Is it possible?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
taberge

Is it possible?

Post by taberge » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:16 am

Thanksgiving day and the nap after the meal, I woke up afterwards and the family was amazed I did not snore not once. I know that in the past,I have been accused of leveling entire forests with my zzz saws. It could be the weight loss I have achieved. Or, having to learn to breath nasally from a CPAP might be another reason. Is it possible to actually not snore anymore?

WearyOne

Re: Is it possible?

Post by WearyOne » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:23 am

Did you have your cpap on during your nap? (Hope so.) It's possible not to snore with cpap. And yes, losing weight can also lessen how much you snore.

Pam

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:30 pm

taberge, congratulations on the weight loss. Yes, it's possible that the weight loss took care of snoring -- especially if you were sitting fairly upright or were in a recliner rather than lying on a bed during your Thanksgiving day nap.

I'm sure you already know not to count on "no longer snoring" to be an indication that your OSA is cured. Might be gone, but most likely still resides in the back of your throat.

I know that you, taberge, weren't asking if absence of snoring meant you were cured. I just wanted to throw this in, in case people new to "CPAP" were thinking that might be the logical conclusion to draw.

Weight loss has been the key to a cure for some OSA'ers, but more often than not the best to be hoped for is perhaps less CPAP pressure needed while sleeping.

If anyone who has been relieved of their snoring via weight loss or a dental device wants to really know if their lack of snoring means their apnea is cured, the best way to find out for sure is: a PSG sleep study.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

boston

Post by boston » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:26 pm

I have snored like a freight train since around 10-12 years old. My wife says now that the few nights I didnt wear my mask (allergies had me stuffed up, I now have a FF mask for those times) I hardly snored at all and it was much quieter

CamiTampa

Post by CamiTampa » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:53 pm

I have always been a very bad snorer. With my Cpap I do not snore at all, (so says my wife,) and if I take my mask off at 4 am and go back to sleep until the alarm goes off at 5 am I still do not snore. But If I try to sleep the night without the mask I will start to snore within 2 hours. And most times I will wake up repeatedly with major Apnea events within the first half hour.

I believe that the cpap therapy will allow me that hour, but not a minute more. I have to agree with Rested Gal :
I'm sure you already know not to count on "no longer snoring" to be an indication that your OSA is cured. Might be gone, but most likely still resides in the back of your throat.
Cami

taberge

Post by taberge » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:36 am

Yes I was in a recliner and no the cpap is not coming off unless my doctor says I'm cured, but that is a BIG wish. My problem is more genetic and I doubt I will be able to free myself of the cpap. Besides, I feel so much better now than I have ever been in months. I was just asking could not snoring anymore be a possibility. I had just assumed that once a snorebody always a snorebody. This sleep science thing is still new to me and I'm learning everyday with much thanks to this site I might add. My AHI started off around 1.0 at a setting of 10 and has slowly reduced to a 0.5 while using my cpap. Leaks are in normal parameters according to the graph in the manual for my mask at a setting of 10, a showing of 33.2 L/m. Now that Turkeyday is over I'm gonna cal that DME guy back to see if that card reader and software package are on the way.