Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
library lady

Re: Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

Post by library lady » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:48 pm

I have been trying to find the place to fill out my profile; I am quite computer savvy, and have looked everywhere that I know to look.... help, please.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Lambeau

Post by Lambeau » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:20 pm

library lady wrote:I have been trying to find the place to fill out my profile; I am quite computer savvy, and have looked everywhere that I know to look.... help, please.
Top left corner of the page in the pale blue bar about 1 inch wide, there is the "User Control Panel"

Click on it, and then you will see various tabs, the second one from the left says "Profile".

Click that, and you're there.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:26 am

I've just returned to give this forum one more try. I didn't find it so user friendly but it's probably because I'm such an idiot. There are some bullies like Black Spinner you'll probably want to ignore or block their replies so you don't have to be bothered with sarcastic replies.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

sleepapneasurfer

Post by sleepapneasurfer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Hello. I'm new.
My wife told my doctor that I snored and held my breath at night.
He said that there is very good chance that I have sleep Apnea. He briefly explained it.
I few days later I got a call from a sleep study joint. I arranged to have a sleep study.
I did not enjoy the sleep study.
I went to sleep wired up, was woken to put on a cpap mask. She started me on a nose only mask and a very short time into the attempt to go back to sleep I freaked out. I asked for a different mask she put a nose and mouth mask.
I was able to go back to sleep after a while.

Next think I know a cpap rental joint calls me up to set up delivery.
I have an unreasonable out of pocket cost so I chose to purchase a machine this pays for itself much faster than a monthly rental cost.

The cpap rental joint is going to provide me with a full face mask.

I am actually really looking forward to getting started.
I love the idea of really feeling rested. I have lots of energy while I'm going but when I stop for any length of time being active .
I'll find myself asleep.

Anyway thats my story I should receive machine in a few days and the mask setup a day or so later.

Sleepapneasurfer

basementclev2

Post by basementclev2 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:58 am

great info jules

sherriselph

Post by sherriselph » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:10 am

I am new to CPAP. Just want to ask what is the full meaning of CPAP? just curiosity.

OboeVet

Post by OboeVet » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:06 pm

I think the key ingredient to starting well with CPAP, Bi-PAP or whatever-PAP is to keep on open mind, keep GOID communication with your physician & suppliers, and become your own advocate. If one machine setting is too high & pushing air where it doesn't belong tell someone! If your mask leaks and your straps feel like your head is in a vice try other masks! If you believe your DME vendor is hustling you into a bad deal keep researching. In the long run your persistence on your behalf will improve your health. All the best to you all. Don

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:39 pm

sherriselph wrote:I am new to CPAP. Just want to ask what is the full meaning of CPAP? just curiosity.
CPAP= Continuous Positive Airway Pressure

Parabolous

Post by Parabolous » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi all!

I just recently registered onto the Sleep Apnea Support forum and found myself here so I figured I would join and learn what I can.

So I just had a follow-up for my recent sleep study and found out (not surprisingly) that I have Sleep Apnea. At last, after 23 years young it's finally been diagnosed.

Though the initial Study proved it hard to fall asleep, I managed to log in 5 hours of sleep (according to brainwave analysis.) On average, apnea occurred 115 times an hour. Over 550 times for the Study.

A little on the severe side, I would say.

Now that I have a clear diagnosis I have been set up with a second sleep study to test-fit, and use a "machine" throughout the night and record the results. I'm not savvy or very knowledgeable about the machines and that's why I've come here to learn and gather any inside info that I can. During the first sleep study I was fitted for a machine there which read "VPAP" on the front, not sure if that's a specific brand or type of machine, but anyway I was fitted for the machine because I was told, that "legally if we see during the night you have severe apnea we have to place you on the machine." Oh, guess what, I was never put on the machine. Though, I was told this is because I didn't fall asleep early enough to be able to sleep for six hours.

I'm excited for my next sleep study but being that it's a month out is a bit irritating.

I hope to gain lots of knowledge being here and getting some insight from others. Thanks for reading!

Have a great day!

-Parabolous

Bama Rambler

Post by Bama Rambler » Fri May 02, 2014 12:58 pm

You came here at the right time.

Read and learn as much as you can before your titration lab. The trick is to be prepared.
I would go ahead and talk to the sleep doc and let them know that whatever the outcome you want a full efficacy data capable machine. That way, if you need less than a bi-level machine you won't have to worry about it not recording efficacy data.

Post by Guest » Mon May 12, 2014 3:36 pm

I am considering purchasing CPAP equipment on my own, without a prescription or sleep study. My husband has used CPAP for over five years with excellent results. I have been experiencing increasingly difficult insomnia, snoring and often awaken gasping for air. In desperation I have tried my husband's CPAP (with new hoses, pillows etc.) and was amazed at the restorative rest after only two hours of use. My insurance has a painfully high deductible, so studies, equipment etc. would be out of pocket cost. I am in search of experienced users opinions and suggestions in my search for relief. Thanks!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Guest wrote:My insurance has a painfully high deductible, so studies, equipment etc. would be out of pocket cost. I am in search of experienced users opinions and suggestions in my search for relief. Thanks!
We have many forum members who have done just what you are wanting to do with great success. For plain jane vanilla OSA it isn't difficult and if you run into trouble you could then go the traditional route.

If you will register here at the forum so you can send and receive private messages...send me a private message and I can explain further.
You would want a full data machine...they can be found without a RX...there's a great one offered on the forum just today for $280...software to monitor results is easily obtained for both ResMed and Respironics machines.
Masks do require a RX but there are ways to get masks without RX or if your husband has a RX...you could use his for online purchase.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

awesomeuniversal

Post by awesomeuniversal » Wed May 21, 2014 10:07 pm

Hello! I'm completely new here,

Triskit

"New" To CPap

Post by Triskit » Thu May 22, 2014 4:34 am

Hello,
My name is Krista and I am soon to be 28 years old and from Iowa. I was first diagnosed with sleep apnea around 2000, but never used the machine. At the urging of my Boyfriend, I went in for a more recent sleep study. In just short of three hours I had a total of four apnea's. My heart rate dropped to as low as 32 and went as high as 255. Needless to say, that scared me into using my machine. I have the Respironics System One and I love it so much more than my older model machine. I am still waking up in the middle of the night or early morning to remove the mask due to the pressure, but I am slowly adjusting and I hope to eventually be able to keep it on all night. I am no longer napping during the day and my sleep schedule has went back to normal (I used to sleep 36 out of 48 hours). I've been using my new machine since the 7th of this month and I am eager to see the stats at the end of the month to see how much I have improved.
I have been to this site many times as a guest, but decided early this morning to create an account and become more involved.
The nicest thing for me is sleep, then at least I can dream.
Marilyn Monroe

Johnny40

Post by Johnny40 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:14 pm

I have also been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and I'm 47 male. The Sleep Therapist set me up with a ResMed 9 machine and initially with the nasal mask. AFter 10 days or sooner, I told her my mouth was dry. She thought my mouth was open partially during the night. I went back in for a mask exchange, and now I use a mask for both my nasal & mouth. My mouth is still dry, and I feel more uncomfortable with this new mask.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Thanks in advance,

John