First Post - No overnight titration study, is that normal?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnk

Re: First Post - No overnight titration study, is that normal?

Post by jnk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:25 am

rooster wrote: . . . home diagnosis . . . (education on osa and cpap) . . . IQ . . . "problem" cases. . . . humble . . .
Thanks for the kind words, rooster. But don't be taken in by my odd style of writing. I come off more humble and IQ-ish than I am. I am very thankful for my "education on osa and cpap," which took place right here on this board from posts from you and the rest of the gang here. I know I have a lot to learn, but I have the feeling that, given the quality of so many of this board's posters, I'll always have a lot to learn.

My main issue with home diagnosis and home titrations is that I still wonder how easily the "'problem' cases" would get identified.

Cost versus quality is the issue, along with the lack of qualified docs, techs, and centers. But my hope is that those issues can be addressed without making the quality of care even worse than it already is for way too many. To me, the problem is cookie-cutter assembly-line healthcare, so pushing it further that way is not the solution. Sleep-disordered breathing can be complicated, and part of the diagnosis and titration process involves differentiating it from other sleep-related and breathing-related problems. I think that quality care still requires one semi-trained human being watching the other human being sleep, as of 2008/2009.

roster

Post by roster » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:23 pm

averian wrote:....... I did go ahead and order a card reader and get software, so that should arrive soon. I figure that is a small price to pay for a better view of the data. ........
-Mark
This indicates to me that your attitude is right to be successful. Good move.

averian wrote:...........
As for the machine itself, should I push for one with AFLEX or just try and keep the CFLEX one I have? ..........
I have an AFLEX and worked with the AFLEX and CFLEX settings a lot. I did not like either one and eventually found that straight CPAP gives me the best therapy and sleep. That being said, I think you should get an AFLEX because of the versatility.

averian wrote:....... Should I also look into getting an oximeter? (I just checked my sleep study stats and they say 90% saturation during REM).

Just one person's opinion, concentrate on finding a mask that you like and getting leaks, AI and HI under control for now. You can consider the oximeter later. At some point, before you consider buying, you may want to find out if you can get one from your clinic or DME for a few nights at no cost. Some of them do this.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

roster

Post by roster » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:28 pm

jnk wrote:.......I think that quality care still requires one semi-trained human being watching the other human being sleep, as of 2008/2009.
Putting it that way makes it sound like a crummy job. I'd prefer the graveyard shift at the graveyard.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:54 pm

rooster wrote:
jnk wrote:.......I think that quality care still requires one semi-trained human being watching the other human being sleep, as of 2008/2009.
Putting it that way makes it sound like a crummy job. I'd prefer the graveyard shift at the graveyard.

The tech at one of my sleep studies admitted that he spent part of the night of my study cruising the internet looking for another job. True story! I assume that his having to watch me sleep must have put him over the edge!

jonboy117

Post by jonboy117 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:55 pm

YU+FV68I had a split night study. Was prescribed a CPAP at 15cm. The equipment providers did not cary machienes with flexable pressure, and it was uncofortable.
Since then I bought a black market auto bi-pap. I have slept better, and on the recorded data I was normally at a lower pressure by 2cm, and then it peaked at 18 cm occasionally. So, I think using an APAP for diagnosis is a good idea, cheaper, and then I think you should ask for an APAP with flex. Just because the pressure was right when you did the study does not mean your habits or body won't change that requiement.

The medical provider I used charged $1200 for the original cpap, and it never gets used. My sleep study was over $3000. I would prefer the money go into the equipment. The guy at the sleep study knew I had OBSTUCTIVE apnea in 2 minutes.

If a nuralogical or pulminary cause is suspected, a full study is worth it, otherwise I think the auto machines do a good job.

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:29 pm

Mine was a split study but I would have probably done better with the Auto at home. With insurance going the way it is this will probably become a lot more common. Unfortunately it would not have diagnosed my PLMD and I did find that out during my study.