Poll: Can CPAP be a torture for some?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Poll: Can CPAP be a torture for some?

The pressure bothers me too much
9%
I do not like the feeling of mask on my face
13%
I have nose congestion/ stuffiness which makes it difficult for me to use the machine
11%
It is inconvenient to put on
10%
It hampers my social life
7%
I feel like I am suffocating
7%
It makes my mouth/ nose/ eyes dry
14%
I move around during sleep and don't like being confined
9%
Leaks a lot
10%
Other (noisy machine/ feel bloated etc-please describe)
11%

Total votes: 195

bwexler

Re: Poll: Can CPAP be a torture for some?

Post by bwexler » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Most things worth having are worth fighting for. (Does anyone call childbirth "torture"? )

I vaguely recall my birth as being a bit tortureos, but it sure beat the alternative. My older brother never made it through that torture.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:40 am

I think this might be a good checklist for newbies having problems because it would help us zero in on how to help them. Too often newbie complaints are too vague "I just can't get used to this". If we had a checklist, it would help us narrow down the problem areas. Even better, something that allowed a newbie to rank the problems so that we could tackle the biggest issues first.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:52 am

Most things we incounter in life can be torture to people that don't have a clue what torture is. Torture is a painful disease like Cancer and many others that require extreme measures to treat.

Sleep Apnea is a bother, not a torture, if it's a torture to you, may you never run into a real problem. We need to ask the orgional poster how's it going with his 5 year old torture now. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:01 pm

Attitude is instrumental in achieving success; but information is perhaps even more essential.
It's too bad the "system" is dedicated to preventing it from falling into the hands of patients.

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:45 pm

Janknitz wrote:I think this might be a good checklist for newbies having problems because it would help us zero in on how to help them. Too often newbie complaints are too vague "I just can't get used to this". If we had a checklist, it would help us narrow down the problem areas. Even better, something that allowed a newbie to rank the problems so that we could tackle the biggest issues first.
A lot of the times newbie complaints are vague because they really haven't figured out how to describe the problem because they haven't really figured out what the problem is.

A long time ago, I wrote two things for one of Pugsy's Pointers, but they've gotten buried and I doubt a newbie has read either one anytime recently. Maybe it's time to did them out and get them more visible somehow.

The posts are: [viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... ml#p868462]Helping us help you----accurately describing your problems[/url] and I can't breathe with the mask on

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:47 pm

bwexler wrote:Most things worth having are worth fighting for. (Does anyone call childbirth "torture"? )
A good number of women who have had long, hard labors might just call it torturous. I certainly thought giving birth to my daugher was torturous. And yet I was willing to go through the process again for a second kid.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:28 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Attitude is instrumental in achieving success; but information is perhaps even more essential.
It's too bad the "system" is dedicated to preventing it from falling into the hands of patients.
I can't comment on the tortures of childbirth (my son was delivered by emergency C-section - I lost weight running up and down stairs for 2 weeks after that event, but I can't claim that was anywhere near "torture"! I love the quoted comment above, though! I am sure it applies to many areas of our health.

old dude

Post by old dude » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Every one of those choices are true to me-every single one. But I suck it up and do the best I can to overcome these and other obstacles because I feel like it's better than a premature death. If you or anyone feels differently please feel free to exercise your choice.

While I accept that there are a few people who have some sort of genuine medical or physical issue that really does make XPAP therapy difficult, I don't think any of the listed choices qualify as anything but whining. Sure, they can be a PITA but suck it up and try to get some help here. There's so much good and effective help here it sometimes boggles the mind. So reach out for help, but please don't tell me you can't do it because it's too hard. Yes it's hard, but one needs to keep trying.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:30 am

old dude wrote:Every one of those choices are true to me-every single one. But I suck it up and do the best I can to overcome these and other obstacles because I feel like it's better than a premature death. If you or anyone feels differently please feel free to exercise your choice.

While I accept that there are a few people who have some sort of genuine medical or physical issue that really does make XPAP therapy difficult, I don't think any of the listed choices qualify as anything but whining. Sure, they can be a PITA but suck it up and try to get some help here. There's so much good and effective help here it sometimes boggles the mind. So reach out for help, but please don't tell me you can't do it because it's too hard. Yes it's hard, but one needs to keep trying.
Old Dude,

As one who has been through h-ll in trying to get pap therapy to work, I beg to differ big time. The feeling of the full face mask on my face felt like torture (yes I am using that word without guilt) but I stupidly thought that was my only choice until I wised up and switched to the elan cloth mask. Unfortunately, the wasted months messed up my sleep cycle which has made things even more difficult.

I also have other issues so I can't totally blame that. But struggling with masks big time did not hlep matters at all. So yes, the listed choices in my opinion are legitimate and not whining in my opinion.

I just wish there was more compassion on this board for people who are greatly struggling instead of espousing the guilty until proven innocent mantra. So many people seem to subscribe to theory that if they can do something, everyone should be able to do it. Sorry folks, it doesn't work that way as everyone is different. Even if their reasons may seem frivolous and stupid to you, without knowing the whole story of their situation other than what they post on this board, you really have no right to pass judgment in my opinion.

49er

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:46 am

I fully agree with the need for a compassionate approach in most cases. My own experience was that finding a mask that seemed to work was not difficult (lucky me!). However, reversing the changes caused by apnea is a long-term process. During that time, I found that making decisions on some levels was OK, but on others I failed miserably. Now I look back and wonder how on earth I made those decisions. And I am now dealing with the consequences of those poor decisions. So, yes, please spare a thought for those who are less fortunate than ourselves, and understand that successful achievement of results can take time and needs patience.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:42 pm

If compassion was a cure for sleep apnea, we would be cured, but it's not. Treatment requires effort and some work, all things worthwhile do.

Get over the whine, and read and get with the program, make your life better, reclaim it. Time spent whining is wasted, unless it comes with cheese. I don't support or condone whining as a constructive activity. Jim
Last edited by Goofproof on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

old dude

Post by old dude » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:07 pm

49er wrote:
old dude wrote:Every one of those choices are true to me-every single one. But I suck it up and do the best I can to overcome these and other obstacles because I feel like it's better than a premature death. If you or anyone feels differently please feel free to exercise your choice.

Old Dude,

As one who has been through h-ll in trying to get pap therapy to work, I beg to differ big time. The feeling of the full face mask on my face felt like torture (yes I am using that word without guilt) but I stupidly thought that was my only choice until I wised up and switched to the elan cloth mask. Unfortunately, the wasted months messed up my sleep cycle which has made things even more difficult.

I also have other issues so I can't totally blame that. But struggling with masks big time did not hlep matters at all. So yes, the listed choices in my opinion are legitimate and not whining in my opinion.

I just wish there was more compassion on this board for people who are greatly struggling instead of espousing the guilty until proven innocent mantra. So many people seem to subscribe to theory that if they can do something, everyone should be able to do it. Sorry folks, it doesn't work that way as everyone is different. Even if their reasons may seem frivolous and stupid to you, without knowing the whole story of their situation other than what they post on this board, you really have no right to pass judgment in my opinion.

49er
49er, I suspect the difference in how we see this issue lies in the semantics of the words "torture" and "whining". And of course, it is all colored by our own individual perspectives. I doubt very seriously that the h-ll you went through getting acclimated to a mask was any worse than what I went through, and while I'll spare you the details I still literally have the scars to prove it. It was brutal but in my opinion, it was just life. One has a choice as to how they view it. Since I started therapy on April 17, 2013 I have not missed 100% compliance for at least 4 hours one single time. And I don't plan to, no matter how much it hurts or how hard it gets. To do otherwise just isn't in my DNA. And I'm absolutely not special; if I can do it almost anybody can that just makes their mind up to do so.

And I'll take it a step further: just because I have settled on a FFM that has been working well for me for several months, I by no means think I have my problems licked forever. These masks are very tricky and just one very minor unpublished spec change can be a total game changer. Anything could happen but if push comes to shove I personally plan to spend my time begging for advice and words of wisdom here, not whining about how I "just can't take it".

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:12 am

Old Dude and Goofproof,

It is pointless to continue the conversations because of your condescending attitudes but I can assure you that my lack of success with pap therapy has not been due to lack of effort or trying. And if you think otherwise, then I am not going to repeat what my thoughts are in an attempt to keep this post civil.

The reason I continue to persist after 2.5 years of struggle because not using the machine is not an option. It is the reason I encouraged a relative who stopped using his machine to start up again.

49er

old dude

Post by old dude » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:27 pm

49er wrote:Old Dude and Goofproof,

It is pointless to continue the conversations because of your condescending attitudes but I can assure you that my lack of success with pap therapy has not been due to lack of effort or trying. And if you think otherwise, then I am not going to repeat what my thoughts are in an attempt to keep this post civil.

The reason I continue to persist after 2.5 years of struggle because not using the machine is not an option. It is the reason I encouraged a relative who stopped using his machine to start up again.

49er
So 49er, let me see if I have this right, OK? Anyone with whom you disagree on an internet forum is by definition "condescending"?

And further, you have trouble remaining civil when someone simply disagrees with you on said internet forum?

We are indeed more different than I thought...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:27 pm

old dude wrote:
49er wrote:Old Dude and Goofproof,

49er
So 49er, let me see if I have this right, OK? Anyone with whom you disagree on an internet forum is by definition "condescending"?

And further, you have trouble remaining civil when someone simply disagrees with you on said internet forum?

We are indeed more different than I thought...
It seems the one thing we can agree on, making xpap work is a needed option. Jim