CMS 50F Oximeter

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ca_hosehead

CMS 50F Oximeter

Post by ca_hosehead » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:50 am

I recently purchased a CMS-50F Pulse Oximeter.

There is an excellent review of a very similar unit, the Contec CMS 50E from Arizona Willie that can be found here:

viewtopic/t28525/Report-on-CMS50E-Pulse-Oximeter.html

I bought the CMS 50F which is similar in many respects.

The picture here shows the unit and gives a lot of information:

http://www.semedicalsupply.com/cms-50f.htm

There is a larger one here that shows the display:

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/499627/62 ... imeter.jpg

The number to the left is the oxygen level, the number on the right is the pulse rate. Down below you can see your pulse as a wave form.

This unit goes on the wrist and has a rubber fingertip attachment. The attachment is fairly comfortable and doesn't come off easily.

The unit has a lithium battery and is capable of recording for 24 hours. The battery recharges using USB or an included charger.

Reporting and software is very nice and the same as the 50E. You get full night summary reports or detailed reports.

Unlike the CMS 50E, it has a clock chip. You don't have to set the clock each time you start recording.

When it is in recording mode the unit "goes to sleep" and turns off the screen. However, it is possible view your pulse and oxygen while you are recording. If you press the button the display comes on and it will stay on for a minute or so before turning off again (the display is off while recording to save the battery).

The unit is well made to all appearances. The menu system wasn't particularly hard to get around in. The manual is in "Chinglish" but as such things go it's really pretty good.

I had a good experience ordering from http://www.semedicalsupply.com. Service from them was very good. I had a small problem (I wasn't doing something right) when downloading the information and they were very helpful and quick to respond.

ca_hosehead

Re: CMS 50F Oximeter

Post by ca_hosehead » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:22 pm

Now that I've been settling in with it a little there are a couple of things to note.

When you first put the sensor on, fiddle with it or change it from one finger to the other, it can lose the signal. It can then take a minute or so for the readings to "settle." This can make it look like you've had a desat when you didn't. When checking the report, print out the "full study" report that gives the minute by minute detail. If you see a break in the line, that indicates a period where it wasn't able to record. Readings right after this break can be ignored. You can also see this break as a grey line as opposed to a colored one if you prefer to view the reports on the computer.

The unit only records one session. Leave the recording on all night even if you get up. If you turn recording off and then back on, all earlier data is erased. (This applies only to the oximeter itself, once you download the data to the computer you can keep it as long as you like.)

I have found that I can see the sleep cycles in the heart rate data. During a good sleep cycle the heart rate will go very low at first and then rise very slowly as it proceeds through the cycle. At the end of the cycle it will move towards a waking rate. During the deeper part of sleep the heart rate sticks to a very tight range, varying only by a few beats per minute. In a more wakeful state it varies over a much wider range.

Breathing events throw quite a monkey wrench into the pattern of sleep cycles.

It's very interesting to me. With the data capable machine you get data about how you are breathing, but with this you get data about how that breathing is effecting your sleep, how you are reacting to these breathing events.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Nice review, thanks. I see they have a pretty good selection of units and the price is not bad.

The reports look pretty good too:
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

mr sandman

Post by mr sandman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:14 pm

Is the rechargeable battery replaceable? does it have to be sent in or can the user replace it. Can be expensive if you have to buy a new meter when battery goes bad

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:20 pm

mr sandman wrote:Is the rechargeable battery replaceable? does it have to be sent in or can the user replace it. Can be expensive if you have to buy a new meter when battery goes bad
I use a CMS 60C and the lithium rechargable battery is field replaceable on that model. The battery for the CMS 60C is a mobile phone style flat pack.

Cheers,

Bill

ca_hosehead

Post by ca_hosehead » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:49 pm

Is the rechargeable battery replaceable? does it have to be sent in or can the user replace it. Can be expensive if you have to buy a new meter when battery goes bad
I would say yes. The back of the unit is attached with screws, which means you can get into it when you need to.

echo

Post by echo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks for the review ca-hosehead (and also to willie for the previous one).

I really want to buy one, me being cheap i would go for the cheapest (the CMS 50E)

On the other hand I was to use it for my family as well, and some of them are really restless sleepers, so I guess I'd need to go with the 50 E or F... I think they'd pull the 60C cable right out of the device.
Too many choices!!

Oh and one other question - the website doesn't mention it, but do you need a prescription to purchase them from Southeastern Medical Supply ?
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

dsm

Post by dsm » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:08 pm

Interestingly, Yesterday I bought one of the CMS-50E units based on what I read about it here & compared to other units.

http://www.semedicalsupply.com/cms-50e.htm

My ex hospital Ohmeda 3740 died so needed another unit & the choice was a Nonin Xpod to attach to the Reslinks I have or a stand alone & based on the excessive price of the Reslink plug in SpO2 I settled for the CMS-50E.

Thaks for the links & views of data.

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

echo

Post by echo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:09 pm

And while we're on the topic of pulse-ox's... Here's a really nice review from DreamDriver on the 60D REVIEW: Contec CMS-60D Handheld Oximeter
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep

jnk

Post by jnk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:14 pm

echo wrote:. . . do you need a prescription to purchase them from Southeastern Medical Supply? . . .
Nope.

(Shhhh. Don't tell anyone.)
Last edited by jnk on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

echo

Post by echo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:17 pm

jnk wrote:
echo wrote:. . . do you need a prescription to purchase them from Southeastern Medical Supply? . . .
Nope.
woo hoo now I just have to decide which one to get
PR System One APAP, 10cm

jnk

Post by jnk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:19 pm

There is something to be said for regular batteries, but that's just my preference.

ca_hosehead

Post by ca_hosehead » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:17 am

I forgot my favorite part. It's the official motto from the manufacturer's web site at:

http://www.contecmed.com/cart/product1. ... agodpHZ_OA

"People Oriented and Technology Enterprises"

Don't you just love Engrish?

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:07 pm

I am a large sized person. is the wrist strap long enough to go around an almost 9" wrist?

Thanks

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

ca_hosehead

Post by ca_hosehead » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:19 pm

I would say "no". I found the band a little small for me.

It's easy to fit a different band. I picked up one like this:

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-divin ... watchband/

You thread the band under the watch and it works fine.