I Need Answers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lindas88

I Need Answers

Post by lindas88 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:31 pm

I want to know if anyone else is having this problem...every night I wake up and feel like I am in a panic and I can't wait to get the mask off. Some mornings I even wake up and find the mask sitting on my night stand and don't remember doing it. This has been going on for a month now....but since getting my new mask I am sleeping much better but I am still waking up in a panic but now once I wake up I realize that I have to put it back on and I do. It only ever happens no more than once a night. Did anyone else do this when they first started the treatment and if so will I get better. My pressure is set on 11. It starts at 5 and after 45 minutes gets to 11. It doesn't bother me to wake up and breath at 11 so I don't think it is that. Any suggestions?
*** Linda ***

MartiniLover

Post by MartiniLover » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:46 pm

OK everyone, line up behind me.

Yes, it is very common. I think there is a lot more that have had this happen than not.

My doctor gave me this advice. "Quit doing that!" It worked and I did. Very seldom do I do it any more. You may be sleeping deeper, when you do this. Wake up, put the mask back on and go back to sleep.

Bipap 13/9, 10ft Hose

littlebaddow

Post by littlebaddow » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:40 pm

Yep, I'm in line. Been there, done that.
I know it sounds glib to say it, but you've just got to tell yourself to stop doing it.
Sleeping with a mask on is not natural, so it's bound to take time to get used to it. Some seem to adapt in days, others take months, but the key point is you can get used to it if you persevere. Keep telling yourself the consequences of giving up far outweigh the discomfort.
Good luck.

lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:50 pm

Thank you for your replies...it's nice to know I'm not alone on this and hopefully it will end soon...and yes, it does feel like I'm in a much deeper sleep then I have been in years. It feels great.
*** Linda ***

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:51 pm

Hi Linda88,

In addition to being stern with yourself, you might also try whispering some simple, childlike chants to yourself as you lie there waiting to drift off to sleep:

"This mask is good. It's saving my life. I'll keep it on while I sleep."

Of course, you want to be sure you are wearing a mask that's comfortable.

It's natural for us to reach up to bat something away from the face. Takes time to get used to sleeping with it on.

As Janelle has said before, "That's your life hanging on the bedpost. Use it."

Some people find that having several masks (different types or even a backup of same one) to rotate among from night to night helps, when one mask becomes bothersome. Pressure from same mask on the same place on the face, night after night, can get annoying.

lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:06 pm

Hi rested gal...thanks for replying. I will try telling myself before I go to sleep that this is a good thing and I will not take it off. Like I said before...I was taking it off then leaving it off and but now I am at least aware that I am waking up and taking it off....so I guess that is a step in the right direction.

The mask I have now is very comfortable...well, as comfortable as a mask can be. I tried a few before I found this one and I am feeling better about the whole thing. I was so frustrated at first.

Yes, I guess that is my life hanging on the bedpost...and sometimes the floor ...haha.

I appreciate all the answers I received.
*** Linda ***

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:45 pm

To help get yourself acclimated to having the mask on your face, try wearing it for naps. You want to get to the point where your body and your psyche equate it with REST.

Good luck with it. Like RG said, wearing something over our faces is not natural. In fact we naturally wake up if something touches our faces, so this is a natural reaction that we need to change.

Hahaha! I used to manage an archeology lab where, among other things, I was working with small artifacts - both stone and ceramic. I was able to train myself so that if something slipped through my fingers, my knees would automatically clamp together to prevent the object from falling to the floor and breaking. It worked pretty well. In fact, one day my family came up to visit me and took me out to dinner. During the course of the meal I dropped some mashed potatoes from my fork. Yup! You got it::: My knees clamped together and squished the mashed potatoes between the legs of my jeans!!! I had really trained myself well!

So you see, it CAN be done!
- JB
PB GK425 BiPAP 12/3
F&P HC105 heated Ambient Tracking Humdifier
F&P FlexiFit407 Nasal Mask/ Resmed Swift
"shapeable" pillow

sleeplesssue

Post by sleeplesssue » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:26 pm

I used to wake up with anxiety before cpap. I have anxiety if I don't use it. Without cpap I might wake up with an "anxiety attack", a headache, migraine, or vomiting. I can't do that anymore. I haven't had an "anxiety attack" since I started, and no headaches either.

I won't sleep without it.

sleepyman

Post by sleepyman » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:07 pm

This is only my third night but last night I woke up to find my mask on the floor. I put it back on and slept two more hours for a total of 7.5 hrs. I'm not sure how long it was off but I seem to go a little longer each night. Like sleeplessue I used to wake up sweating and short of breath now more rested and energetic each day. No way I'll give in til I'm a happy hosehead.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:24 am

I'm using the Nasal Aire II prongs interface which leaves no mask over your face. It just has two light weight hoses affixed to to nasal "prongs" (which are just soft squishy cones that fit into each nostril). Once I got the right size prongs, its been great. I've found that initially, before they "warm up" in my nose, I am more aware of them, but when I put ky jelly on the outsides of each nasal prong before putting them in my nose, its much nicer and no anxiety or panic. Like anything else used for cpap, it is not a "natural" thing to have something putting air into your nose during the night, but it is much better than having a stroke or heart attack because of apnea. These are easy to use if you tend to toss and turn in your sleep, sleep on your side, stomach or back...I love them! T

Flower51 Terry

ps.

Post by Flower51 Terry » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:25 am

Also....if you decide to use nasal prongs, from what I understand, a heated humidifier is a must. T

lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:47 am

Thanks for all the answers...

ahujudybear...what a good laugh that story was and I get the point that we can train ourselves to do what we want. Last night I took it off again but I think this time it was more near the morning. I was having trouble with my mask feeling damp all night and it keep waking me up...it doesn't usually do that...I think I might have to turn down the humidifier.

sleeplesssue...wow...you woke up with some terrible things happening to you...I used to wake up with my heart pounding to the point that I would sit up in bed because it felt so scary...I always blamed it on my husband's snoring thinking it woke me up startled but since having CPAP I haven't done that since and my husbands snoring doesn't seem to wake me anymore. ( He has to have nose surgery and has been waiting since January for the call ) I am so glad you are doing wonderful with this cpap.

Guest...I have heard a lot of good about those Nasal Aire II prongs and I think the next time I have to change my mask I will ask about them. I'll keep them in mind.

Thanks to all for the advice...

*** Linda ***

lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:58 am

sleepyman...I forgot to reply to you...you're like me...I was going to keep trying until I have this figured out...I needed some sleep big time. I used to dread going to bed...around 9 or 10 I would start feeling dread and hated the thought of spending a whole night half awake. Now I don't feel that way because I am sleeping much better...I am starting to enjoy going to bed....and what a nice feeling that is. I am still trying to get used to this whole thing but I am getting better at it everyday. So let's keep trying and I'm sure we'll not use our floors soon....haha.
*** Linda ***

kramerman

Post by kramerman » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:33 pm

I had problems too with a mask on my nose. It isn't normal for having a mask on your nose on your nose at night.
Have you thought about changing your mask to a nasal pillow system? They sit under your nose instead of over your nose. I use the Mirage Swift by ResMed. It is a comfortable mask and it isn't confining like nasal masks are.

yawn

Post by yawn » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:04 pm

I've been trying a variety of masks and nasal gadgets (don't know what to call them). Every time I wear a mask, I wake up during the night and find that it's on the floor and my CPAP is turned off. I don't get it, I don't remember taking it off. At first I thought maybe my subconcious was feeling claustrophobic so I got a new mask yesterday (Activa) and tried that. I thought it was really comfortable and it sealed up great, but once again, I found it on the floor in the middle of the night. So, I got up and put it back on. When I woke up this morning, I still had it on (yea!). That gave me lots of encouragement.
I'm still new to all of this and my preference is to wear a nasal gadget rather than a mask, but I can't get the nasal gadgets to fit right. The Activa worked the best so far. I guess I also have to convince my subconcious that the mask is a good thing. I am really looking forward to get a few consecutive nights of good sleep..I want to know what it feels like to not be tired all of the time. Good luck tonight! Amy