Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
alan2938

Re: Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

Post by alan2938 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:15 am

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 5-6 weeks ago, I have been issued a RESMED H5i + hydration system + F10 face mask, a few days ago.
What I want to know is as follows.

1. I am getting a better nights sleep, but only for about 2 hours or less at a time, I get up in between times & have a cup of coffee, slice of toast before going back to bed 1-2 hours later. This continues to a lesser extent during the day time.

3. Will I eventually be able to sleep normally, if so an estimated time period?

4. It has been suggested that as I am overweight, by loosing weight, I should be able to come off the CPAP machine?

Any advice would be appreciated.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:06 pm

Alan, let's take a look at these issues...

1. Interesting sleep schedule. You need to work on this.

2. Oops, 2 seems to be missing...

3. Yes, you will eventually be able to sleep normally. It takes about 200 nights with a standard deviation of + or - 197. This means that if you adapt quickly and have a mask that fits well you can see improvements almost immediately. On the other hand if you have problems it can take longer.

4. It is not impossible to no longer need xPAP therapy after weight loss. It is highly unlikely though. Out of 100000 people with sleep disordered breathing that lose weight and keep it off for an extended period of time, a couple may no longer need to use their xPAP machine. After losing weight have another sleep study done to see if it has helped.

Momoiro

Post by Momoiro » Tue May 26, 2015 7:33 pm

I just started CPAP and My pressure is set at 10. I use ramp but when I get to a certain pressure I wake up immediately, it's annoying to the point I just take it off to sleep better.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:22 am

Momoiro- Stop deceiving yourself.
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:42 am

Momoira - Please ignore TBIII. However, if you really do want help, it would be a good idea to give us some information, like what machine and mask you have, are you using the ramp feature, do you have software to track your progress overnight, etc. etc. With nothing to go on, we can't really help much.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:51 am

Momoiro wrote:I just started CPAP and My pressure is set at 10. I use ramp but when I get to a certain pressure I wake up immediately, it's annoying to the point I just take it off to sleep better.
This is a common newbie problem as an FYI. I completely 2nd Julie's advice regarding getting help in the forum and ignoring TBIII.

49er

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:12 am

Wearing the mask while NOT sleeping can be very useful.
Think reading, watching television, or just lying down meditating--or "thinking".
The time counts toward usage, and before you know it, you are used to the pressure.
Most of us welcome the pressure, as it makes it easier to breathe.
Taking the mask off is a habit you need to break; but forgive yourself for what you did last night,
and start fresh each night--try adding more time masked each time you put it on.
Give yourself a pat on the back for every improvement, and welcome to the forum.
Rude and ignorant people should be ignored, same as at school, or work, and with some of our families.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:19 am

People on this forum who 'gang up' and try to intimidate and kick others around are nothing better than a group of forum 'gangsters'.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:18 pm

That is your STUPID opinion, jerk. But if you want to see less of me here, refrain from the defamatory remarks, but I guess that you are unable to
keep the 'big 'ole in yo face' shut.

Willie

Post by Willie » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:03 am

Literally leaving in a minute to pick up my CPAP equipment. I just found this forum this morning and have been reading up to be better educated. Cannot wait to start feeling and sleeping better.

My sleep study, 70 events per hour, %86 oxygen levels. Once they put the CPAP on me at 1:30am I crashed out and had to woke up at 6am. Best night of sleep I have had in years. Even with all the crap strapped to me. I have Asthma so I am hoping it also helps with that. Little bit of weight gain over the last year even with exercise (which is why I went to the Dr.). Also can't wait for my wife to get a good night sleep. She has had ear plugs during the night for a year or so, my snoring was so bad.

Hope this was the right place to put this. It's like Christmas morning for me.

ChrisLaw

Post by ChrisLaw » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:44 am

Newbie here. Recently diagnosed after torturing my mate for years with bad snoring. Researching the various cpap options before I decide on the model I end up purchasing.

Greyfort

Post by Greyfort » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:51 am

Hi. I'm new to the CPAP world. Not happy about it. But I've been persevering for about a month now.

Willllburrrr

Post by Willllburrrr » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:54 am

Well it looks like I have a new web place to hang out.. New CPAP user here and was happy to find this place, looks like tons of useful info to be found here

urn357

Post by urn357 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:32 am

Just wanted to say thanks for the informative newbie thread. I'm starting my journey and so happy I found this forum

Mr Nifty

Post by Mr Nifty » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:37 pm

Been sleeping better since the 13th. Still getting used to wearing a mask. Actually sleeping better now than in years. Tried a full face mask the first couple days. Now using a resmed swift fx and liking it.
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016
Masks I have tried
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow, Dreamwear -Nasal