PUFFY EYES SINCE STARTING CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tireduser

Re: PUFFY EYES SINCE STARTING CPAP

Post by tireduser » Fri May 07, 2010 6:09 am

I have only been using my machine 2 months. My first mask was the Swift LT for Women and my eyes were very puffy. My dr. said it was because the mask didn't fit right. I traded it in for the Breeze w/nose pillows and my eyes are STILL very puffy. My pressure is only 10, I sleep on my sides and stomach, and I do not notice any leaks. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri May 07, 2010 7:31 am

tireduser wrote:I have only been using my machine 2 months. My first mask was the Swift LT for Women and my eyes were very puffy. My dr. said it was because the mask didn't fit right. I traded it in for the Breeze w/nose pillows and my eyes are STILL very puffy. My pressure is only 10, I sleep on my sides and stomach, and I do not notice any leaks. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
There is a connection between the nose and eyes through the tear ducts and some people have that problem. You need to see an ophthalmologist who knows about cpap treatment. Sometimes they can block that duct but other wise learn to live with it. Puffy eyes is a small problem compared to the potentially lethal effects of OSA.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

lchurch

Post by lchurch » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:20 pm

I also wake with extreme puffy eyes. Sometimes so swollen that the lid tries to drape over my eyes. I use the full face mask at a high pressure and sleep on my sides. Which ever side I am sleeping on the most has more swelling. I haven't noticed much leaking in the eye area. I have mine very tight due to oily skin. I thought perhaps the tightness was causing the swelling. I don't know if the tightness could cause sinus cavity issues or something like that. My eyes will swell on the lid and under the eye.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:34 pm

I use the Hybrid and have had pressures up to 22. I wear a headband over the nasal pillows/tip of my nose to keep the pillows from slipping out. It isn't the pressure that causes slippage--it's my facial structure/pressure do the bed pillow against my face (I'm a side-sleeper).