Arrgh. Stupid insurance rant

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:53 pm

gracie, if you can get a copy of your current prescription (I'd think you'd have the right to have that) and if you have the financial means to buy your own equipment out of your own pocket, you need not interrupt your cpap treatment at all.

You could buy your own equipment from an online store like cpap.com. Only the machine needs a prescription to buy. Everything else - masks, humidifiers, software, etc., need no prescription at all.

In some cases, people have been able to get their insurance company to reimburse them at least some on equipment purchased from online stores. But if insurance reimbursement really matters, you'd want to check that thoroughly, get it in writing, and get the names of anyone you talked to by phone at the insurance company.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:44 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry, I'm going to yank this post back to my original complaint. With some good news! I sent in my "angry" letter with my check for the full amount they charged. I just got a call from the owner of the company and he said it was completely a billing mistake. I should have been covered as an in-plan user the whole way. He said he had written all over the setup request to bill at the in-plan rate (i.e. 90/10) and the billing company made a mistake.

He said it was the nicest complaint letter he ever read. Even thanked me since he said he never would have known about the mixup unless I had written the letter.

So whether the above is just a story or not, I'm pretty happy. I even got an apology call direct from the owner of the company. So I guess it does pay to let people know when you feel something isn't right.

So they ain't all bad guys out there...