There went the 'stache!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
deerhound

There went the 'stache!

Post by deerhound » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:59 pm

Went for my first follow up visit with my sleep doc today. We were both pleased with how I am responding to the treatment. I told him and the RT I saw that I am playing around with my machine settings and they weren't too upset, although they said my settings of 18 ipap and 10 epap were the result of careful calibration by experienced professionals. The doc did say that when running my machine in auto that it took some time for it to find a pressure that would stop an event and that it might take it up to 2 minutes to adjust to a pressure that would help in that condition. That does make some sense to me. I'll still play around though. The RT told me I was the first patient she has had that downloaded data from the smart card and I think I am also the first who has played around with my machine. She was interested in CPAPauction.com to tell her patients without insurance so they can save some money on equipment. I wanted to try a Mirage Liberty mask so they sent a one home with me with a large cushion and medium and large pillows to try. They have been very nice to me in allowing me to try out different masks for about a week at a time. Sure does save some money not buying obvious mistakes. When I tried the mask on I had some pretty good leaks around my mustache so I shaved my 38 year old mustache off to see if it helps. If I can get a good seal at my pressures with this mask I know I will like it and I can deal with not having any facial hair. First the beard then the 'stache, as Sara Palin would say, gosh darn it!

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

nightjar

Re: There went the 'stache!

Post by nightjar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:59 pm

deerhound wrote:When I tried the mask on I had some pretty good leaks around my mustache so I shaved my 38 year old mustache off to see if it helps.
Dang, deerhound! I've had my 'stache about 30 years, and . . . well, I hope I'm not deluding myself by thinking it isn't causing significant leaks.

Your doctor and all the other folks you deal with sound great. I'll see my doctor on Thursday; I wonder if they'll let me take home a new mask--especially since I don't like the one they foisted on me in late September!

Good luck with your therapy--and don't scare yourself in the mirror!

nath

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:15 pm

My wife has made it clear that if my mustache goes, she goes. I think it's a matter of 'anything that helps to hide my face,' or something.

WhiteBeard

Post by WhiteBeard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:49 pm

I went that route with shaving when I was on BiPAP set at 20/16 and I still couldn't stop the leaks, although I must admit I never did shave off the 'stache'! I've had it since 1970 and just can't get myself to take a razor to it! Anyway I grew the beard all back, thought if I was going to have leaks might as well be comfortable with them! Now that I am on the VPAP ASV I use the Liberty mask and is seems to be doing alright, I just make sure the mask seals are really clean, and I wash my face and beard really good just before putting the mask on, in fact I get a lower leak rate if my whiskers are slightly damp or wet when putting on the mask. I was a career man in the Air Force and had to shave everyday sometimes more, I hate shaving! so when I retired I thru the razor away and that was in 91. I figure as long as I can keep the AHI's down, mine average between 0.3 and 1.2 most of the time, I am Happy!
ResMed VPAP Adapt SV Enhanced with HumidAire 2i, ResLink with Nonin 8000 Pulse OximeterSensor,ResScan 3.5 Software, Respironics EverFlo OPI Oxygen Concentrator 3 lpm EEP 9.0, Min PS 6.0, Max PS 16.0

dcryandc

Post by dcryandc » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:39 am

I also grew a beard and 'stache the day I was discharged from the Air Force in 1975! I have had them ever since. I find that putting tape over my 'stache (which I must do to seal my mouth at night) helps to give me a good mask seal. I use the 3M surgical tape, which peels off without much pull/"ouch".

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:51 am

I still have my 'stache and I'm doing fine.
I did trim it back when I was testing different
masks, but now it is coming back.
I just say NO to leaks.

"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

nightjar

Post by nightjar » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:42 am

Carbonman, I'm worried about that bump in your leak line about 5:15-5:22 or so into your sleep data. I mean, you almost hit 50LPM there. What's up with that? Aren't you concerned?

HA. I wish my leak report looked like that.I mean, on a very good night it looks pretty decent, but usually it's like looking at a cross-section of the Appalachians or such.

Maybe a new maask would do the trick. Maybe if I rode my bike more.

Anyway, that leak data is very impressive!

nath

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:58 am

nightjar wrote:Maybe a new maask would do the trick. nath
You need to go FULL.

......I really don't know how you people sleep w/those things stuck on the end of your nose.

Just remember, once you go full, you'll never go back.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

WhiteBeard

Post by WhiteBeard » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:31 pm

nope carbonman can't do it! I've tried just about every full face there is, get too many leaks at the bridge of my nose, and I just can't stand the pressure they on the bridge. I'll just keep on with the Liberty until something really new comes out that is designed just for us bearded folk.
ResMed VPAP Adapt SV Enhanced with HumidAire 2i, ResLink with Nonin 8000 Pulse OximeterSensor,ResScan 3.5 Software, Respironics EverFlo OPI Oxygen Concentrator 3 lpm EEP 9.0, Min PS 6.0, Max PS 16.0

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:57 pm

You need to go FULL.
......I really don't know how you people sleep w/those things stuck on the end of your nose.

I SO agree! And, I found that the pressure on my upper lip from those nasal masks made my teeth feel a little numb in the morning, even though the mask wasn't overly tightened. Hooray for FFM & moustaches ;<)

Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

nightjar

Post by nightjar » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:13 pm

deerhound wrote:First the beard then the 'stache, as Sara Palin would say, gosh darn it!
In all likelihood, deerhound, President-elect Obama is disappointed with you: the word is that he's disappointed that Bill Richardson shaved his beard, so I read. HA!
carbonman wrote:Just remember, once you go full, you'll never go back.
Maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can get one during my visit with my sleep doctor. Who knows? Maybe the sleep clinic will have a freebie Mirage Ultra FF. . . .

Sure wish I could get a Mirage Ultra II nasal tomorrow, if nothing else.

I'll shave my beard come the vernal equinox, but the moustache ain't goin' nowhere. . . .

nath

Last edited by nightjar on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Well, ... I tried the Liberty last night er this morning and for the first 5 minutes I was in heaven. No leaks, great comfort, man is thing gonna be great. Then I rolled over to my side. I couldn't stop the leaks for anything. Since it was past 2:00 AM (things got hectic at 9:00 PM and took a few hours to solve) and I needed sleep I went back to my Quattro. Had a nice few hours of sleep. Not going to try it tonight cause I'm too tired but I am looking forward to another shot at the Liberty tomorrow night. I know if I can solve the details I think it going to be a great mask. If not I grow the mustache back, a win win situation if I ever heard of one!
Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

FuzzyGuest

Post by FuzzyGuest » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:18 am

I always chime in on these facial hair threads. I hate you guys I can't find any mask that works with my goatee without leaking, and I've tried almost every one of 'em! Tried all the other tricks, too...taping, strips, chinstraps, extra bands. Nothing works. I won't shave, so I wait for someone to design a new mask. Maybe someday.

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:00 am

FuzzyGuest wrote: . . . leaking . . . tricks . . . Nothing works. . . . Maybe someday.
My tricks: Nasal pillows, a mouthpiece to keep my jaw closed, and a cheap stretchy sports headband worn diagonally from the crown of my head to the front of my chin to keep my bottom lip pushed up and prevent lip flutters.

roster

Post by roster » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:13 am

FuzzyGuest wrote:I always chime in on these facial hair threads. I hate you guys I can't find any mask that works with my goatee without leaking, and I've tried almost every one of 'em! Tried all the other tricks, too...taping, strips, chinstraps, extra bands. Nothing works. I won't shave, so I wait for someone to design a new mask. Maybe someday.
I bet a properly tweaked Hybrid mask would. If you try it, I can give you some tips. http://www.respcare.com/hybrid/

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related