My fix for rainout (condensation) in Swift LT nasal pillow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sronsen

Re: My fix for rainout (condensation) in Swift LT nasal pillow

Post by sronsen » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:57 am

GumbyCT wrote:
I guess you feel like your experience trumps mine?

So be it!!
Sorry if I cam across too strongly, but you don't have an equipment profile and I have no way of knowing that you've had differing experience than I. What kind of hose heating did you try that didn't stop mask rainout, and what kind of mask?

In my setup, the Repti cable is cable of heating the air to the point of discomfort for me, and I use a dimmer to reduce the power output to maintain comfort while still preventing mask condensation. I'm not, however, using a full-face mask which I presume puts a lot more moisture into the mask than a nasal mask.

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:29 am

Hose heating is not enough for some masks.

My favorite mask is the Headreast -- and the Headrest's original nasal seal was so thin that there was practically no way of avoiding condensation and rainout on its inside. Newer seals are slightly thicker -- but still condensation prone.

I nead an additional cover on my Aussie heated hose. And a cover for the masks' short tube as well. With both of those, and humidity on the low side, I have beatten condensation /rainout problems.

Gumby know whereof he speaks -- he too fell in love with the Headrest. I don't think any mask is as badly prone to rainout as the Headrest -- but it's worth the struggle.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:56 am

The Headrest mask has a big problem with "exhaled breath condensation" which builds up inside the nosepiece.

There are (2) ways to solve the problem.......inserting a cotton string wick.......and cutting a small hole in the nosepiece (between the nasal pillows) to let a small amount of air escape.

Because I tape my mouth every night, my leaks are almost nonexistant....and the small amount of exhaust air that escapes thru the little hole I cut helps purge the moisture. The little exhaust hole also has the additional benefit of purging any CO2 buildup inside the nosepiece (between breaths).

For the past 16-months, I've experience "zero rainout"...none....nada.

I LOVE the Headrest mask!

Gerald

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:09 pm

sronsen wrote:...but you don't have an equipment profile...
I don't buy that. Well unless you are saying you never read any of the other posts in this thread - ALL which have equipment profiles you insist make a difference. And ALL which seemed to have a different experience, including the OP, most in great detail. Unless they are ALL fiction writers?
sronsen wrote:...and I have no way of knowing that you've had differing experience than I...
Well how 'bout what I posted...what you replied to???
GumbyCT wrote:Agreed with the hose but this can do nothing for rainout which occurs within the mask. Some masks are just more prone to rainout. just fwiw
GumbyCT wrote:
I guess you feel like your experience trumps mine?
AND everyone elses, too.

I just don't buy it.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Seasharp

Post by Seasharp » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:03 am

WOW! Great job. It WORKS! I used a thin plastic wire tie. They are like duct tape in my house...a universal fix-everything. It's great when we can one-up a bunch of engineers. ARE YOU LISTENING, RES MED?

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Seasharp wrote:WOW! Great job. It WORKS! I used a thin plastic wire tie. They are like duct tape in my house...a universal fix-everything. It's great when we can one-up a bunch of engineers. ARE YOU LISTENING, RES MED?
Seasharp, I am not very active in this forum these days, but I do get emails when posts are done to my original threads.

The one above has since been replaced with another method. I have never looked back. This one has no daily maintenance like cleaning and inserting the wick, but requires a bit of knowledge with electrical heating. See my old post here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36287&p=315704#p315704

This is quite different from heating the long cpap tube (available under many brands commercially). I maintain the contrary opinion, under similar condition, heating the tube and leaving the short tube close to your nostrils may actually increase condensation, since the heated saturated air condenses in the colder region near the nose tube.
Resmed S9 Elite cpap mode, H5i Humidifier, Swift FX Bella L nasal pillows

ZombieHack

Post by ZombieHack » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:03 pm

feeling_better, I found your thread, and being a lazy 20 something I wondered if there was a way to do the wick without sewing and make it disposable?

I decided on using a thick paper towel (Viva, a US brand) or a product called Shop Towels might work (the thick blue ones).

Ingredients:
Nasal Pillows (I used the ones for my Swift LT, any size will do!)
Twist Ties (8" long precut or spool)
Thick paper towel
SHARP scissors

Step One: Fold
Fold the paper towel in quarters, this gets you 4 wicks out of one towel! Thrifty.

Step Two: Cut
Cut along the folds.You need very SHARP scissors for this, or else the towel will tear and leave little fibers to be inhaled later.

Step Three: Measure
I did this by placing the twist tie in the perimiter of the pillow, then cutting to length. For my pillows (medium) I got two out of each twist tie.

Step Four: Roll
Roll twist tie into paper towel, keep it centered.

Step Five: Trim
Make sure enough paper towel is covering the end of the twist tie, the exposed wire can be sharp! Optional: Wrap the ends with thin string or thread to keep the package together and stop the wires from being exposed.

Step Six: Insert
Insert the device into the perimiter of the pillows keeping the seem facing the outside, this should soak up pretty much all condensation during the night and stop them from unwrapping! Just toss 'em in the morning!

I'll post pictures if anyone wants/needs them!

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Materials such as paper, especially that shop cleaning blue paper,, may have special treated chemicals in them, which they may slowly release especially in a moist environment. Since this is close to your lungs, just like cigarettes, you may be introducing very harmful chemicals to you. Of course most cigarette smokers have convinced themselves there is no harm in smoking

Cordially,
Feeling_better
Resmed S9 Elite cpap mode, H5i Humidifier, Swift FX Bella L nasal pillows