newbie with software questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kuc-zzz

newbie with software questions

Post by kuc-zzz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi,

I've been lurking around this forum for a couple months now, just soaking up as much info as I can.
First and foremost, a big thank you to each of you who provide us newbies with the information and support we so desperately require to adjust to CPAP treatment. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and started therapy about 2 1/2 months ago. Like most newbies, from the moment I got my sleep study results, every so called "professional" I came across told me how great I would feel once I started using the CPAP machine.

To make a long story short, the first week of treatment was one of the worst weeks of my life. To say I felt like I was hit by a freight train is the understatement of the century. The only thing that kept me going was finding this forum! You guys showed me that everything I was experiencing was normal and that there is light at the end of tunnel as long as I stick with it and take control of my own treatment. So again, thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I am finally starting to feel some improvement from my treatment and my wife has noticed some positive improvements in me as well. I am able to view my nightly sleep results on the LCD of my S8 machine, but I would like to take it to the next level and get the resmed 3.5 software. Unfortunately I cant find any where to buy it in Canada. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can get the software?

thanks,

kuc-zzz

no_time_for_apnea

Re: newbie with software questions

Post by no_time_for_apnea » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:34 pm

I have a related question. The "Collective Wisdom" and lots of other threads on this site give very convincing reasons why getting a data-capable machine can improve the success of a treatment. But I haven't found a good comparison of the software packages. Are they all basically the same? Do different data-capable models from the same company require different software? I'm a software developer so I'm very interested in the details. If someone could point me to the information, I would be glad to write it up so it could be available to others. Is the "Collective Wisdom" section open for contributions?

Like kuc-zzz, I wasn't really given any warning by my doctor that getting used to a CPAP would be really hard, and I might have already given up if I hadn't read so many supportive posts on this site.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:07 pm

The software would direct my choice of machine, almost as much as having treatment options. It needs to present the data in a useful format, but if you can't abtain it, it's a moot point or if your machine doesn't support it.

My choices in order of worth would be:

1. Encore Pro or if you have to Encoreviewer, the second rate product. For Remstar XPAPS

2. Silverlining 3.10 for Puritan Bennett machines

3. Soft Sandman 1.1, a new comer from Puritan Bennett, for their new line.

4. Rescan version 3.3 for Resmed units
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

papdad

Post by papdad » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:00 pm

Link to ResMed software: http://www.thecpapshop.com/cpap-software/31068.html
This is the 3.5 version. CPAP.com has the 3.3 version
Luck, Norm
ResMed VPAP Auto 25 - HumidAire 4i - Mirage Quattro FF - Invacare Platinum XL & Homefill II

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:50 pm

no_time_for_apnea wrote:I have a related question. The "Collective Wisdom" and lots of other threads on this site give very convincing reasons why getting a data-capable machine can improve the success of a treatment. But I haven't found a good comparison of the software packages. Are they all basically the same? Do different data-capable models from the same company require different software? I'm a software developer so I'm very interested in the details. If someone could point me to the information, I would be glad to write it up so it could be available to others. Is the "Collective Wisdom" section open for contributions?

Like kuc-zzz, I wasn't really given any warning by my doctor that getting used to a CPAP would be really hard, and I might have already given up if I hadn't read so many supportive posts on this site.
Your machine doesn't use software. The machine has to use software and collect useful data, then you have to use the software that's made for that machine. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

no_time_for_apnea

Post by no_time_for_apnea » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Goofproof wrote: Your machine doesn't use software. The machine has to use software and collect useful data, then you have to use the software that's made for that machine. Jim
Yeah, I know. When I first posted that message, I hadn't filled in my profile yet, so it didn't occur to me that I should explain that I have a rental from a DME right now, but that my insurance will buy me a unit in a few months if I continue with the therapy. Obviously, I'd like to make sure whatever one gets bought for me is data-capable, and I'm wondering if there is more difference in the software packages than in the CPAP machines themselves. But I'm getting the impression that all the software packages have pretty much the same information, and the main difference seems to be ease-of-use...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:58 pm

Pracitcally any machine that's set correctly can treat you. What you need to know is how to set it the best for you and how good are you doing in getting the best treatment. That's why you need the software and readers, they can show you much more useful data than the screen, and in real time. (When & where)

So when you get a machine remember the more options the better, if your machine doesn't have the options you want you can't add them later, in the long run it's cheaper to get what you want the first time.

echo

Post by echo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:11 am

As a recap for newbies, here's a good thread that covers the different types of machines and what all the options mean (e.g. AFLEX, CFLEX): Whats the differences in BIPAP, XPAP, APAP, CFLEX, and another on data capable machines (and insurance) , and CPAP machine choices. (All of this is in "our wisdom" above under the yellow light bulb).

no_time_for_apnea: There have been plenty of posts on the software, but nothing in the Our Wisdom section that I know of.

Anyone can submit posts for the 'Our Wisdom section - just click 'Add Article' at the bottom of the 'Our Wisdom' page and enter your post. The moderators will review and add the article to the collective wisdom.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!