broken PB 420E emergency

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
plr66

Re: broken PB 420E emergency

Post by plr66 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:24 pm

ozij wrote:Yes. I bought the filters about a year ago, 6 packs, contacted cpap.com about the problem, received an RMA and was reimbursed for the 5 closed packs that I returned.
O.
I'm pretty uneasy about having just purchased this machine for travel/backup, with the worry now that it will not be reliable. Have you continued to use the 420E without any other problems, Ozij?
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:25 pm

Yes.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

plr66

Re: broken PB 420E emergency--Preventive idea

Post by plr66 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:59 pm

tillymarigold_ wrote:Tonight when I went to take my humidifier tank out of my 420E APAP, when I pulled the pressure sensor line out of the little thing it attaches to, the thing that inserts into the line broke off the machine and came away with the line!
I want to keep my new 420E for as long as possible. Does anyone know if there is an air-tight coupler available anywhere which would accept the small sensor tube on both ends? Idea would be to cut about an inch of the tubing to stay connected to the nipple on the machine permanently with the coupler at the outer end of it; then to always use the coupler joint to attach and detach the sensor tube. Surely some of our medical professionals and RT's here would know of such a thing?
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:11 pm

I would think an inch long piece of tubing connected to the nipple on the machine would put in more danger of breaking - it could get hit /pulled and pull the nipple out of place - at a higher probablilty than the sensor hose.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

plr66

Post by plr66 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:45 am

ozij wrote:I would think an inch long piece of tubing connected to the nipple on the machine would put in more danger of breaking - it could get hit /pulled and pull the nipple out of place - at a higher probablilty than the sensor hose.

O.
Guess my description wasn't very clear. Sorry. I simply meant to splice the sensor tube that comes out of the machine, and place the coupler in the splice, so that the tube could then be removed and replaced from the coupler rather than that apparently brittle nipple on the machine. IF such a coupler exists...

tillymarigold

Post by tillymarigold » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:54 pm

I doubt such a coupler exists, honestly, and I wouldn't expect it to work if one did. The sensor tube on the 420E is very fussy and needs to be attached just right or the machine won't work at all.

BTW my replacement (Sandman Auto) was shipped last Tuesday (the 30th) and is set to arrive tomorrow (the 6th). Grr ... why oh why does it take eight days to ship something from Texas to New Mexico? I could have had it in one-third the time by driving to Houston and back myself! It took four whole days to get from Houston to Dallas (which is less than a four-hour drive!) and two more to get out of Dallas!

plr, the people I talked to at cpap.com said that most of the complaints they've had have been about the 420G, not the 420E. And while they've had a significant number of complaints, it's still only a minority of machines sold.

Kajun, cpap.com and I came to a compromise on the software, which is that I can buy it for the same discounted price I'd get if I bought it with the machine and humidifier, rather than the full price. There were also some other issues that they gave in on, so overall I'm happy. Assuming I ever get the replacement.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:10 pm

tillymarigold wrote:I doubt such a coupler exists, honestly, and I wouldn't expect it to work if one did. The sensor tube on the 420E is very fussy and needs to be attached just right or the machine won't work at all.
Well, I think this idea actually would solve the possible problem of attachment issues (though I haven't had any yet) by leaving the small section of tubing permanently attached. So I still am hoping someone might know of a coupler for this size tubing. It's the small tubing you might see on an oxygen compressor, I think.

Tilly, I'm really glad that you were able to work out something that made you feel you came out well with cpap.com on your broken PB. Hope the new model serves you well!