Do nasal pillows enlarge or permanently affect nares/nostril

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gerald

Re: Do nasal pillows enlarge or permanently affect nares/nostril

Post by Gerald » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:29 am

Ed......

Your experience has been the same as mine...........no change......no problem.

Ozij......

Your "fear" of Lansenoh is "similar" to your "fear" of the cotton fibers that are in my mask. The same fibers....by the way.....have been in there since August (as an experiment) without problem.
Lansenoh has been all over the nasal prongs of my mask for a year and a half......same Lansenoh......same nose-piece.....no problem.

I wash the nose-piece periodically....but not every day. The silicone rubber hasn't changed.

For me, the whole thing is an "experiment".......and if there was the slightest change in anything, I would have already been asking "why".....and reporting it here.

My goal......my reason for experimentation.....is to achieve a better experience with CPAP.....and I'm succeeding. My AHI is averaging around 0.3....and my O2 saturation levels are staying well above 93%.

All the "off the wall" stuff I use......cotton string.....painters tape.....panty-hose tights......sheep fat (Lansenoh)......cookie sheets......hanging plant holder.....computer fan.....boot warmer......bilge pump hose...cable ties....industrial Velcro.......air conditioning filter material..........all this "stuff" makes it better. It adds to the standard equipment I buy from CPAP.com......and kicks it into "high gear".

So, when I recommend something that I'm using....something that I've experimented with......and found to be worthwhile.....the recommendation is made with care. It's my way of "paying forward"....of "giving back"......because of the tremendous value I've obtained from others on this board.

Gerald

Gerald

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:12 am

I have no opinion at all about Lanesoh, I was making a logical point that some things can be fine for babies, and not so good for masks.
I actually said in my post "This is not a comment about Lanesoh".

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:19 am

I carefully read what you said in your post......and you diverted the issue to something that was "beside the point"....sheeesh!

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:10 pm

Gerald,

Do you have any recommendations for cheaper filters? I noticed you mentioned air conditioning filter material. Would that be a replacement for the white filters?

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:55 pm

Bev.....

I haven't come up with any inexpensive "white filter material" yet......and I suspect that we're stuck with the expensive versions. I figure that those filters are specially made for that one application.....sized perfectly, bonded or fused in such a way as to provide rigidity....while at the same time providing filtration. Tough to duplicate.....

When I mentioned air conditioning filter material, it had to do with the mask and hose drier that I built out of a Chinese Boot Drier....found on sale at Harbor Freight. What I threw together works great....but looks crappy. It's a "first generation"......and I'm trying to simplify it for the second generation. Once I get the next version up and running, I'll give a full report. I'm trying to figure out a way to make a cheap, simple, but effective mask and hose drier....one that most of us can put together. "Simple" is the hard part...but, I'll get there.

Gerald

Apneapolitan

Post by Apneapolitan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 am

Yes. They definitely do... specifically while they are blowing or blasting air up them. I have seen an enlargement of my nose specifically around the area above and around my nostrils / nares.