CMS 50F Oximeter

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

Re: CMS 50F Oximeter

Post by roster » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:33 am

Is this still a favored meter? I have a chance to pickup a slightly used one dirt cheap. Thanks.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

5aces

Post by 5aces » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:51 am

It is a good oximeter.

If you have thick wrists,you may have to swap out the strap,not a dealbreaker though.

Smaller fingers are harder to read in the one size fits all sensor.
Still,it has worked on everyone that I tested.

Unlike the cheaper models,this one has the coveted internal clock to keep track of the time and date stamps automatically.

Get it.
ImageImage

So Well

Post by So Well » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:31 pm

ca_hosehead wrote:

The unit only records one session. Leave the recording on all night even if you get up. If you turn recording off and then back on, all earlier data is erased. (This applies only to the oximeter itself, once you download the data to the computer you can keep it as long as you like.)
I opened up the box this afternoon, loaded the software easily, put the device in place and recorded for ten minutes. Then it was easy to upload the data and view the results.

Now it sounds like if I want to get up in the morning and leave the data in the device to be uploaded later, I can't turn the device off. Anyone have a clue on this? I don't want to have to upload the data every morning when I get up and I also don't like the idea of leaving the device powered on for a day or more.

Thanks.
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

So Well

Post by So Well » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:46 pm

OK, I figured it out now. I made another recording, turned recording off and turned the device off. Later I turned the device back on and the data was still there and uploaded perfectly.

ca_hosehead, I misread your instructions at first. As you correctly stated the data is erased when you turn recording on a second time not when you power the device on.

Thanks for the very good review ca_hosehead.
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

secret agent girl

Post by secret agent girl » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:06 pm

Last edited by secret agent girl on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hukhuk

Post by hukhuk » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:44 am

What is a camcorder with good video and sound quality and comes with a remote? Okay, so I have an Aiptek A-HD Camcorder, but the sound is crap and you can't edit it. So, I am looking for a new one. It doesn't have to be HD, infact, I don't want it HD, and I want it to be around the $100-$150 mark. I also want it to come with a remote and (optional) a tri-pod. It doesn't have to come with a tri-pod, but that would be the best.

Harrison Bergeron

Post by Harrison Bergeron » Tue May 01, 2012 7:41 pm

CMS 50F Oximeter use with a Mac is quite involved. All I thought I needed to do was install Windows on my Mac. But there is more.

The software comes on a mini-CD and all Macs the last several years use slotted CD readers. An old-fashioned tray loading CD drive needs to be bought.

At this point everything works well, except for printing reports. Print drivers for your printer must be installed. Or to print thru your Mac, a XPS to PDF converter must be installed.

With the rise of more and more people using Macs, it would be nice to have Mac-friendly software with the purchase.

Having said all that, I love the unit and the reports. From what I've read, when one boils down all the things that a CPAP machine does, the big one is keeping one's blood oxygen above 88%.

The Choker

Post by The Choker » Tue May 01, 2012 8:23 pm

Harrison Bergeron wrote: From what I've read, when one boils down all the things that a CPAP machine does, the big one is keeping one's blood oxygen above 88%.
This type of statement might reflect or cause a serious misunderstanding of CPAP therapy. Many with sleep disordered breathing (SDB) do not have desats this low. But they do have many arousals from respiratory disturbances. These arousals are very destructive.

CPAP splints the airway open in order to prevent respiratory disturbances thereby allowing uninterrupted healthy sleep. As a secondary benefit it will also prevent desats in otherwise healthy SDB patients.
T.C.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Tue May 01, 2012 11:06 pm

Harrison Bergeron wrote:From what I've read, when one boils down all the things that a CPAP machine does, the big one is keeping one's blood oxygen above 88%.
not z'actly. i bought a cms50-d+ to show my wife who wasn't using her cpap, what it was doing to her o2. as predicted her o2 was too low below 88% and she started cpap again. then i put it on her to show her how the cpap keeps the o2 levels up. wake up call. wrong answer. the o2 was still low with cpap. the doc ordered a professional o2 study which verified my little oximeter. the next day she had an o2 generator. now, o2 is good.

this makes a strong case against people that go out and get a cpap and treat themselves without seeing the doc or having a sleep study. it is another reason for keeping cpap's under prescription laws.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Wed May 02, 2012 5:48 am

greatunclebill wrote:
Harrison Bergeron wrote:From what I've read, when one boils down all the things that a CPAP machine does, the big one is keeping one's blood oxygen above 88%.
not z'actly. i bought a cms50-d+ to show my wife who wasn't using her cpap, what it was doing to her o2. as predicted her o2 was too low below 88% and she started cpap again. then i put it on her to show her how the cpap keeps the o2 levels up. wake up call. wrong answer. the o2 was still low with cpap. the doc ordered a professional o2 study which verified my little oximeter. the next day she had an o2 generator. now, o2 is good.

this makes a strong case against people that go out and get a cpap and treat themselves without seeing the doc or having a sleep study. it is another reason for keeping cpap's under prescription laws.

A strong case? I think you just proved the opposite. Your wife was treated with CPAP without seeing a doctor. You also took the necessary step of doing an oximetry study without seeing a doctor. The CPAP and the oximeter led you to a diagnosis which was confirmed by the doctor. Your wife avoided the expense, inconvenience and discomfort of a sleep study.

gub, You did a good job with your wife!
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Wed May 02, 2012 5:51 am

From what I've read, when one boils down all the things that a CPAP machine does, the big one is keeping one's blood oxygen above 88%.
The night of my sleep study my blood oxygen saturation never fell below 92%. However I had an AHI of 57 which was making me a very unhealthy puppy.

The "big one" for me was driving the AHI down.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Wed May 02, 2012 7:03 am

NightMonkey wrote:
greatunclebill wrote:

A strong case? I think you just proved the opposite. Your wife was treated with CPAP without seeing a doctor. You also took the necessary step of doing an oximetry study without seeing a doctor. The CPAP and the oximeter led you to a diagnosis which was confirmed by the doctor. Your wife avoided the expense, inconvenience and discomfort of a sleep study.

gub, You did a good job with your wife!
one of us missed something here. my wife did have a sleep study but wasn't using her properly ordered cpap. i got her to start using it again by buying the oximeter. sorry for any misunderstanding.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

leonlimck

Post by leonlimck » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Is this the same pulse oximeter
http://www.amazon.com//dp/B00EGL9SC0/
that you are referring to?

Thanks for the great review by the way.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:13 pm

leonlimck wrote:Is this the same pulse oximeter
http://www.amazon.com//dp/B00EGL9SC0/
that you are referring to?

Thanks for the great review by the way.
er, no, your link points to the "Acc U Rate® OLED Wrist Color Pulse Oximeter with Continuous Reading"

not the CMS50F also available cheaper from china though I bought the slightly nicer cms50i, it has a clock to timestamp your recordings, and can save multiple recordings between downloads.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Chimpanzzz

Post by Chimpanzzz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Any opinions on the iHealth Wireless Pulse Oximeter? It connects with an app on your smartphone. It they claim that "this is not a medical device and is not intended to diagnose or test for medical conditions". But is it good enough...?

$45 on Amazon