Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cflame1

Re: Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

Post by cflame1 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:35 pm

What's the name of your machine? What's the name of your mask too?

Both are questions that will help to get your answers.

Plus a lot of us would have problems with a ramp starting at 4. It may not even be enough to clear the carbon dioxide out of your mask.

Sleepyheadgirl

Post by Sleepyheadgirl » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:17 am

Hello again. My machine is a respironics REMstar plus. My mask is a ResMed face Mask. I started out at 7 last night, and though I still found myself "not breathing" a few times at first, I think I slept for about 6 1/2 hours straight, which is like a miracle to me. Didn't even get up to go to the washroom (that I remember!) Amazing!

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:49 pm

If you can (and try hard) to replace your machine with at least a Pro (if M series) or a Pro2 (if classic, non M series). Talk to your DME (the place that you got your equipment from) and tell them that you'd like to upgrade your machine.

That'll give you a hope in figuring out what's going on by giving you more data. A Plus will only show you how many hours you used your machine.

Sleepyheadgirl

Post by Sleepyheadgirl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:53 pm

Hello again. I called the DME today to ask about switching my mask. I also asked about a machine that collected more data. The tech said that the machines only record compliance, nothing else (she spoke as though there were no machines that collected more data). Since my machine is only on loan, I won't press it, but when I purchase one, I will be sure to explore all the options. (I live in Ontario. Maybe we are behind the times up here?????)

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Hello and thank you for all the information. I am new to CPAP and really have no problem falling asleep when I first go to bed. The problems occur when I wake up - to use the bathroom, or just wake up - I cannot tolerate the mask and end up not using it for the rest of the night. There are times I feel as if I am about to suffocate and I just remove the mask. Needless to say, this behavior is not helping my condition. I really want to be compliant because I am looking forward to feeling better. Any longtime users have any help? I also have questions regarding certain medications like Provigil and Nuvigil. Are these medications helpful for the days after I sleep without using the mask? Thanks again for all the valuable information. When looking for information, this was the first site I found and I'm glad I did!

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:46 pm

Sleepyheadgirl - I also live in Ontario. Your Provider is either ignorant or is lying to you! You can buy an M Series Pro in Ontario. For an auto, it's a lot harder. The Sleep Specialsit would have to prescribe it and the criteria is difficult to meet.

Be sure to get your prescription in your hands. If it says CPAP, you can buy an auto online at a later date and it may well cost less than your poriton of the Plus cost (unless you have good insurance). MIne did!

Right now, when you go to buy your machine, ask for a Pro and go to another Provider if the current one says there isn't such a thing.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

IACEYOU

Post by IACEYOU » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Geez Louise this is one of the most active forums I've ever seen, for any kind of topic. Who is the the owner of the site?

jules

Post by jules » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:34 pm

The site is owned by Johnny Goodman at cpap.com as far as I know.

Yep - lots of information here.

bugler1a

Post by bugler1a » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi just thought I'd post a company for those of you who are interested in home testing. My PC set me up with this and am waiting for equipment to arrive. The companys name is Instant Diagnostic Systems and they're online.

SleepingBeauty3

Post by SleepingBeauty3 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:48 am

HELP!

I keep taking my mask off on a nightly basis! My Doc has been asking me how long I keep it on at night, but being that I am ASLEEP(duh), I have no idea. But, just this week it occurred to me to compare how much water has been used in the Humidifier. HAH! NO Water is being used, that must mean that the mask is being removed soon after falling asleep.

WHAT? if anything can be down to prevent this from happening?!!

SaltLakeJan

Post by SaltLakeJan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:38 am

HI BB,

This sounds crazy, but if you have a pair of the cheap gloves that you sometimes wear to bed to keep lotion on your hands. Try wearing them to bed. Take a mask off with gloves might be quite a challenge.

Good luck, Jan

jccameron

Post by jccameron » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:27 am

Thanks for the putting this introduction together. I went to click on your first link and it appears that it has been moved.

The one I found on their site is at:

http://www.resmed.com/au/multimedia/und ... 40x380.swf

shiftworkzombie

Post by shiftworkzombie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:35 am

Wow, feel quite fortunate to find this site; because I am feeling quite overwhelmed. That is an understatement. I know I am not unique in this: as with any new diagnosis but @#$%^& !!!! OK, got that out of my system.

Thanks for the space and let the learning and healing begin. I am off to attempt my first night of CPAP trial.

#$%^%$ !!!!

I don't want to deal with this ........I know I know I know, get over it, get on with it.
G'night
Inhale, exhale, repeat.

roster

Post by roster » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:03 am

shiftworkzombie wrote: .......... Good to learn I am not alone and that the psycho/social symptoms are more than likely due to OSA than a major personality disorder. Reply back please I really need the support with this. Thanks!
"Healthy awake, deathly ill asleep."

You are right. You don't need a psychiatrist, a psychotherapist or a sociologist. You just need a CPAP system to help you breathe and sleep at the same time.

Lots of good help here. They saved my life.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

randik125

Post by randik125 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:31 pm

Hello fellow sleepyheads! I am, of all things a Family Practice Doc...nearly 50 years old. I have had excessive daytime sleepiness for years and just kept tolerating it and accommodating my limitations. But things got worse and worse. Several years ago I ended a very traumatic marriage and suffered severe depression. Initially, I thought the sleepiness was partially a residual effect of the depression. But my life got better and better and the haze got thicker and thicker. There really is a growing sense that you are dying bit by bit. Then there would be a few good days and so denial set back in.

I reached my limit when I needed to pull over and sleep on the side of the road while traveling alone to see my daughter. For a few minutes I actually debated which was more dangerous...the continue driving or to pull over in a strange place all alone and sleep. It was Summer and the windows would need to be open. I called my daughter to tell her where I would be and told her to call me in 1 hour. She did.

I had my sleep study a few weeks ago and got the result this week. I am scheduling my titration study as soon as I can because I want to feel better. Your stories are so helpful. Thank you for having this forum.
RandiK