Sinus headaches

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Andy99

Sinus headaches

Post by Andy99 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:49 pm

I have been on Cpap for three nights now and every late afternoon or early evening since I have been on it I have gotten bad Sinus headaches. The first day I didnt think anything of it. But now its been all three days. Id this just my body trying to adjust to the machine. I use a warm humidifier. I have it set on 3 out of 5. Any more then that and My mask get all wet inside. WIll these headaches go away over time???

jrt

Re: Sinus headaches

Post by jrt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:02 pm

Lowering or turning off the heat setting helps.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:30 pm

Definitely lower the humidity or stop using it altogether (it's a comfort feature, not therapy in itself).

JayC

Post by JayC » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:07 pm

Your mask and how/where it sits on your face may also be contributing......have you tried others?

I woke from my sleep study/titration (only half the night on mask) with ache/pain from mask sitting on my sinuses. I also awoke feeling pretty great even with the headache!!

Anyway, alone with daily sinus sinses, and a Swift LT mask, I have no headache when I mask up before I fall asleep.

Worth a try....

J

Andy99

Post by Andy99 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:00 pm

thanks for the advice

My head is killing me even after 2 aspirins. Im not looking forward to puting that mask on and going to sleep tonight

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:08 pm

I would try taking a hot steamy shower and clearing your nose while you are at it, or try a saline rhino rinse. Don't use any sprays or Decongestants as they will prolong it and make it worse. About the only thing I would try is some ExecedrinMigrane. If you have TylenolPM that might help.

CPAP is probably drying your nasal passages out and pushing allergens deeper into your sinuses. If it shows up behind the eyes it is a sinus headache like you say.

Those are killer, I'd take a migraine over one of those any day and I've had both.

Lack of sleep brings them on for me.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

MusicMan

Post by MusicMan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:47 pm

I used to get frequent sinus or migraine headaches and I got rid of them with Vitamin B12 tabs. Not sure if it will work for you, but I thought I'd throw it out there. It's cheap and harmless, and can only help. I have no idea why it worked for me. I'd be interested to see if it helps anyone else. I've been taking about 3000mcg a day in tabs, and I just started using the liquid form.

Please don't take this as anything but a tip on what helped me. You may need to see a doctor and I don't want to give you any false hopes.

MusicMan

Post by MusicMan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:50 pm

Snoredog wrote:...or try a saline rhino rinse.
That helps me too... I do it at least once or twice a month. I just use warm tap water and the sea salt in the squeeze bottle. It usually clears me out pretty good. It's supposed to keep you from getting sinus infections, and knock on wood... I haven't had one ever since I started using it - and it's been over a year. I used to get them frequently.