check cpap in luggage?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Vonon

check cpap in luggage?

Post by Vonon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:56 pm

I'm flying tomorrow and am very tempted to check my cpap in my luggage. I have knee replacement and always get a body search making it difficult to keep track of what they're doing with my cpap machine, shoes, purse, etc. Other than the suitcase not getting there is there a pressing reason not to pack my machine?

lktnky

Re: check cpap in luggage?

Post by lktnky » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:00 pm

Remember the commercial about the gorilla & the luggage?
The machines aren't built to withstand that type of handling IMHO.
And who's to say it might not 'disappear'? I always carry mine on board - you could pack it in a piece of carry on luggage, but I'd still be concerned they'd want to place it in the hold if the flight's full.

Arthurs

Post by Arthurs » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:28 pm

With the amount of stuff lost or stolen in checked baggage, I wouldn't even think of checking a CPAP machine! Read the fine print on your ticket, airlines will not cover the loss if it happens, most explicitly state that electronics, valuables, and prescription medicines (including medically necessary devices) should be brought on board with you in your carryon luggage. Besides, what if you miss your connection, or you get stuck somewhere enroute, or your baggage gets delayed?

Don't let security rush you through despite the extra attention required for your screening, take your time, and firmly insist that they wait for you to be present for any inspection of your belongings, it's their rules, make sure they follow them. Also ask them to change their gloves and the sampling cloth when handling/testing your medical equipment! You don't want the previous 100+ passenger's germs on your CPAP!

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:00 pm

I went on a trip last spring and my luggage went awol for 2 days - glad I took my CPAP as a carryon.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:23 pm

No matter what happens, you want your CPAP with you - do not put it in checked luggage.

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:37 pm

I don't know if your homeowner's insurance would cover it, if your machine disappeared. But I do know the airlines really limit their liability for lost baggage in the fine print on your ticket...so unless you can afford to replace it out of your own pocket, I'd definitely carry mine on board with me.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:50 pm

The chance of lost or delayed luggage would be about the only reason I'd want to always carry it with me. Except for that, I wouldn't hesitate to pack it in a checked suitcase. I'd just take extra care to put plenty of clothing all around the cpap bag in the suitcase, to pad it well.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Vonon

Post by Vonon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks all. I think I'll carry it with me. I'll try insisting that they leave my stuff alone 'till they're through frisking me. Especially the gloves and swab part. Kind of hard to influence their activities while being held in isolation. Makes me want to scream.

echo

Post by echo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Vonon - look to getting a small carry-on with wheels. That makes it easier to tote around, and you can usually add some other carry-on stuff in there too (I never had problems putting in magazines, neck pillows, etc in with the CPAP).
I guess that might be difficult to get for tomorrow (but you could get it on the way back ).
Good luck.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:19 pm

My wife's replacement hip causes her to get the "full Osama" treatment also! Ah,the joy of travel.

Arthurs

Post by Arthurs » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:14 pm

To add to what was previously said, here are a few tips regarding CPAP devices and airport security as a seasoned international traveller:

1. In addition to the two carryon bags permited, by most carriers, you are allowed to carry on a 3rd bag with your CPAP equipment inside, I would print out the following linked document and highlight the following paragraphs, and keep it handy in your CPAP bag:
"The limit of one carry-on bag and one personal bag (e.g., purse or briefcase) for each traveler does not apply to medical supplies and/or assistive devices (including service animals and their equipment). Passengers with disabilities generally may carry medical equipment, medications, and assistive devices on board the aircraft."
"Passenger flow through the screener checkpoints should be controlled to allow a passenger to maintain visual contact with his/her personal property while he/she is being screened."
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/20011029.htm

To prevent you from bringing CPAP on board is a violation of federal aviation regulations and Air Carrier Access act. See 14 CFR Section 382.41:

(b) Carriers shall permit qualified individuals with a disability using personal
ventilators/respirators to bring their equipment, including non-spillable
batteries that meet the requirements of 49 CFR 173.159(d) and any applicable
FAA safety regulations, on board the aircraft and use it.

(d) Carriers shall not, in implementing their carry-on baggage policies,
count toward a limit on carry-on items any assistive device brought into
the cabin by a qualified individual with a disability."

If you're opting to bring a 3rd bag with your CPAP, don't put anything else in your CPAP case other than the CPAP and related equipment. Some airlines and security personnel are getting strict with this 3rd bag allowance, and I don't think you want a screener to go rummaging through your hose and mask with their dirty gloves to find other items.
Here's another link to print out and keep with you:
http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/special_needs_memo.pdf

2. When dealing with airport staff, many are clueless as to what a CPAP, APAP, or BiPAP are. The magic words you say are "medical device," you can always clarify if questioned further about your "medical device." Call it a "medical device" in all your dealings with airport staff, and a necessary one at that.

3. Before getting to the screening checkpoint, put all your loose metal items in your carryon bag (keys, coins, etc), that way you're not fumbling when you get to the screening point (and looking like open prey to thieves). When you're going through the screening checkpoint, you will need to take your CPAP machine (not the hose or mask) out like you would a laptop computer and put it in a bin separate from the bag for XRAY. Take another bin for your laptop, and another one for your coat. I take up at least 3 or 4 bins with all my gadgets and laptops, so don't be shy in being a "bin hog." I recommend you wait for the passenger ahead of you to clear the magnetometer before you let any of your stuff into the xray machine, then let your shoes go first, bin(s) next, and bag last. This helps you keep control of all your stuff before being frisked, and minimizes theft. If a TSA drone tries to hurry you, ignore them. Seriously. Beware the belt for the XRAY machine may be going forwards and backwards, sometimes violently, so leave a bit of space or your bin with an expensive CPAP machine might find themselves on the floor. If you're pulled aside for further screening, do not allow them to make you loose sight of your stuff, and by all means, do not grant them permission to look through your belongings until you're present to supervise their inspection. Be polite but firm about this, and if this doesn't work, ask for a supervisor and say nothing until he or she arrives.

4. In addition to the XRAY screening of your CPAP, they will likely do a swab test on it, politely ask them to use a clean swab cloth just to keep things sanitary. The screeners should NEVER need to examine or handle the hoses and mask. If they try, scream bloody murder and demand a supervisor.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... /cpap.shtm

5. If you're having to take distilled water with you for your humidifier, I suggest you get your doctor to write out a prescription for it, and have a bottle labeled as such from the pharmacy for your carryon. Bring enough supply until you can get to a reliable distilled water source at your destination. Medically necessary liquids are not restricted in quantity as long as it's a reasonable quantity for the trip. Contact wearers do this all the time with their saline solution.
More here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... index.shtm

6. If you're on a long enough flight that you want to sleep, you are permitted to use your CPAP device on the plane, keep in mind the air is very dry in a plane, and you need to supply an appropriate battery (don't count on airplane power even if you're in 1st class):
"To the extent consistent with various FAA safety regulations, passengers may bring on board and use ventilators and respirators, powered by non-spillable batteries. Assistive devices brought into the cabin by an individual with a disability shall not count toward a limit on carry-on items."
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publicat ... bilityAids

7. If the TSA or airline staff make an issue of your medical device, keep your cool, ask for a supervisor, tell them you can die in your sleep without it, and that they are breaking the Air Carrier Access Act in denying you the ability to take it on board with you. At this point you pull out your printout of the regulations highlighted.

8. If your flight plan includes any commuter planes (small jets), I suggest you *don't* pack your CPAP in your roll aboard, as you will need to gate check your roll aboard (it won't fit in the cabin) and it will end up in the cargo hold (not a friendly environment for a fragile machine). These smaller planes will fit smaller sized bags just fine, and most CPAP carrying cases should be small enough to keep on board with you.

Arrive at the airport plenty early for your flight, that way you're not rushed going through all different hoops and hurdles to get to your plane. Be polite, don't worry about how long the line is behind you, check and double check to make sure you got all your stuff with you and nothing has been left behind at the screening checkpoint.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:05 pm

The screeners should NEVER need to examine or handle the hoses and mask. If they try, scream bloody murder and demand a supervisor.
Except that when your mask is a Headrest, and the nasal seal has piece of metal in it that looks lie very nasty hook in the Xray...
Put it in a trasnparent palstic bag.

Thanks for all those great tips, Arthur
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:09 pm

One other thing to keep in mind... most airlines limit their lost luggage liability to $200 total per passenger on domestic flights
. Could you replace your cpap for $200?

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:17 pm

It is really simple...

...keep your prescription medications and xPAP equipment with you at all times.

Luggage gets lost all the time and who knows... it might be your turn on that flight.

nate fry

Post by nate fry » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:03 pm

Do not keep your cpcp in your luggage. It has a medical waiver that allows to to carry it on. Plus this needs to be taken care of like it is your life and it is. Keep it with you and keep there hanfds off of it. I have traveled the world with mine and have had no problem
Vonon wrote:I'm flying tomorrow and am very tempted to check my cpap in my luggage. I have knee replacement and always get a body search making it difficult to keep track of what they're doing with my cpap machine, shoes, purse, etc. Other than the suitcase not getting there is there a pressing reason not to pack my machine?