Use of Provigil

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JimH

Use of Provigil

Post by JimH » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Long time no post. I recently heard from somebody who is also suffering from sleep apnea. His doctor also put him on Provogil to help straighten out his days and nights so he is more awake during the day and will sleep better at night. The side benefit that was a surprise is that he lost over 65 pounds without dieting at all. I think he may have a appetite suppresant in it as well, but I am not sure.I never heard of this being prescribed with sleep apnea treatment since I started 5 years ago. I looked up the drug briefly and it does indeed say it is most commonly prescribed for sleep apnea patintes. Is this something new and is anyone on this site taking it? Downsides?? Upsides???

thanks

JimH

Re: Use of Provigil

Post by JimH » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:05 am

I see now that there are many posts on this topic. sorry to have put anther on...

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:51 am

No problem with the post. Glad you found some prior discussion. I recently started on it again but when the doc increased the dose to 200mg my insurance wouldn't approve it and the doc had to get them to approve it. I was just going to let it go since I felt it didn't help much and was still napping. Ran out of pills before the refills were approved and then saw the difference - was nearly a zombie for several days. On it my naps are minimal at 200mg. My need for the med is not due to sleep apnea but limb movements. My cpap treatment is fine. Haven't been on it long enough to see much weight loss. My concern is that someone whose OSA treatment is therapeutic should not be having so much daytime sleepiness due to OSA alone. I would want to be sure I had been fully evaluated for other possible causes (sleep disorders and otherwise)that could be treated rather than have the med be the first and/or only attempt at resolution. Masking poor sleep or other health issues allows the damage to ones health to continue. However, if one has done due diligence and still needs help to be functional, that's another story.

JimH

Post by JimH » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:44 pm

Thanks Kathy.

I do have to go see the doctor again. After 5 years, I am getting really tired again. The headaches are back and my concentration is for the birds..... I have gained and lost wait on and off for the last 3 years. My maximum loss was 18 pounds. I stopped working out at the gym not more than 5 months ago, and the weight came back on in force. I am now no better off than I was 5 years ago.

In any event, during my visit I will bring this topic up to the doctor.

Jim