Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ScotDavids

Re: Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

Post by ScotDavids » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:45 pm

Thank you for providing this great resource. I just started CPAP a couple nights ago and am really glad to find some support. It's not an easy transition as I'm sure anyone who uses CPAP can attest. But, I am looking forward to regaining my energy level and focus.

jules

Post by jules » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:50 am

Scot,

Welcome aboard.

I am always glad to hear that this information here is helpful. The forum posts below (and for the next many many pages) can provide so much information and experiences.

This thread is just a place to start to gather information on what will be a lifetime commitment to improve your health. It isn't a place to voice opinion on certain products or how to organize the forum. Those can be done below in the main part.

Again, for anyone who wishes to start their own thread, look for the Post a New Topic button. Guests can post, but it is best if you register first. Gumby tells me I need to tell people this 3 or 4 times but .......... I hope this is sufficient.

SleepyManMD

Post by SleepyManMD » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi All

I was tested last Monday night. They finally got me wired up around 1130pm. I fell asleep rather fast. Well at 3am lights came on and they hookep me up to Cpap..... I slept good and awoke FRESH.... I havent been that fresh in 20 years.... When she came in to hook me up I askes, " Guess this means I have it?" She laughed and said I cat say but I wouldnt be here with this if you didnt. Well I go Friday this week for follow up. I cant wait. Any suggestions on machines, masks, hoses??????? How much is this gonna cost me? Thanks in advance

Ken

LoQ

Can We Change the Subject Here?

Post by LoQ » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:57 pm

jules, I appreciate so much the effort you have put into this thread. But it seems to me that the thread title is misleading. I think newcomers are reading the title and thinking, "Oh, this is where they want me to start posting." I see why they are doing this; it makes perfect sense if you have no history with the board.

How about something more along the lines of "CPAP Tutorial for Beginners" or "CPAP Newbie Guide" or "CPAP 101" whatever, just not with a verb in it, indicating action.

SleepyManMD

Post by SleepyManMD » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:03 pm

LOL

Busted already.... Could have just sent me a PM stating that...

Thanks

jules

Post by jules » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:21 pm

I am unable to edit my post which means the title too until the forum is fixed. Yes it is broken and I have put that on the bug thread and nothing has happened yet. I get this
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
I won't change the title (others have suggested it); The reason I won't change the title is that others have linked to this thread with the thread name. If I change the title then I believe all those links become broken links.

I had planned to insert a new first paragraph as follows:

This is a post where you can start gathering information for this journey. If you want to get answers for a problem you have or want to introduce yourself. please start a new thread/topic. On a later page I have posted a photo of the button to push to start one.

I also have a link to add too:

Problems adjusting? This is a document from Respironics to promote bipap when cpap fails. It includes some flowcharts and worksheets that might help anyone with problems.

http://sleepapnea.respironics.com/clini ... aph[1].pdf

The reason I can't change the title is that others have linked to this thread with the thread name. If I change the title then I believe all those links become broken links.

I am always open to more ideas either here or via pm. However, all I can do is save them in a word document until the forum gets fixed.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:04 pm

SleepyManMD wrote:LOL

Busted already.... Could have just sent me a PM stating that...

Thanks

SleepyMan, my post was not about you. Look back and see how many newbies have posted in this thread. My post was about how the thread title makes people who are new want to do exactly what you did, and I think what you did makes perfect sense. My argument is that the title shouldn't lead people to post on this thread, but it does.

I'm sorry if you felt I was taking a shot at you. I absolutely was not taking a shot at anyone. I was simply trying to help newcomers know where to get started with posting.

The reason I can't change the title is that others have linked to this thread with the thread name. If I change the title then I believe all those links become broken links.
Nope, don't think so. The title has nothing to do with where the link goes to. The link descriptions may become less meaningful, but perhaps a better solution than your paragraph above you intend to insert might be to list the previous title as the first thing in the post.

But do as you wish. For some, form is more important than function, and I can respect that choice, even when I don't agree with it. Thanks for the wonderful work this thread represents.

jules

Post by jules » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:12 am

Right now it doesn't matter - I can't edit the first post except to probably remove most of the links that are there and I have no intention of doing that. I guess we are back to the limited number of links per post and that post as it stands exceeds that.

There are links to thread by number and links to thread by name. I have seen people rename threads and when you click on the link by name, then you get a not found. I don't want to have this thread suffer that same fate. There was a long time this thread wasn't even in announcements.

Just some background, this thread was created out of others' posts, (mainly RG's), given to me by someone else to have a quick answer in chat when we got newbies in there looking for anyplace to start. There was a problem in chat that if you clicked on a link, you got kicked out so we would bump it when we needed to show the links to a newbie on where to start. Now if you click on a link in chat, you get everything underlined.

SleepymanMD - don't worry -

I guess I can post this again -- if you want to ask a question or introduce yourself close out this thread and find this -----

SleepyManMD

Post by SleepyManMD » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:53 am

Thanks

No Harm and No offense taken... Its all good. I will be sleeping soundly soon.... Thanks for this sight it is helpful.

sadali

Post by sadali » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:31 pm

I'm not a troll, but not finding this site to be of much help. I'm glad if it helps others. Anyone know any other sites I could try?

SaltLakeJan

Post by SaltLakeJan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:49 pm

Hi Jules,
I want to thank you for your work on this forum. I have been here just over a month. I was disheartened with the complexities of sleep apnea, until I accidently found Cpap.talk.com. I have appreciated the responses you and all the others have given to me. I couldn't have continued without the guidiance I have received here.

I have poured over FAQ, and the sites at the top of the board, but I cannot understand how to include a quote from another post in one of mine. I see "Quote" under the subject line, but I can't get it to transfer from another person's post to mine. I also made a query it in the search section, but it still eludes me. Can you point me to the place where I can find the answer?

I apologize for having bothered you when you have so many boards to watch. I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks Much
Jan

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:01 am

By now, on this thread viewtopic/p341539/Thought-you-could-helpim-new.html sadali has been helped by the patient members of this forum.

Jan, that's the kind of question you can post on the forum, and anyone will who knows will answer gladly.
jules wrote:<snip>

Just some background, this thread was created out of others' posts, (mainly RG's), given to me by someone else to have a quick answer in chat when we got newbies in there looking for anyplace to start. There was a problem in chat that if you clicked on a link, you got kicked out so we would bump it when we needed to show the links to a newbie on where to start. Now if you click on a link in chat, you get everything underlined.

<snip>
I guess I can post this again -- if you want to ask a question or introduce yourself close out this thread and find this -----

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

SaltLakeJan

Post by SaltLakeJan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Hey Jules,
Thanks for the help - I appreciated it.

Jan

pudnnpy

Post by pudnnpy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:42 am

I am very new at this. All this information is very much appreciated, even if a bit overwhelming at this time. I may be asking dumb questions, but here goes anyway.

I would love to know how you arrive at the sleep data you're listing. Is this information directly from your doctor? My machine has a place for a card that my doctor uses to check my progress, but as far as I know I can't access any data from it. And, unfortunely, my insurance will only cover one more visit to the clinic. How would I be able to access any new data in the future?

My doctor tells me that I have a deviated septum. I've looked this up & see that there is a relatively simple operation for this. Does anyone else have a deviated septum causing sleep apnea? If so & if you had the operation did it help any?

Thanks for bearing with me.

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:42 am

jules wrote:<snip>

<snip>

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023