Using Neck Brace to keep Head Up & Airway Open?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rvw2012

Re: Using Neck Brace to keep Head Up & Airway Open?

Post by rvw2012 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:05 pm

i personally use two small pillows filled with beads (buckwheat hull pillows also work well) which allow me to custom fit my pillow and are easy to adjust. i am a side sleeper mostly.

Jose912

Post by Jose912 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:12 am

I used to wear CPAPs but it never worked for me. After a few days I end up having severe sinus reactions. There is one alternative that worked hopefully it will work for you too. Buy a cheap Futuro neck brace and wear it as normal. Pick a pillow that is about the same height as the distance from your ear to the bed when you sleep on your side and with the pillow compressed. Put one hand between that same ear and the pillow and the other hand between your knees. This will stabilize your side sleep position. Later in the night you will reposition during sleep, which is expected, but try to go back to this position when you have the chance and if it feels comfortable to do again. You will find breathing a lot easier and feel much better in the morning.

After a few nights of doing this you will notice having a stiff neck in the morning. Do a few neck rotation and side-to-side exercises during the day to relieve this, in time the neck pain will go away and you will get used to the technique. There is an unexpected benefit to this method, your posture will improve during the day and you will get used to having your head tilted backward during sleep preventing airway restriction.

One more advise, losing weight has helped a lot too. Best of luck to other CPAP users.

Kitatonic

Post by Kitatonic » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 am

I push the covers under my chin just like kteauge used to do. As long as I sleep without much movement, this helps. Unfortunately, I can't seem to tolerate a chin strap. So I'm very interested in future posts of some type of pillow can prop my chin is place.

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Mtviewer,
There's a member here who uses positional therapy only. His username is Mars and here's a thread that has a link to the collar he uses...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70205&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... positional

Hope you find that useful,
Jamis

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:15 am

I, so far, don't seem to have problems with that. I know one thing, having slept in a cervical collar, don't want to ever again, if I can avoid it. Had 2 herniated discs repaired this summer and had to wear one 24/7 for a couple of weeks. I don't know how comfortable one would be but it would certainly work to keep you from tucking your chin.

Here's the one I wore. http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc ... 3p1548.htm
Mtnviewer wrote: I haven't found anything like this so far online, so I'm asking here if anyone has come across an already manufactured type of neck brace as I've described? Chin straps which I've tried sort of work ok for keeping the mouth closed, but not to keep the head tipping toward the chest. My oral appliance is also better than any chin strap I've tried by a huge margin.

jelopez777

Post by jelopez777 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:08 am

In my first post I discovered using a neck brace is better than the problems of CPAP. I would like to provide an update on using the Futuro neck brace. I have stopped using it in favor of a much better alternative. I just discovered that using a dental appliance or oral appliance e.g. SnoreRx is much better. At first I did not want to even consider this because a colleague told me it causes salivating. It was only when I tried it for myself that I discovered he was wrong. Yes, initially it does but after a few days of trying it out, your mouth gets used to it and you won't salivate anymore. I discovered if you do not sleep on your side there won't be any salivating. At the "3 setting" I hardly snore and definitely there is no more sleep apnea. I dream and feel so much better during the day. I hope people who read this spread the word to at least try this alternative.

simplej

Post by simplej » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:53 am

Soft collars are not that restrictive, there is still quite a lot of freedom for tilting and rotating your head. So it may work for some but it also may be insufficient. Definitely the most comfortable from all other solutions. It takes only a few nights to adjust to sleeping with soft collar then one quickly forgets its on. Added benefits are no pinched nerves and warmer neck (good for sore throat when sick). Soft collars are also great when used as travel pillows.

I would hate having something like SnoreRx in my mouth. It may work when sleeping on back, but when you sleep on side it could fall out and your saliva would be all over your pillow. I personally can't sleep lying on my back as I can't even fall asleep (never could) and start getting uncomfortable spine pain after an hour from my spine being too flat (both lumar and thoratic). Probably result of sleeping on belly for many years and scoliosis. To me it looks like SnoreRx is used best with something that keeps your mouth closed.

Rigid collars work much better than soft collars, and if a soft collar doesn't have sufficient effect one can try rigid one. There is less comfort initially as one is not used to wearing a neck brace. You have to relax your neck muscles and stop trying to move your head all the time (avoid fighting the brace or you will hate it). You can also quickly get used to having it on and can sleep well. They allow sleeping on back or side. Aspen neck braces are the least restrictive, then follows Philadelphia and Miami J being the most restrictive/supportive neck brace. Miami J is probably the best option for sleep apnea if you learn to sleep with it on. People who wore them 24/7 after surgeries hate them as they prevent you from doing daily activities like eating, toiletting the way you are used to. But you don't need head mobility while sleeping and it holds your head in correct position.

All 3 alternatives are in my opinion more comfortable than CPAP. However you have to try what works for you.