Carry on luggage - CPAP as third bag?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
plr66

Re: Carry on luggage - CPAP as third bag?

Post by plr66 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:35 pm

My post got lost in the heat of the discussion, so let me check again about this. I get dead links when I try to go to the first two below, given by Dreamdiver near the beginning of the thread. The third one is dated 2001, and I'm still needing to know if this is the most current version of the rules. Anyone know?

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...ngMobilityAids

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...anceProcedures

See also http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/20011029.htm
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

gasp

Post by gasp » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:46 pm

iclyne wrote:Hi all;
I've seen your posts and heard that I can carry my CPAP as a separate bag from my other 2 carry-ons. Is this true? Does anyone know where this is written? I am a frequent business traveler and have taken my CPAP with me for over a year now. But recently I have been harassed twice by US Airways. Once it was the flight attendant and once it was the gate agent. They were verbally abusive to me in front of other passengers for carrying a third bag. All my bags put together are smaller than most others carry-ons, but I have a laptop roller bag, large purse and my M-Series CPAP and they can't seem to understand. TSA and other airlines are very accepting.

I want to claim discrimination against the handicapped for their rude confrontations, but I need something official. I've gone to the TSA website and searched on the web, but I can't find anything that states that a CPAP machine doesn't count towards your carry-on (which is what I read here in the forum).

Please help!
Thanks,
Iris
Having a medical device tag may help with their knee jerk reaction to your third bag. This forum's hose, cpap.com has them for sale.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/CPAP-M ... t-Tag.html

I haven't had any trouble carrying it on many flights so far. However, if I did, I would put the tag on the shoulder strap so it dangles in a conspicuous way at shoulder level versus on the bag which would be at a lower level. This should catch their eye and they'll be curious and investigative instead of commenting on a third bag - hopefully.

ractar28

Post by ractar28 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:14 pm

gasp wrote:This should catch their eye and they'll be curious and investigative instead of commenting on a third bag - hopefully.
WOW, that's the most awesome response yet. Instead of making them accost you for having a third bag, have it prominantly displayed so they know why you have it rather than assuming you're just trying to "get away with something".

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:12 am

I am surptised to see someone actually state their dismay over tha fact that a C-Pap should not be included under tha disabilities act for traveling on an airplane. Obviously this person does not fly very much. I fly regularly and carry-on a collapsable gym bag for my clothes and. Computer bag for my work. I also have a C-Pap. The C-Pap policy for the airline is that it must be carried in it's own bag, not put in a bag with other items. For this reason, I have 3 carry-ons. All the disabilities act is doing is not holding C-pap users to other standards compared to others because we have a medical device. They are not sayine we are disabled. If so, then where is my handicap parking tag? Because the C-Pap is included in the disabilities act, we are allowed to bring on two carry on bags just like everyone else. But we also have a bag for our C-Pap that does not count. Keep in mind that a coat, reading material, and fold up strollers do not count as a third carry-on either. None of those are necassary during a flight.

The bottom line is that you should never ever check your C-Pap machine. If you do, you are a fool. The baggage handlers throw the bags around not worrying about what is inside. And heaven forbid the airline loose your checked bag containing a C-Pap. All the disabilities act is doing is letting us not check our MEDICAL DEVICE, and letting us maintain our right ti carry on two items.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:21 am

TSA agents have been dealing with CPAPs for many years. I have been carrying my CPAP along with a regular carry on as long as I have had the CPAP (4+ years). I have never been questioned.

JamesW6175

Post by JamesW6175 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Question - Do you send the CPAP equipment thru the TSA X-ray machine? Is there a possibility of hurting any of the data within the machine? Should the SD card be removed?

Since the TSA and Airlines consider this equipment as a medical requirement for the passenger, and the Government is classifying the equipment as 'Disability' requirement. What are we, the Sleep Apnea can not be cured (?) , only treated. Does this disability or condition mean we are in a gray area as far as having a disability or handicapped? Or does this all key on what the government think is what this condition ( definition ) is as far as traveling.

It is still confusing or exactly what to do or what paperwork is required.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:14 am

JamesW6175 wrote:Question - Do you send the CPAP equipment thru the TSA X-ray machine? Is there a possibility of hurting any of the data within the machine? Should the SD card be removed?
Yes it goes through the Xray machine. No there isn't a possibility of your data being hurt. I've never had issues with my SD card (or my smart card when I had an older machine)! And I never remove it.