backup xPAP machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Paul56

backup xPAP machine?

Post by Paul56 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:30 am

Anyone have a backup xPAP machine in addition to their regular unit?

Perhaps a smaller unit that you use for traveling and as a backup system in case anything goes wrong with your main unit. I was looking at possibly purchasing this system...

https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/proba ... chine.html

...to have as a backup/travel unit.

I've gathered from reading the archives here that going off the xPAP for even as little as one night can have some lasting effects (but not irrreversible) effects on how one feels for a few days after going off the machine.

looking4zzzz

Re: backup xPAP machine?

Post by looking4zzzz » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:43 am

There's no exhale pressure relief on that one. Does that matter to you?

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:28 am

Paul56 wrote:Anyone have a backup xPAP machine in addition to their regular unit?
Paul, I have a backup system, exactly like the one I rent from DME.
I also have multiple masks. I will soon have battery backup.

This therapy is too important not to have duplicates of everything needed.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

txnative

Post by txnative » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:48 am

My backup/travel machine is a PB 420E APAP. Fine little machine. Light and easy to transport since I do not use a Humidifier with it.

I got the 420E as a backup since, in addition to being small, light, and relatively low cost, it gives an indication of centrals and I was interested in seeing if they were going to be a problem. As it turns out, centrals are a problem for me.

I do notice that the 420E is not as quiet as the S8 AutoSet II.

Began CPAP on Jul 22, 2008. Split Night Study failed to get a good titration pressure. Titrated (2 week home APAP) at 10. Currently using APAP at 13-15. Not using Humidifier. Even with SA under control, still can't sleep all night!

ufo13

Post by ufo13 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:14 am

Paul56:

I agree with txnative above! I have had machines from all the major manufacturers, and you can't go wrong with any of them IMO as far as good treatment is concerned. It's just that some of the machines give slightly better therapy for some of us, and of course personal preferance! I use an AUTO now, but I have had a PB 420G purchased quite a few years ago, used it extensivly until I got the AUTO, and still use it when traveling sometimes! It is a BASIC cpap machine without alot of bells and whistles, but for what it's worth it has proven to be a very reliable, quiet basic machine over the years and I paid more than double the price of what it's selling for today! If you only need a basic machine for back-up and travel, the PB 420G should be considered, It's a tough little machine, that has proven itself to me over the years to be very reliable, and very easy to travel with! Hope this helps you!

Steve,
ufo13

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:31 am

Yep, if one can possibly afford it, I highly recommend having a backup/travel xPAP. Don't overlook a good buy on a lightly used one at cpapauction.com When on straight CPAP I was able to purchase a top of the line auto PAP w/just 505 hours on it. When switched to a bi-level I was able to purchase a top of the line auto bi-level w/just 26 hours on it. The first I bought thru yahooauction when it was still in business. The second I bought thru cpapauction. craigslist is worth checking too just in case someone local has one for sale. I don't think craigslist has the safeguards that cpapauction does so I'd only buy locally where I could meet the person and check out the xPAP personally first. I've never purchased anything thru craigslit so maybe I'm being unfair or inaccurate about their safeguards.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:42 am

I notice that you have an Auto in your profile. What does your prescription say?
If it says "APAP", then you could have problems getting a CPAP from an online seller (unless your doctor can write another one for a straight-pressure CPAP)

But, yeah, I've made sure I won't ever be without backup machines, masks, hoses, filters, etc., etc.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:03 am

Paul56 wrote:Anyone have a backup xPAP machine in addition to their regular unit?

...to have as a backup/travel unit.
I have two backup units a 420G and a M c-flex without humidifier ( the M is GREAT for travel! & Lite / Small ) and able to keep the data card info!
Having a BATTERY to cover power outage is SOMETHING I recommend to everybody Image

It's JUST $$$$ but look how much you would be spending on cigarettes or Booze & which is better for you??

BERT

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:08 am

I bought my backup machine on cpapauction.com. It's an S7 lightweight(had 210 hours on it) came with heated humidifier...I paid $110!! I love when I have to overnight somewhere I don't have to pack up my first line machine and mask. This was a well worth investment.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:24 am

Yep, I have a mask, hose, etc. EVERYTHING needed all packed and ready to go w/my backup xPAP. Its GREAT to just walk out the door, have what I need when traveling, and when I get home, all I have to do is just into bed w/my primary xPAP and mask just waiting for me. No packing or unpacking. LOVE IT!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:38 am

Paul56 wrote:I've gathered from reading the archives here that going off the xPAP for even as little as one night can have some lasting effects (but not irreversible) effects on how one feels for a few days after going off the machine.
"Death" is not reversible. I happen to have personal knowledge of someone who was an XPAP user.....he had to work late one night and when he got home, didn't bother to put it on......he died that night. The reason I know this is because he was one of my wife's ex-husbands.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:54 am

At this point pressure relief is not important to me as I'm not using it and not having problems breathing.

I have 2 prescriptions: 1 for CPAP and 1 for APAP. If one isn't good enough... I can give them the other. Already went through the "not good enough" response from the DME. My Doc took care of that.

Being an ordinary working stiff having yet to win the lottery I'd prefer not to sink funds into purchasing another Resmed S8 AutoSet II. I know I can pickup one online for ~$1,000 which is not out of reach but would rather not take that step just yet. However, I do know having a backup device would give me the warm fuzzies. The DME is certainly not going to rush out here with a loan machine if mine malfunctions at bedtime... so there is one night without therapy with who knows what consequences.

Dead? After only missing one night? Wow, certainly something to consider! Speculation on my part, but I wonder if our airways get lazy after being forced open with pressure to the point that when that pressure is not present the airway closes up more readily that our pre-machine days thus making the apnea condition much worse.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:12 pm

Paul56 wrote:....Speculation on my part, but I wonder if our airways get lazy after being forced open with pressure to the point that when that pressure is not present the airway closes up more readily that our pre-machine days thus making the apnea condition much worse.
I have wondered that same thing (like they used to say about habitually using Melatonin impairing one's ability to fall asleep without taking it)....but in this particular case, I ain't a-gonna be the one to test it!
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:22 pm

Paul56 wrote:Speculation on my part, but I wonder if our airways get lazy after being forced open with pressure to the point that when that pressure is not present the airway closes up more readily that our pre-machine days thus making the apnea condition much worse.

I seem to have noticed a variation on that idea. It seems that when I first started CPAP therapy, I felt better for a few days, then I was starting to feel progressively more tired. Then one night I taped my mouth shut and felt TERRIFIC the next day. Now I am back to taking naps occasionally, even though I have continued taping my mouth.

It's almost like my body has some sort of set point. Whatever I do to correct my fatigue, my body is going to find a way to accommodate the change and revert back to my old tired ways.

Sigh.

WNJ

Post by WNJ » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:15 pm

I have two REMstar Autos, two UMFF's, another spare hose, etc.

Wayne