CPAP Dental Problems?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
aa737

Re: CPAP Dental Problems?

Post by aa737 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:25 am

Has anyone had tooth alignment problems using a nasal mask?
I had braces on my uppers years ago and I have the feeling the nasal mask (which I love) may have slight pressure against the front teeth roots. Visit to ortho guy may be in order. (I use light tension on all straps)

bawexpress

Post by bawexpress » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:17 pm

I recently had a crown on my front tooth and after a month the tooth became loose, i went back to the dentist and he said it was not supposed to happen and cemented it back. Well about a month and a half later it happened again. He was surprised and could not figure out what was going on and said I might have a fracture where the post is inserted. Well to make a long story short, I gambled and came to CPAP talk and was surprised to see these post. I do keep my bottom straps sort of tight, because the escaping air will wake me. I use a Full face mask, and have the nasal pillows, but they seem to irritate me. I am going to let the dentist know I wear a cpap mask and discuss some other options. I have loosened the straps considerably, and might try one more cementing before having to go the implant route, which is not covered by my insurance. Thanks everyone, your post have given me some insight into why my crowns are loose. I will let you know what my dentist thinks.

Dive Apnea

Post by Dive Apnea » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:24 pm

Hoover wrote:I finally saw an orthodontist who made me night guards that I snap on before sleeping and movement and tooth soreness has stopped.
what did this cost? Did you insurance co cover it, due to your sleep apnea diagnosis?

I have been clenching my jaw, but only on CPAP for 5 days.
Pressure: 10

sandi970@yahoo.com

Post by sandi970@yahoo.com » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:42 pm

CindyJean wrote:I've been on cpap for three-four weeks now and I just switched to the optilife nasal cradel. Since the switch I've noticed a little tenderness in my front upper teeth. While there is some small pressure against my top lip with the new mask, it hasn't been uncomfortable. Is there a chance it could be damaging my teeth??
I just started using Cpap about 7 weeks ago and have also been concerned about pressure on the teeth with possible realignment. I too was told they had never heard of such a thing! So glad to see I'm not alone here. This morning, woke up with bleeding gums and now am afraid to use the machine til I can get back to see respiratory therapist again on Monday ...

Liam

Post by Liam » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 pm

I hate to say it but i feel like you guys are a tad wrong. Cpap when administered through the mouth definitely does something bad to the teeth. It isn't them drying out because my mouth has been dry every morning my whole life and my teeth were white and great. I started using cpap a few weeks ago and they hurt, look worse, etc. I think it has something to do with a. the air pressure pushing into your teeth fibers, and or b. the distilled water (which is scientifically proven to be "acidic" and "aggressive" and it wants to steal calcium and other minerals to balance itself out. I would recommend trying spring water with a high TDS (total dissolved solids or minerals.) and see if that helps a bit. I mean, ya gotta use cpap if your miserable without it, and if you can't make breathing through your nose with a nasal mask and a piece of tape over your mouth, your teeth may have to bite the dust a bit. I know this is the trade off i am currently facing

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 pm

You are welcome to use any solutions you choose, but bear in mind that they are most unusual.
There are reasons for using sterile distilled water--it is neutral, not acidic, especially as vapor.
Any chemist worth his salt will concur. Mineralized water will make your tank difficult to clean
due to mineral deposits, and the biofilm which the extra minerals may feed.
As for oral cpap interfaces, they are indeed a last resort--nasal is much better if you can breathe through your nose.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:06 am

Your teeth may be deteriorating due to later life development of 'silent' GERD that so often accompanies OSA. And I seriously doubt that air pressure has any impact whatsoever on intact enamel (not fibrous!).

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:01 am

Liam wrote:distilled water (which is scientifically proven to be "acidic" and "aggressive" and it wants to steal calcium and other minerals to balance itself out.
You have scientific proof of this? I'd love to see it.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:20 pm

After calibrating my pH meter I find that my distilled water has a pH of 5.4. Acidic.

Now the question comes to if distilled water vapor is also acidic...

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:28 am

Distilled water has a pH of 7.0

Tap water is usually slightly acidic but neither are going to cause damage from the heated humidified in your CPAP. My personal preference is to use tap water and replace the humidifier chamber more often (on my remstar auto they are relatively inexpensive.) For me, it is more economical and practical to replace the chamber every 6 months than buy distilled water bottles.

This is all off topic though; I have found using the comfort gel full face mask that it seems like it is shifting my teeth, especially my bottom teeth. I have used it for about 4 years now and am starting to get to the point where I'd like to see an orthodontist about it.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:53 am

Did you actually bother to measure the pH of your distilled water?

adc51469

Post by adc51469 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi. I have used cpap for about 6 years now. I use the Comfort Fusion mask that fits like a triangle around the nose. 18 months ago I noticed that my bite wasn't lining up anymore and my teeth were only making contact in the front and at my wisdom teeth (i have all 4). The teeth in between were no longer making contact when I bit down. I can't chew through all foods especially fiberous veggies ie. Rapini, lettuce etc.. I have to bring them to the front of my mouth to bite through them. My dentist was stumped. He sent me to an orthodontist whom suggested I go see an oral surgeon because he isn't sure if he can fix the whole problem with braces alone. Spoke to surgeon and I don't want to go through all that because other than not being able to bite through some foods I am fine. No pain etc... The only logical conclusion we all came to is that the Cpap mask has pushed my top front teeth back and the bottom front teeth are making contact with them about the mid point of my top front teeth. I will probably get braces now but all the docs suggested changing my cpap mask.

I have looked at other masks and am not sure which to go with to avoid more issues with my teeth. Any suggestions?!

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:20 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:After calibrating my pH meter I find that my distilled water has a pH of 5.4. Acidic.

Now the question comes to if distilled water vapor is also acidic...
http://www.vernier.com/til/1286/

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:25 pm

I noticed that a previous mask was starting to cause my teeth to shift--I stopped using it right away.
My current mask puts no pressure at all on my teeth or gums.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:44 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I noticed that a previous mask was starting to cause my teeth to shift--I stopped using it right away.
My current mask puts no pressure at all on my teeth or gums.
I didn't think frogs HAD teeth...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.