Poll: Breastfed/Bottlefed and OSA - Please vote ...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Bottle or Breastfed?

Were you breastfed longer than one month?
34%
Were you bottlefed?
54%
Not sure?
13%

Total votes: 152

debtheveg

Re: Poll: Breastfed/Bottlefed and OSA - Please vote ...

Post by debtheveg » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi Again,

Julie, I think if you read Dr Palmer's literature, you would definitely see the connection. The sucking babies do in that first year is not for just short periods of time. Those early weeks, they can feed six, eight, ten times a day for up to an hour. Some days, it may be almost all day. If you've ever put a finger in their mouths (as I do often - gloved- in my job as a baby photographer .... to settle them) you will see they have a VERY strong action.

Now, if they are doing that over and over again for months and months and months, you can see that will have a strong influence on the still-forming bones and muscles in the mouth. The sucking action on a bottle-teat is very different and much easier to access the liquid than the action on a breast.

As for you two, Rooster and Goose, I think with names like those, you two would be on my side of the vegetarian debate. I'm thinking I should change my name and join the menagerie!

Deb

roster

Post by roster » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 pm

goose wrote:........
(I won't do my Hamster/Gerbil joke )

goose
Aww, go ahead Goose. All I have to offer is a guinea pig recipe.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

roster

Post by roster » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:17 pm

debtheveg wrote:Hi Again,

Julie, I think if you read Dr Palmer's literature, you would definitely see the connection. The sucking babies do in that first year is not for just short periods of time. Those early weeks, they can feed six, eight, ten times a day for up to an hour. Some days, it may be almost all day. If you've ever put a finger in their mouths (as I do often - gloved- in my job as a baby photographer .... to settle them) you will see they have a VERY strong action.

Now, if they are doing that over and over again for months and months and months, you can see that will have a strong influence on the still-forming bones and muscles in the mouth. The sucking action on a bottle-teat is very different and much easier to access the liquid than the action on a breast.

As for you two, Rooster and Goose, I think with names like those, you two would be on my side of the vegetarian debate. I'm thinking I should change my name and join the menagerie!

Deb
My preemie son was breastfed every hour for three months. Yep, my poor wife had to set timers and get up all night long. That is a lot of sucking and I am sure could affect anatomy at that young age.

Well gotta go scratch around for some juicy caterpillars. When they sit still they at least look like vegetables.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:39 pm

Really don't want to get into it here at all, but... has anyone asked a pediatrician or even neonatologist whether or not damage (or just 'change') can result from natural feeding? Don't forget, women have been breast feeding babies all over the world for millenia, and often into the 3-4 year of children's lives - did a large percentage of our ancestors have OSA? The condition's been known about for a long time, but mostly treated (til very recently) as an anomaly, not a routine condition.

debtheveg

Post by debtheveg » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Well done to Mrs Rooster (Mrs Hen????). She's given your son the best possible start. Even he was a vegetarian for a time!!!

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:23 am

Ok.....since rooster insists, and you know you don't want to disappoint an insistent rooster.....

What's the difference between a Hamster and a Gerbil????

There's more white meat on a Gerbil........

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

debtheveg

Post by debtheveg » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:07 pm

Enough of the anti-vegetarianism guys!!! This is supposed to be about breastfeeding/bottlefeeding and osa!!!

I wonder if animals can have sleep apnea?

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:43 am

Both of my dogs snore!!! I could swear one of the cats also snores.....
I'm also certain that both the dogs and the cats were breastfed for the first 4-6 weeks or so.....
Never heard the goats or horses snore, and I won't speak for the fish.....
Now. I know snoring doesn't necessarily mean apnea, but.......

Just an animal observation...
cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

debtheveg

Post by debtheveg » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:36 am

Maybe they were taken from their mums a little early! One day they may make little masks for cats and dogs, not sure about the goldfish, and the machines can be shared by the whole family. Or if that doesn't work, then I can see them using oral splints.

debtheveg

Post by debtheveg » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:38 am

p.s. Good luck with your new President.

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:38 pm

debtheveg wrote:Enough of the anti-vegetarianism guys!!! .........
Deb,

You need to get over there quickly -> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37977&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

They are beating up on vegetarianism.

(But I think they like breastfeeding.)

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:43 pm

rooster wrote:
debtheveg wrote:Enough of the anti-vegetarianism guys!!! .........
Deb,

You need to get over there quickly -> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37977&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

They are beating up on vegetarianism.

(But I think they like breastfeeding.)
Mmmmm ... I do like feeding on breasts

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

OmniMarconi67

Re: Breastfeeding and OSA

Post by OmniMarconi67 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:33 pm

rooster wrote:Do vegetarians breast feed?
They do before they become vegetarians...

This is an interesting thread topic. Something else to think about--there have been studies linking being bottlefed to having weight issues in childhood and beyond, which in turn could lead to apnea (probably the case for me). So while bottlefeeding vs. breastfeeding may not directly correlate with sleep apnea per se, it most likely is correllated with issues that eventually lead to apnea.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:19 am

Deb,

Did you listen to this -> http://doctorstevenpark.com/can-bottle- ... leep-apnea ?

Dr. Park has high credibility with me, but I haven't listened to this yet.

Regards,

debtheveg

Post by debtheveg » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:11 am

Thanks Rooster,

Just saw this. (Vegetarian) food for thought!!!

Deb