Poll: Can CPAP be a torture for some?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

The pressure bothers me too much
9%
I do not like the feeling of mask on my face
13%
I have nose congestion/ stuffiness which makes it difficult for me to use the machine
11%
It is inconvenient to put on
10%
It hampers my social life
7%
I feel like I am suffocating
7%
It makes my mouth/ nose/ eyes dry
14%
I move around during sleep and don't like being confined
9%
Leaks a lot
10%
Other (noisy machine/ feel bloated etc-please describe)
11%

Total votes: 195

NooneInParticular

Post by NooneInParticular » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:45 am

We have already heard from people who think CPAP is a blessing. Now a lot of people don't use it meticulously (a study from CA suggested only 17% patients in the study were using XPAP as prescribed). Do you dislike your CPAP machine? If so, why? You can vote for all that apply.

If you have any misgivings about the purpose of this thread, read the following first. The thread is supposed to highlight the fact that people can have lot of problems with the therapy, but these may not be the reason to quit using it. Feel free to help others by letting them know what helped you. I respect all opinions and all the opinions are most welcome. However, here is my take:
Goofproof wrote:Anything, can be torture to a person that is in De-Nile. Real people deal with what life brings them. Count your Blessings, not your problems, Life is much easier that way. A positive attitude, is what it takes to succeed and be happy in this world. The "Poor Me" syndrome just adds to your problems. All you have to do is open your eyes, all around you are people with bigger problems than yours, and they are coping with them and moving forward with their lives. Jim
For me, knowing what is going on and what can be done about that works better than just a positive attitude alone.
grandmma wrote:I don't know that this thread isn't just a little negative? Positivity.
I won't think that walking can hurt my legs, I will not think that walking 10 miles to work is consuming a lot of my precious time, I will not invent wheel.
birdshell wrote:Is it just me, or...is this possibly the wrong group Image to be asking about non-compliance issues?
Of course, there are some problems to be encountered with using a CPAP but we aren't complaining TOO much, are we? I'd rather live with the minor inconveniences than the much more serious results of apnea.
Karen,
Who has found humidity to be a BONUS!

I think this is the exact forum to be talking about such issues, for people to realize that they are not alone who have these problems. Once you know what are the commonest issues facing CPAP user, you can suggest the solutions to the same. It would be good to have one thread with common problems and the solutions (is there already one, I did not find it- maybe have that as a sticky?). And of course new inventions in the field will be spurred by realization of the shortcomings of the currently available resources.

"FOR EVERY AILMENT UNDER THE SUN, THERE IS A REMEDY, OR THERE IS NONE... IF THERE BE ONE TRY TO FIND IT; IF THERE BE NONE, NEVER MIND IT!"
Last edited by NooneInParticular on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goofproof

Re: Can CPAP be a torture for some?

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:08 am

Anything, can be torture to a person that is in De-Nile. Real people deal with what life brings them. Count your Blessings, not your problems, Life is much easier that way. A positive attitude, is what it takes to succeed and be happy in this world. The "Poor Me" syndrome just adds to your problems. All you have to do is open your eyes, all around you are people with bigger problems than yours, and they are coping with them and moving forward with their lives. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Slinky

Re: Poll: Can CPAP be a torture for some?

Post by Slinky » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:20 am

Amen, GoofProof!!!!

I will say that the first 30 nights on CPAP were THE WORST sleep of my life. But I hung in there. I've never hated my CPAP - BUT I sure have hated more than one mask that I've tried. And I sure hated NOT having a heated humidifier!! Adequate humiditiy so that the air pressure is not chapping and drying out your nasal passages is important for many. BUT IT IS THE MASK that is key to CPAP success. Your pressure can be off a cm or two, maybe even slightly more, and you can do well BUT a poorly fitting mask can be a pain!!! And a poorly fitting mask or mouth leaks, even the "lip flutters" can interfere w/adequate CPAP therapy. Air pressure leaking is therapy not being received. And a CPAP sitting in the closet is therapy not being received.

Granted, way too many sleep professionals including the local DME supplier's RTs are little to no help, even totally useless but the folks on this forum can get you thru the tough spots IF you are determined to make CPAP therapy work for you. CPAP therapy sure beats the alternative!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

SeaPappy

Post by SeaPappy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:28 am

I hate everything about XPap except for the fact that I get real sleep, therefore I will remain to be 100% compliant and "Live with it, as opposed to dying without it" as I have for the last seven years.

Hate it--YES
Love it--Yes
Deal with it Forever--Hell Yes
When I woke up this morning my girlfriend asked me, 'Did you sleep good?' I said 'No, I made a few mistakes.'
Steven Wright

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:19 pm

I couldn't vote........because, I am so much more annoyed w/dying,
than any of those reasons to be tortured by cpap, as valid as they may be.

Human judges can show mercy. But against the laws of nature, there is no appeal.
-- Author C. Clark
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:38 pm

It can be a pain in the butt at times, but for me it really isn't much worse than wearing eyeglasses.

I keep it simple; straight CPAP, no humidifier, a simple nasal mask, and I power my CPAP with a Li-ion battery. I check my numbers with an autoPAP every six to twelve months. I make sure that I have spare masks, hoses, and filters. I don't worry about data, water, or the power going out.

grandmma

Post by grandmma » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:21 pm

I don't know that this thread isn't just a little negative? I made it a point from the start to look into and take ownership of my therapy, thanks in large part achieved through this forum.

I decided very early on that avoiding heart attacks and strokes, plus waking up & continuing to breathe was far preferable to the alternative. I therefore decided to be 100% compliant from the very start. I'm one who finds it hard to fall asleep, finds it hard to stay asleep, so the therapy in the early days was not exactly a dream run, again like most largely due to the mask & issues. Taking the mask off, or only wearing for several hours, to me seemed quite defeatist, but that's just me. To each his own I guess.

So none of the above apply - I refused to believe anything other than I would love the therapy!

Worked for me, I'm quite relaxed once I strap on, and some nights I even look forward to it if I'm really tired & ready for sleep, despite ongoing mask issues.

Positivity.
"You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!"

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:26 pm

Is it just me, or...is this possibly the wrong group Image to be asking about non-compliance issues? We have pretty much solved problems if we visit this forum, or at least have hope they will mitigated with a bit more work.

Of course, there are some problems to be encountered with using a CPAP but we aren't complaining TOO much, are we? I'd rather live with the minor inconveniences than the much more serious results of apnea.

Karen,
Who has found humidity to be a BONUS!
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

jnk

Post by jnk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:18 pm

Can CPAP be a torture for some?
I think you have to pay the DME extra for that.

Mikosiko

Post by Mikosiko » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:26 pm

grandmma wrote:.... I made it a point from the start to look into and take ownership of my therapy, thanks in large part achieved through this forum.
So none of the above apply - I refused to believe anything other than I would love the therapy!
Positivity.
Amen!! same for me
Miko

Lord Darth Beavis
Location: Texas, where men are men, women are women and critters from Alpha Centauri are dinner!

Post by Lord Darth Beavis » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Well, the only things I dislike about my therapy are waking up with a dry mouth on occasion, and all the blasted leaks around my mask.

If I EVER find a FF mask that doesn't leak, it'll be a freaking MIRACLE!

Cripes, one day, the wife thought I had a serious case of gas, there were so many leaks!

boston

Post by boston » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:57 am

Mikosiko wrote:
grandmma wrote:.... I made it a point from the start to look into and take ownership of my therapy, thanks in large part achieved through this forum.
Positivity.
Amen!! same for me
Miko
i think the fact that were here on this forum says were trying/determined to make it work. how many people may have given up if not for this forum? i dont think i would have given up, but i know id still be struggling. just now after 1 month, i have most of my issues worked out, a few more to go, but definitely going in the right direction.

JayC

Post by JayC » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:39 am

I selected the option about nose congestion....

The torture is NOT BEING ABLE TO USE MY MACHINE when nose is fully blocked or actively running.

Tonight is a blocked night with a "barking cough". So it is also a maskless night.

J

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:02 am

xPAP is torture?

Torture can lead to death, but... not using xPAP could also lead to health issues and an early death. xPAP is the solution... and there are certainly solutions for all the issues listed.

Using the machine has become just another habit for me... and I actually like using it... and have liked using it right from the first time I had the mask on. Sure, I have had some issues but there is always a way to work them out.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 30, 2014 9:32 am

Since this ancient poll has been pulled to the front page by a vote, I would like to insert my opinion.
Most things worth having are worth fighting for. (Does anyone call childbirth "torture"? )
For some, the struggle is significant, but equipment, especially masks, are improving.
I would be a total weenie to whine about the inconvenience, discomfort and expense,
because I can see many with much steeper paths;---soldier on. You are my heroes.