Poll: Can CPAP be a torture for some?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Poll: Can CPAP be a torture for some?

The pressure bothers me too much
9%
I do not like the feeling of mask on my face
13%
I have nose congestion/ stuffiness which makes it difficult for me to use the machine
11%
It is inconvenient to put on
10%
It hampers my social life
7%
I feel like I am suffocating
7%
It makes my mouth/ nose/ eyes dry
14%
I move around during sleep and don't like being confined
9%
Leaks a lot
10%
Other (noisy machine/ feel bloated etc-please describe)
11%

Total votes: 195

Goofproof

Re: Poll: Can CPAP be a torture for some?

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:56 pm

I used to have a fellow worker, that when he want to take company property, would ask the stupidvisor, if it was OK to take it. If the stupidvisor said NO, he would take it anyway, if anything was said about it, he would just say he misunderstood.

Frogs have it good, they can swim the Rio Grand into the U.S., but they do have weight loss after they cross. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:51 pm

I swear, I've never been anywhere near the Texas border!

library lady

Post by library lady » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:44 am

My turn now, bump it to the top! When I initially did the poll, I was having difficulty with dry mouth, so that was my answer. I didn't post at the time, that I recall, but I can say that now, after 5 months, I no longer have dry mouth... don't know why, but either of three things: because I found that water mug with a straw I write about so often, or I've gotten so used to it I don't notice it, or that I've learned to keep my mouth shut. I conclude that it may be a combination of all three.

I can say now, I don't really feel more rested, perhaps because of fibromyalgia that was diagnosed 24 years ago. I do have more energy, and I am comfortable with the mask now, thank to this forum where I learned about liners, without which I might not have lasted this long using the machine. I don't wake as often in the night, usually only once for a bathroom break. I get to sleep much quicker now; since I was child, it has always taken me hours to get to sleep. My sleep doc determined that I have suffered from DSP, and I don't think that has changed much. I've trained myself to go to bed around midnight, and can get up more easily when I have to get up early, but I still prefer to sleep until 9:30 or 10. I still find myself occasionally taking my mask off in the middle of the night, but I usually wake up about an hour later and put it back on. Last night I woke up with my mask on but no air... turns out the hose was disconnected, in my bed. Probably didn't reconnect after my bathroom break.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:56 am

I'm glad you are experiencing some improvement, LL.
Many feel cpap is an ordeal at first, but with time, the improvements come.
Sorry about your fibro; although some report improvement with cpap, many find it just makes it harder to use the cpap.
{{{Thank goodness for mask liners!}}}
And props to a woman too tough to let herself be defeated.