Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LoQ

Re: Where a newbie should start

Post by LoQ » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:43 pm

It would seem that bump and are being used in place of a thumbtack. Perhaps one of the moderators would be willing to fix it permanently at the top? (and deleting all of the bumping entries would be a blessing, as well)

jules

Post by jules » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:46 pm

I have tried to put new information on the first post on page 1 so everything is there - that way others don't have to find all the bump posts.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Jules, the link you have in the first post for the resmed video is broken.
This one works.
http://www.resmed.com/en-us/clinicians/ ... 40x380.swf

Thanks for doing such a good job!
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

jules

Post by jules » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:03 pm

k - will edit to include both - the one I had posted worked when I posted it

jules

Post by jules » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:09 pm

I get the video right at the start to open and it seems to be the same one you posted ----

I get the file later on not to work - this one - so I need t figure this out - back to the source - http://www.resmed.com/en-us/patients/ab

These were not my links - someone gave them to me --

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:19 pm

Understanding OSA - worth your time
http://www.resmed.com/en-us/patients/ab ... 40x380.swf
I saw the last letters, and though you were refering to the video in the quoted line here.

This is about understanding the mouthleak cycle
http://www.resmed.com/en-au/clinicians/ ... clinicians

And this helps in undertanding Resmed's way of looking at obtructions.

http://www.resmed.com/en-au/clinicians/ ... clinicians

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

jules

Post by jules » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:22 pm

I have asked the person i got the links from for another copy - I don't think I saved them but will check my hard drive too.

jules

Post by jules » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:49 pm

think I got those in the first post now - thanks

Songbird

Post by Songbird » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:47 pm

Jules, this info is great for noobs AND non-noobs! I'm always forgetting what lots of the acronyms mean, and a small reason for this reply is so I now can find your thread quickly in my posts. (Yeah, I know there are other ways; this works best for me. )

Anyway......

Once we've been around for a while, we know to look at "Our Wisdom." And brand-new noobs who are visually oriented very possibly will notice the info-packed "New Users" icon at the top and investigate. But considering how many times we've seen posts from confused noobs, apparently it isn't obvious enough. For those reasons, I think it would be wonderful for Johnny to permanently include this thread in the "Announcements" section, where it would be noticed much quicker than anything else, IMO. (I've sent notes to Johnny and Forumadmin, suggesting that they move it, btw.)

I know you said at the beginning that you'd be including subsequent info as it's posted, but I think it would be good to also put something like the following at the end of your original post for those who no longer possess short-term memories (like me ): "No need to read any further -- this post has been edited to include all additional info mentioned in the rest of this thread."

In addition to doing that, I also think it would be a good idea to include it in Our Wisdom. There's nothing wrong with having it in two places, IMO.

If you'll indulge me, I do have one Miss Picky Proofreader/Editor suggestion, and that's to slightly reword your second paragraph. Since it's Johnny's perogative, the trash might be removed, but it also might not. This wording allows for either possiblity rather than implying that it will, at some point, happen:
We hope the trash will be appropriately removed; but if you see any, just ignore it, sit back and start learning.
Great work, Jules!!

Marsha
Resp. Pro M Series CPAP @ 12 cm, 0 C-Flex, 0 HH & Opus 360 mask (backup: Hybrid) since 8/11/08; member since 7/23/08
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book. ~ Irish Proverb

jnk

Post by jnk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Maybe it's just me. But I've never understood this line on snoredog's awesome list:
"(#)Number of Awakenings: The number of pages scored as wake after sleep onset."
Can anyone help me with that?

If it said something like "the number of sleep-stage changes scored as wake after sleep onset," I would understand it better. But what are the "pages"? Pages of the sleep study? Pages of a chart? Or what?

Sorry for my being so dense.

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:52 pm

Found this to help me understand "awakenings":
AROUSALS & AWAKENINGS
Arousals – interruptions of sleep
lasting 3 to 15 seconds – can occur
spontaneously or as a result of sleepdisordered
breathing (SDB) or other
sleep disorders. Each arousal sends you
back to a lighter stage of sleep. If the
arousal last more than 15 seconds, it
becomes an awakening. You are usually
not aware of arousals, but may be aware
of awakenings.
http://www.sleepapnea.org/about/archive ... rw2006.pdf

I still don't understand the "pages" in Snoredog's awesome list of definitions. But I'll live. I assume it must be just another way of saying "events" or "periods." But I think it is difficult terminology to follow, for newbies like me.

stacia123

Re: Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

Post by stacia123 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:32 pm

Jules: You might want to make it clear which yellow light bulb you're talking about. There are often 2, one for Our Wisdom and one for definitions. I've seen more than one newbie confused by this.

Hope you get help on the awakenings, jnk. I don't have a clue about it so I can't help.

jules

Post by jules » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm

thanks - I think I clarified that more saying next to the man with green jacket

I just am the "keeper" and editor of this information - it wasn't mine in the first place and I have been incorporating suggestions as they are posted here or pmed to me

AlohaCarol

Re: RemStar heated humidifier

Post by AlohaCarol » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:29 pm

Help my RemStar heated humidifier turns off after only heating about 20 minutes. Leaves my air very, very cold.
Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix the problem? Thanks.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:06 am

Please post responses to AlohaCarol's question in the following thread:

Responses to AlohaCarol's question
viewtopic/t36813/Question-by-AlohaCarol ... ifier.html

Antoine de Saint-Exupery