confused about software and card reader

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
looking4zzzz

confused about software and card reader

Post by looking4zzzz » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:42 pm

I found a site that listed the following:

Encore Viewer CPAP/BIPAP Tracking Software 1.0

Encore Viewer Software Packages:
Software CD (PC) $139
Software CD & USB card reader $139
Software CD & PCMCIA card reader $139

Here are my questions: How or why would they sell the software alone for the same price as the software and the card reader? Do you think there is a problem there? Is the difference between the USB card reader and the PCMCIA card reader that the USB card reader means you connect your CPAP machine to your computer via a USB port (as in, you have to bring your laptop to where the CPAP machine is) and the PCMCIA cardreader you can keep near your computer and bring your card to it? Is that the right version for me to buy if I have the Respironics REMStar Auto M Series with A-flex? I have Windows XP on my computer. Will the software work with that? What else do I need to consider to be sure I can use the software?

Thanks.

jules

Re: confused about software and card reader

Post by jules » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:49 pm

The card reader most ppl use plugs into a USB port. Make sure your computer has one - most recent ones do (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB).

There is also a card reader that plugs into a serial port (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port).

All you move is the card from the CPAP to the card reader - no plugging in the CPAP to the computer.

Encore viewer works (so I have been told) with XP or Vista and with all the remstar's including the m series Aflex.

For the Aflex APAP or Vista, the version of Encore Pro needed is 1.8 (instead of Encore Viewer).

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:56 pm

jules wrote:
For the Aflex APAP or Vista, the version of Encore Pro needed is 1.8 (instead of Encore Viewer).
OMG. I just ordered the M-Series Auto A-flex bundle from cpap.com, and the software they include (and have just shipped) is the Encore Viewer 1.0
What's up with that??
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

jules

Post by jules » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Encore Viewer is version 1.0 - that is the right one.

Encore Pro is the old "professional" not for the consumer software that is no longer being sold. Sometimes people find old copies around and use them.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:02 pm

plr66 wrote:
jules wrote:
OMG. I just ordered the M-Series Auto A-flex bundle from cpap.com, and the software they include (and have just shipped) is the Encore Viewer 1.0
What's up with that??
You're fine. Encore Viewer will work with all of the Respironics (data capable) machines and Windows XP and Vista operating systems. What it doesn't do is keep the data in an SQL database like the Encore Pro software does. You can still monitor your therapy with it. Respironics came out with the "Viewer" version for the end-users because the "Pro" version could be used to change the settings in the machines. (like we can't figure out that anyway).

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Wulfman wrote: ...Respironics came out with the "Viewer" version for the end-users because the "Pro" version could be used to change the settings in the machines. (like we can't figure out that anyway).
Den
Yike, again. I thought the software I just purchased was to make an easier job of changing the machine settings in addition to monitoring. I'm not so sure about my savvy to be able to figure that out...
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:11 pm

So do you guys think it is legit if they're selling the card reader & software bundled for the same price as the card reader alone?

jules

Post by jules » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:13 pm

It is all up to them not us.

If you want to discuss it with them, call them on Monday.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:28 pm

plr66 wrote:
Wulfman wrote: ...Respironics came out with the "Viewer" version for the end-users because the "Pro" version could be used to change the settings in the machines. (like we can't figure out that anyway).
Den
Yike, again. I thought the software I just purchased was to make an easier job of changing the machine settings in addition to monitoring. I'm not so sure about my savvy to be able to figure that out...
Nope.....that's going to be for YOU to determine. You wouldn't want your machine overriding YOUR settings, would you?

Besides, making settings changes are easy enough through the Setup menu, anyway.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:31 pm

Anyone have any idea how to access Encore Pro?
Last edited by plr66 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:32 pm

looking4zzzz wrote:So do you guys think it is legit if they're selling the card reader & software bundled for the same price as the card reader alone?
I've always felt that they (manufacturers) should be including the complete package with all of their data capable machines, anyway.

Just remember......CPAP.COM will (as far as I know) "price match" other online websites' prices, too.

Den
User since 05/14/05

grandmajoy

Post by grandmajoy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:59 pm

Ok - I know I'm forgetful sometimes, but I hope I'm not hallucinating. Wasn't there just a post about websites that indicate that Encore Pro might be available as freeware? Where did that go?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:12 pm

plr66, the software called Encore Viewer will work fine with your APAP with A-flex.
plr66 wrote:changing the machine settings
---
I'm not so sure about my savvy to be able to figure that out...
You won't have any problem doing that on your M series APAP with A-Flex machine itself. You don't need software to change the machine settings. When your machine arrives from cpap.com, there will be a card in it (look through the bag to find the card) called: Quick Setup Guide.

That "guide" shows clearly how to get into the therapy setup menu and what each menu item looks like in the LCD (the little window on your machine.)

If you'd like to have the Guide ahead of time, PM me your email address and I'll email it to you. You'll see how simple it's going to be.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:19 pm

"Just remember......CPAP.COM will (as far as I know) "price match" other online websites' prices, too."

Yes, I wouldn't order without giving them the opportunity to price match, since they sponsor this forum that has been so helpful to me!

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:30 pm

rested gal wrote: You won't have any problem doing that on your M series APAP with A-Flex machine itself. You don't need software to change the machine settings. When your machine arrives from cpap.com, there will be a card in it (look through the bag to find the card) called: Quick Setup Guide.

That "guide" shows clearly how to get into the therapy setup menu and what each menu item looks like in the LCD (the little window on your machine.)

If you'd like to have the Guide ahead of time, PM me your email address and I'll email it to you. You'll see how simple it's going to be.
Thanks so much for your reassurance, Rested Gal. I have learned over the past 3-4 weeks that there is never a need for anxiety about dealing with this whole process due to the incredible amount of support and knowledge of those on this forum. I just need to remind myself of that every now and then. I should just wait till my new supplies arrive before getting worried about what I do or don't think I know....