Money, money, money

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
stoveman

Been wrong before . . .

Post by stoveman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:22 pm

I've been wrong before, I will be again and I might even be wrong now.

I'd still ask a lot of questions: Is the warranty the same? Who is backing the warranty? If it doesn't work right out of the box, do you have a reputable company (like cpap.com) and Respironics to replace it?

Maybe you're right, Respironics is just buying the other unit and slapping their name & markup on it. I am very pleased with my new REMstar Auto C-Flex and I'm glad Respironics had the profit available to fund R&D to develop it.

SM

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, cpap.com, C-FLEX, auto

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, cpap.com, C-FLEX, auto

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:49 pm

They are not even putting their name on it.
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

bigcat

Post by bigcat » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:40 pm

Wow stoveman, I think you have it all mixed up.

You are glad Respironics had the profit available to fund the R&D for a smart card reader???? You think Respironics put a dime into the R&D of this technology? Nope, they did not. They had nothing to do with this technology.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:39 am

Someone mentioned cpap world quoting $820 for an Autoset Spirit Auto CPAP.

cpap.com has it for $805 with the software. I'm sure they'd be willing to sell it to you for $820 and 'include the software for free' though.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... oscan.html

fstanmyre

Post by fstanmyre » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:35 am

Guest, cpap.com has the Auto Spirit with humidifier for $694 and $805 with autoscan software. What is your point?

Fred Stanmyre

Sleepyman

Post by Sleepyman » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:01 pm

tridens says:
talked with Mako Technologies this morning on the phone. The rep told me that they are actually the makers of the card reader that Respironics bundles with their software. They would sell me the reader for $50.

However, I found this link:

http://www.2factors.com/index.php?sp=&p ... s=&lang=en

This is a Hong Kong company that sells the reader for $24 + $6 shipping = $30!

The web site is a little clunky (make sure you sign up for an account and put in the correct contact information before you order), with some incomplete pages, and they look like a new company. However, they responded to my e-mails immediately (taking into account the 12-hour time difference, of course). You can pay them via PayPal...they have several verified sales this way which is a good sign. The rep told me I should have my reader in a week.

Here's a up to date driver that works with it:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res088jp/site ... /setup.exe
It says to run setup before plugging in the card reader

stoveman

Closest modifier

Post by stoveman » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:11 pm

Bigcat:

The closest modifying noun to the final "it" in my post is the REMstar Auto CPAP. I'm dumb, but not dumb enough to think that Respironics R&D developed an obviously purchased component.

I figured I'd get flamed over my comment. My dealers are mostly "Mom & Pop" operations that are getting squeezed out by "big box" stores and internet sales.

I also have a habit of paying higher prices (gladly) when I see something is made in the USA. Chinese workers are cheaper, they do very good work, but they pay no taxes in the USA.

I'm done now; I hear the orderlies coming to take me back to my padded cell. "I'll go along quietly, no need for the straightjacket."

SM

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:43 pm

I 'll agree with you stoveman that i will pay a few extra dollars for a made in USA product. The difference between $50 and $30 is not much. But $150 and $50 is. So i ll go with the Mako if it works.
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

fstanmyre

Post by fstanmyre » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:00 pm

Actually, the Infineer card reader is made in China too. You need a magnifying glass to see it on the back of the reader. Anyhow, thanks to the good work of you folks, we know where not to buy the reader.
Fred Stanmyre

fstanmyre

Infineer Reader

Post by fstanmyre » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:40 pm

Closure, I finally received the Infineer reader direct from Mako technologies, $50 plus $10 S&H. Plugged it in and it worked fine. Don't even need to change the driver. Suggest don't pay $150 to Respironics unless you are in a very generous mood.

Fred Stanmyre

dsm

Re: Infineer Reader

Post by dsm » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:59 pm

[quote="fstanmyre"]Closure, I finally received the Infineer reader direct from Mako technologies, $50 plus $10 S&H. Plugged it in and it worked fine. /quote]

Stan,

Many thanks - as I expected.

Cheers

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Cheap equipment

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:39 pm

Good job.....can you find a supplier of CPAP hoses that are really cheap? Maybe we can find cheap electronics in Hong Kong..always been a great market there. Yes, I would like to support the USA also.......but it is becoming exceedingly difficult. Our clothes are made in Bangladesh, Thailand, Indonesia. We import silver from Mexico, gold from Italy, have marble from Italy in our bathrooms, faucets made by large German manufacturers and CPAP machines owned by Australia. We drive American made cars whose parts are all manufactured outside of the US and supply them with foreign oil and gas. About the only American made thing left are Krispy Kreme donuts and they ended up getting us on CPAP machines......so it must be the fault of the US!

Metron9

New to the cpap world here

Post by Metron9 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:13 pm

I can tell after reading this thread I should fit right in here.
A few points

Went on CPAP September 2003 was 240 lbs
Lifted weights cut bad food dropped to 195
told alina to take their $1600 dollar bill for a 500 dollar resmed CPap machine and shove it. Gave them their cap machine back
did not need cpap because I loat 40 lbs
Had bad tonselittis few weeks ago and bad apnia because of tonsels and glands swelling up
made my own cpap machine from a regenerative blower I used for a large aquarium setup
got sleep, tonsels got better
Got prescription today for cpap machine
Normal blood presssure 117 over 75 ( I read it every day)
Blood pressure at the doctors office 170 over 110, after being told 1600 bucks is um paid by my insurance company so relax....
that's how much I like the way they treat me, is it so darn bad to want to know whats going on and have some control over it?
bought remstar auto with cflex, card reader and software from cpap.com
Why? Because I may need it someday and I don't want to use a makeshift home made model (its too loud)

Programmiing background
I use to write games for commodore on the old c-64, wrote my own editor assembler to program 6502 code for the games I wrote.
Many years programming database stuff as well.

I would love to help figure out the data on this card. if anyone can help me get the data of the card into a file, (not a wizard at hardware though) I will bet I can figure out the structure of the data.

Sandor

card content

Post by Sandor » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:04 am

Metron9,
I have a program to read/write the card. The structure of the data on the card is now clear. Within a couple of days I'll have more news on this.
Sandor

Smart Card

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:36 am

Maybe if we insert our smart card into a DirecTV receiver, we could get free satellite......For the cost, we should get a couple of uses out of it!