on my knees it caused the generator to tip over. I felt a gurgling in the mask and immediately turned the generator upright and turned it off and unplugged it. I took off the humidifier and took out the soggy filters and let water drain. I then used a blow dryer on low heat to try to dry it out then left it upside down to dry for 48 hours as suggested in manual.

I tried to use it last night put within a few minutes just get puff, puff, puff, and no inhalation. It is obviously damaged. I live in Canada and was afraid of ordering from the States in case it might need service in future. I didn't expect it to be within a few months of purchasing. I am out a thousand dollars when you include the software bought. 895.00. I feel sick.

I too think there is a problem with the humidifier being connected to the machine as there isn't enough weight to keep it from tipping very easily. Mine was on the floor beside my bed but still tipped. I will never buy another machine with connected humidifier either. If I can't get mine fixed without a great cost I will not be buying anything from the States anymore as it won't be worth it if it can't be serviced.

This is such a shame as the generator itself is great and has great software. I hope they change the Sandman to have the humidifier heavier and separate.

I bought mine from cpap.com also and don't know who would service it, if anyone. There is a telephone number for customer service and technical support in the manual and I have to wait till Monday to call them. I am going to suggest something be done about the light-weight humidifier.

Maybe a heavy wooden box that will hold the machine and humidifier securely without possibility of tipping is the only hope for those who haven't already lost their machines through humidifier water damage.

I hope they will repair our machines and redesign the humidifier feature very soon.

Anne

pudellvr

Post by pudellvr » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Check out this.https://www.cpap.com/productpage-bundle ... undle.html This is what I am switching to. That way I can use the data equipment that I already have.

I don't think in or out of the states has anything to do with it. This is not under warranty due to the type of accident.