Hearing loss due to Cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoocrewphoto

Re: Hearing loss due to Cpap

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun May 24, 2015 2:02 am

cancun wrote:
palerider wrote:
Goofproof wrote:I don't supposed as you used XPAP, you aged, maybe your eyes got worse, your hair fell out, and your skin dried out and wrinkled. My toenails grew too.
up next! cpap causes toenails to grow!!
I was doing a search on my strep throat symptoms today and one of the sites where "doctors" answer questions said the spots on the throat could be caused by CPAP use. Seems that CPAP can be blamed for just about anything. I will find a way to blame it for my laziness!

I had the white spots a few weeks. I also had a really bad sore throat. The doctor did a test for strep, and that was negative. I got some medications to reduce the swelling (almost instant relief) and cough medicine. Cpap was never considered. Of course, it was pretty obvious that I had a really bad cough and sore throat, most likely a response to the big allergy attack and asthma I was experiencing.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 24, 2015 10:18 am

cancun wrote: . . . Seems that CPAP can be blamed for just about anything. I will find a way to blame it for my laziness!
Now there's a plan!
Hmmm, lessee, what can I blame it on?
---darn, I come up empty!

Sjohnson

Post by Sjohnson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:59 pm

My story is the same as Richard's. CPAP over 15 years, pressure at 11. Sudden hearing loss. Woke one day and my ears felt dry. One week latter, sudden hearing loss. I have battled dry eyes ever since starting the CPAP. Now it is the ears and possibly permanent hearing loss.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:15 pm

Sjohnson wrote:My story is the same as Richard's. CPAP over 15 years, pressure at 11. Sudden hearing loss. Woke one day and my ears felt dry. One week latter, sudden hearing loss. I have battled dry eyes ever since starting the CPAP. Now it is the ears and possibly permanent hearing loss.
everything is cpap's fault.. never aging, never anything else. amazing, huh?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:04 pm

Have you asked a doctor about Sjogren's ('show grens') Syndrome? It's related to arthritis and dries up varies things it shouldn't... not uncommon.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:05 pm

palerider wrote:
Sjohnson wrote:My story is the same as Richard's. CPAP over 15 years, pressure at 11. Sudden hearing loss. Woke one day and my ears felt dry. One week latter, sudden hearing loss. I have battled dry eyes ever since starting the CPAP. Now it is the ears and possibly permanent hearing loss.
I broke my nail this morning! Oh no it must be cpap's fault. Funny, my dad has never been on cpap but his hearing has been going too as well as his sight, it must be my cpap machine reaching across town to work its evil!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:07 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
palerider wrote:
I broke my nail this morning! Oh no it must be cpap's fault. Funny, my dad has never been on cpap but his hearing has been going too as well as his sight, it must be my cpap machine reaching across town to work its evil!
it's the *thought* of you being on cpap that's causing his health to fail!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:22 pm

I did have some permanent hearing loss earlier this year and while cpap made the situation worse for a time, it was not the cause. ENT did say there are some occasions where cpap must stop (in some cases, bipap is a better choice), but since it wasn't the situation with me, I didn't delve further. I wish I could give you more suggestions, but if you haven't seen an ENT, then do so. I lost my hearing due to a delay in proper treatment. My primary isn't dumb, by any means, but I have a chronic problem that should have been referred earlier.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:49 pm

Good advice!
Go to the appropriate DOCTOR, as soon as possible!
If not, and it gets worse, you have no one/nothing to blame but YOURSELF!

RJKling16

Post by RJKling16 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:06 am

I had a major hearing loss since August of 2016. I went to an ENT in November of 2016. His comment was: "you have pressure in your ears" and "do your know what may have caused this". My reply was that I use a cpap machine. The doctor said, Yep, that will do it. The doctor didn't suggest anything other than hearing aids.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:53 am

RJKling16 wrote:I had a major hearing loss since August of 2016. I went to an ENT in November of 2016. His comment was: "you have pressure in your ears" and "do your know what may have caused this". My reply was that I use a cpap machine. The doctor said, Yep, that will do it. The doctor didn't suggest anything other than hearing aids.
Curious....Does the Dr sell hearing aids?
http://www.md-health.com/Pressure-In-Ear.html

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:28 am

Fire that QUACK!
Please read LSAT's linked article.

singsingsing

Post by singsingsing » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:07 pm

To palerider and cancun,
Aren't we supposed to help each other? I was so glad to be able to share issues and get advice, because none of my friends or my Drs were of any assistance to the issues at hand. I was made fun of with my first post, and what was said was unkind. One other commented tsk tsk to the unkind response I received that day. I haven't been back since and that was about 4 months ago.

I had 100% turn around the day after the sleep study 4 months ago. As time progressed here at home I have had challenges.

I do want to comment on the hearing difficulty. I am dealing with the same. A new issue since CPAP is ear wax build up causing hearing difficulties and in 4 months I have had to get several flushes and the Dr has had to go in and clean it all out. I am 63 and never had that issue before. Coincidence? Perhaps. Another hearing loss issue is that in the last 4 months my ears keep blocking as if I was ascending on a plane. You know when you just yawn or swallow and they reopen? Well they don't reopen and I'm in a constant state of blocked hearing. I am making and appointment with an ENT to have it checked out because I am not hard of hearing and have recently before CPAP had a full ENT work up and screening for my hearing.

Another issue is which mask to use. I have gone through 5 and this last one is a full face and it causes deep strap marks , welts on my face, and my eyes are swollen shut in the morning. I do use a CPAP mask cushion, which is no more that a piece of felt that I could have bought myself at Jo Ann Fabrics. I have water pockets under my eyes that don't go away all day. I sleep on my side, and that is the reason my eye right is completely swollen shut. I have had to go the the eye Dr regarding blepharitis, which is an extreme inflammation and swelling of the eyelids and conjunctivitis which I haven't had that for over 15 years. Coincidence? Am I blaming CPAP unfairly?

My eye Dr was so concerned for my eyes that I decided to go off the CPAP for a week. Everything cleared right up with my eyes on no medication. So, I know it was caused by CPAP. However I felt so out of breath and tired, I am very aware I need to use it. So I went right back on it and back to the eye Dr I went with the same problem. Now this time I'm on a very strong antibiotic as the condition has worsened when it came back a second time. He is once again concerned with all of the inflammation.

Everyone is different. One person may have no effects that are negative from CPAP and another may have several. When speaking to the pulmonologist or even your primary they will sometimes tell you that no, it wouldn't cause that. But they are not using these machines, we are. No one knows about it better than we do. I am honest and wouldn't make this stuff up, as I am sure none of us would. We are just looking for support, encouragement, and advice from some who have more time into this, and some who have "been there" and know what equipment is better, or how to avoid some of the issues we are struggling to find answers to.
Lets all help each other and please don't discourage this newbie.

Any mask suggestions? I've tried the nasal pillow but I swallowed air. I tried the medium mask that went above the mouth and it caused jaw pain and I swallowed air. So we are on a full face now but that is causing issues as well.
Is there anyone that has been diagnosed with both sleep apnea and narcolepsy?

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:59 pm

First of all, Cpap does not cause ear wax and does not cause blepharitis. If you don't carefully clean your mask however, there could be issues so it's important to do that every day.

A few people (not many) have been diagnosed with both OSA and narcolepsy, but unless you have a lot of evidence (and testing) to think you might be one of them, I would not worry too much,.

Are you sure your pressure settings are not excessive? Do you know your average AHI's and do you use the (free) Sleepyhead software to look at the many features taking place in your sleep overnight?

Unfortunately as we get older new irritations and condiitons may show up, but I wouldn't blame all on Cpap without more to go by.. And doctors who assume quick, easy answers like that are not doing you any favors.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:30 pm

singsingsing wrote:Am I blaming CPAP unfairly?
ignorance makes all sorts of blame seem reasonable.