Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepy cpa

Re: Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

Post by sleepy cpa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:01 pm

What happened to "Our Wisdom" section with the lightbulb? I have not been able to find it.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:31 pm

It's at the top of the page.

Brenda

hyperjma

Post by hyperjma » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi Everyone!
Definitely a newbie here! Here's a brief description of my history -
Without knowing it, for oh *about* the past 8 years, I have been struggling with sleep apnea. I have a variety of health problems, and now that I know about sleep apnea I am sure the apnea isn't helping those problems! On a yearly visit to my immunologist/allergist I mentioned this cough I had had for a few months, and he asked my husband a few questions and basically diagnosed me with sleep apnea right there in the patient room. Then there was a long round of sleep-studies, etc etc. result - they believe I have severe sleep apnea with oxygen drops.
Right now, I have the respirotronics with humidifier. They originally put me on a value of 12, but they are raising it because I have been taking it off in the middle of the night. the gave me an auto-machine for a month, and the auto machien suggested putting it on 20. Isnt that a bit too high? my gosh!
Anywho - I have come across another ANNOYING problem that I cant seem to fix. The mask that I have is a full face mask, and it leaks SO BAD. It doesnt leak - the seal between the mask and my face - but it leaks within the mask! Like the plastic piece that sits on my face is separating from the hard plastic mask part. It leaks around my chin area.
I have stressed out about this so much, even considered stopping the cpap use because it is getting me so frustrated! --- my loving husband last night searched around online, hoping to help me the only way he could and came across your website. Can anyone suggest any help? Also, I am looking to maybe get a DIFFERENT cpap machine. (as you can probably predict, my husband and I are techies and would love to be able to read the data on my card, and etc etc..)
Thanks!
Jessica
- and husband Bryan -

sleepy cpa

Post by sleepy cpa » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:47 pm

Start a discussion topic where people can reply.

Through various hospital stays, (3 times, 2 years, 55 days) the nasal pillows work best for me but I have to wear an elastic band around my head to keep my mouth shut. This is the most comfortable setup for me and I have tried them all! Have your DME allow you to try various masks. I use a Swift LT, more expensive but worth it!

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:08 pm

jules wrote: <snip>
This thread is just a place to start to gather information on what will be a lifetime commitment to improve your health. It isn't a place to voice opinion on certain products or how to organize the forum. Those can be done below in the main part.

Again, for anyone who wishes to start their own thread, look for the Post a New Topic button. Guests can post, but it is best if you register first. Gumby tells me I need to tell people this 3 or 4 times but .......... I hope this is sufficient.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

araminta

Post by araminta » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:01 pm

sleepy cpa wrote:Start a discussion topic where people can reply.

Through various hospital stays, (3 times, 2 years, 55 days) the nasal pillows work best for me but I have to wear an elastic band around my head to keep my mouth shut. This is the most comfortable setup for me and I have tried them all! Have your DME allow you to try various masks. I use a Swift LT, more expensive but worth it!
I'm curious. What kind of a band do you use?

Shaunie2453

Post by Shaunie2453 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi,

At LAST - somewhere that explains all the 'tech' talk arround sleep apnea THANK YOU

I'm so fed up of hearing sleep experts talk in TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms)and about things that frankly make no sense to me so the guide was a great place to find.

I have one question that is overriding all others though - Why does everyone (in the medical world) seem to believe the only viable treatment for sleep apnea is CPAP - Being cynical I cant help myself when I think that the Dr's and the equipment manufacturers are 'in bed' with each other here. It's like - sleep apnea , ypu CPAP for you .... nothing else was ever considered or discussed!

can you throw yet more light on the subject?

by the way - I hate the thought or sleeping with a mask/ nasal prong etc for the rest of my life... how do you get over it?

Thanks in advance

lancegross1

Post by lancegross1 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:45 pm

Well, I am here...and, that is a good thing. I am looking forward to learning more. I can see from just a little reading that there are many things I need to understand better. This should be an adventure. I wish to thank the people who got this site going. So far it has been a lot of guessing on my part. I can see that with the help of this site I can ask informed questions and better understand the answers. I thank you all.

robertmarilyn

Post by robertmarilyn » Thu May 14, 2009 4:09 pm

lancegross1 wrote:Well, I am here...and, that is a good thing. I am looking forward to learning more. I can see from just a little reading that there are many things I need to understand better. This should be an adventure. I wish to thank the people who got this site going. So far it has been a lot of guessing on my part. I can see that with the help of this site I can ask informed questions and better understand the answers. I thank you all.
Welcome lance We'll be glad to help you, esp since we've all gotten great help here ourselves. If you will post your introduction and/or questions in the area below this thread, then you will have a much better chance of folks seeing what you wrote since this thread is more of an information thread for newbies...not everybody thinks to look here for new posts probably.
mar

ozij wrote:
jules wrote: <snip>
This thread is just a place to start to gather information on what will be a lifetime commitment to improve your health. It isn't a place to voice opinion on certain products or how to organize the forum. Those can be done below in the main part.

Again, for anyone who wishes to start their own thread, look for the Post a New Topic button. Guests can post, but it is best if you register first. Gumby tells me I need to tell people this 3 or 4 times but .......... I hope this is sufficient.

Post by Guest » Wed May 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Hi...

I am just getting started. I have had my first sleep study and my CPAP sleep study. A friend of mine suggested this site to me as a good source of information.

buzz

Komodo

Post by Komodo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:41 pm

Another newbie checking in and saying "Hi!".

Got my first cpap machine (ResMed S8 Elite II w/heater) a few hours ago, haven't even tried it out yet. It's going to take me a few days to read thru some posts and TRY to get up to speed so I don't ask too many stupid questions! I know I'll have PLENTY of dumb questions about masks. The one I have (ResMed Mirage Micro) I'm not happy with at all, even though I've only worn it for the fitting. I want to get some knowledge from you guys and then get another mask.

I guess that's all for now, but I'll be around.

bdubsee

Post by bdubsee » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Howdy - I have been lurking for 6 weeks or so and think that it's time that I introduce myself and say 'thank you'. I've been on the CPAP for just under 4 weeks. It has been a struggle but I am committed to getting this dialed in. It has been helpful to read about the struggles and solutions of those how have gone before me.

I have an appointment with my DME (Apria) to get a different mask - something that I didn't know that I could do until I read it here (and then confirmed with my paperwork). I currently have a Mirage Swift LT and cannot keep a seal for more than 4 hours and have trouble with it in certain sleeping positions. I've also had irritation from the headgear/beard interaction. I've considered shaving but then I won't look like Andrea Bocelli. I am going to try a nasal mask - I don't know which one yet - just need one that seals around my rather generous nose.

When I am able to sleep with the CPAP, it is rejuvenating and I wake up rested and without sinus pain. I am a believer in the treatment and I look forward to getting it figured out.

I'd also like to thank the forum posters. I've spent hours reading your experiences, expert advice and occasional sleep deprived rant. It's comforting to know that there are others out there and the tips are helping me take a methodical approach to managing my treatment. Thank you all.

Cheers,
bdubsee a.k.a. Brian

Bapple60

Post by Bapple60 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Hi All,

I'm a brand new CPAP user (4 days) and I have a couple of questions:
first, I have a Resmed cpap and humidifier with a Resmed Quattro full face mask. I am a big time mouth breather due to a deviated septum. I usually wake up a once or twice a night to use the bathroom, and since CPAP, I notice a really dry mouth. My humidifier is set on 3 out of 5. Second, if I remove or lift the mask with the CPAP running, the whoosh of air sometimes awakens my better half. So what do I do about scratching my nose?!?!?

Finally, I do wake up a lot...my sleep patterns seem different...but the stretches of sleep are getting longer as I adjust to this rig.

Anyway, I think I might like this thing...the jury is still out.

Cheers,

Bill

Jasmeen

Post by Jasmeen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:09 am

I am a newbie. thank you for having this. i didn't know of these different terms that are being used. i am a bit lost and confused right now. i am sure i will not only figure this site out but this whole having osa.

Sleepyheadgirl

Post by Sleepyheadgirl » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Hello. I just found this site and I am really glad. Looks like I can learn a lot here. I just started using my CPAP two days ago. Was diagnosed with sleep apnea after an overnight study. The doctor said it was moderate. He started me at 7 on my machine. I noticed that as I am falling asleep I stop breathing more than a few times. Shouldn't my machine prevent this? The machine can be set at 4 and then it gradually goes to 7 within 20 minutes. Should I start it at 7 instead of the lower pressure? I am 54 yr old female. The doc did not specify if I had obstructive or central apnea. How do they know which one you have? Is the treatment the same? I am most certainly a newbie! Would appreciate any advice.