New Cure for Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

New Cure for Sleep Apnea

Post by roster » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:31 am

That George Foreman vs. Muhammad Ali seems a little strange juxtaposition.

https://snoringsolutionsite.com/#form

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Re: New Cure for Sleep Apnea

Post by Pad A Cheek » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:45 am

Rooster,

This is scary to say the least. The information is just plain dangerous to people who are seeking information about sleep apnea treatment.

The tables show that it does not work. I do not know what they think they are trying to prove by the testing. The tables did not copy as a table so it is a bit tricky to figure out what number goes with the label. To see a table version of this, follow Rooster's link.

Hmmmm

Table 1 - Baseline Study No Jaw Supporter or Other Sleep Aid
PATIENT APNEAS HYPOPNEAS SNORES OXYGEN SATURATION BLOOD PRESSURE AM BLOOD PRESSURE PM
1 170 0 56 82% 123/74 135/72
2 1 53 2043 84% -------- ---------
3 0 2 844 89% 128/90 ---------
4 232 0 1068 69.5% 181/99 ---------
5 0 6 2410 83% --------- ---------
6 48 104 530 76.8% --------- ---------
7 85 129 468 85% 135/52 144/90
8 65 97 4904 84% --------- ---------
9 0 54 1824 84% 141/73 144/82
10 0 35 1026 70% --------- ---------

Table 2 - Study Using The "My Snoring Solution" brand Jaw Supporter
PATIENT APNEAS HYPOPNEAS SNORES OXYGEN SATURATION BLOOD PRESSURE AM BLOOD PRESSURE PM
1 8 0 0 87% 152/81 162/78
2 6 65 847 89% 178/91 136/78
3 0 4 430 86% 139/80 121/78
4 58 12 1382 72% 149/80 178/114
5 2 0 2090 85% 148/63 136/80
6 17 2 1774 88% 125/85 119/75
7 62 56 871 85% 104/68 123/80
8 2 36 3620 87% 134/79 140/90
9 0 0 3323 89% 120/69 117/74
10 16 92 307 72% 175/72 173/77

Do not believe all you read on the internet. Your own research should also be based on your own experiences.

Karen

Billy6

Post by Billy6 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:03 am

I've seen websites where dentists and orthodontists will make you a device that pushes your lower jaw forward, thus opening the airway. And these are approved devices for mild and moderate breathing problems. But I was quoted $3,200 by the orthodontist (naturally with the sales pitch that I could use braces too, at a bundled price of $5,000). This chin strap you refer to looks like it tries to do the same thing-move the jaw forward. Thats too big a gamble for me.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:29 am

Long ago when I was living in fear of a cpap machine, I tried this. Now, it had a different name then, but it is definitely the same thing. It did nothing for my snoring. I'd wake up with my jaw dropped down, even with it really tight. And, of course, with it really tight, I'd also wake up with a headache. I'm also a person who snores with mouth open or closed.

I went to a dentist at the beginning of my cpap therapy last year to talk about the oral device that brings the lower jaw forward. He specialized in this. His price would have been under $1500. But, after our discussion, he said that it was up to me, but if cpap was working for me, he'd stick with that. He usually just liked to use this device for those who can't tolerate cpap after trying for a reasonable amount of time, or who wanted it as a backup for travel, not wanting to lug the cpap on trips. I figured since he was losing a "sale" by telling me this, he could be trusted in his information. (The consultation fee was $50, and he only charged me $25! If he wasn't so far away, I'd switch dentists!)

This My Snoring Solution chin strap thing is scary!

Pam

tuna

Post by tuna » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:03 am

I can't stand using a chinstrap, I would really hate that thing!

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:08 pm

The chin strap may not work, but those having difficulty falling asleep might try reading that whole web page, zzzzzzzzzzzz....
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

VideoGeek

Post by VideoGeek » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:04 am

It's the old different strokes for different folks. I've tried the cpap clinically. I didn't sleep worth a darn and my wife would never tolerate the noise. The thing that has worked best for me is a simple wide headband stretched from the back of my head to my chin. This seems to be a lot like the jaw supporter. But a head band cost $2.50. This thing from Snoring Solutions costs $70.00. If it were $10 or $20 I'd give it a try.

kebsa

Post by kebsa » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:32 am

As a newbie who is still going through the process of working out what machine and what setting will provide the best result, i can see this as misleading information about sleep apnoa at best. "curing" snoring may certainly assist with reducing sleep apnoea but it does not neccessarilly cure it! It would be appealing to think that a chin strap would fix the problem (and it may for some) but it were as simple as that the machines and more costly dental appliances would never have come to be. failing that i will just quote one of my fathers favorite sayings "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is"

roster

Post by roster » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:07 am

VideoGeek wrote:It's the old different strokes for different folks. I've tried the cpap clinically. I didn't sleep worth a darn and my wife would never tolerate the noise. The thing that has worked best for me is a simple wide headband stretched from the back of my head to my chin. This seems to be a lot like the jaw supporter. But a head band cost $2.50. This thing from Snoring Solutions costs $70.00. If it were $10 or $20 I'd give it a try.
"Worked" to do what? Put your mind at ease while sleep apnea continues to destroy your health and prepare you for premature death?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

track

Post by track » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:34 am

Maybe I should patent my bicycle helmet/back supporter get up, make an infomercial and make millions for those who are position sensitive.

Debjax

Post by Debjax » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:52 am

They tout this as a valid treatment, when not one of their "patients" has an oxygen saturation level at 90 or above? Who regulates these people?

I'm still hot....it just comes in flashes...
iMob Friend Code - 179-961-093

track

Post by track » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:27 am

Who regulates these people?
The more regulation, the bigger the federal government... the more taxes needed.

roster

Post by roster » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:50 am

track wrote:
Who regulates these people?
The more regulation, the bigger the federal government... the more taxes needed.

Agreed. There has to be some personal responsibility. Everyone should learn caveat emptor. If you don't know this you are probably making many other bad financial decisions and just in general, many bad decisions in life.

Who will regulate the federal government? Kudos to Obama; three of his top picks have already dropped out. I would like to think this is because they know he is not going to put up with this crap. Where will he find three honest men to replace them? Very difficult in Washington.

SleepingWithACPAP

Post by SleepingWithACPAP » Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm

My husband has a bad case of sleep apnea. He can be heard outside and I really don't like sleeping with him because of his snoring. He has a CPAP machine which is an unnatural way to sleep because of the way it's made. It's a cumbersome mask with tubes that have to lay just right in order to be affective. I jokingly refer to it as the ventilator because it looks just like one and sounds like one too. All this to say this...it's not really an affective treatment. It's bulkiness and configuration requirements lead to it's not being used regularly like it should be. My husband struggles with it while trying to sleep. His nose is bruised from the face mask. And did I say that even the models that are designed to reduce noise are loud. I pray everyday for an affective remedy as do others because sleep depravation is dangerous for all affected.

roster

Post by roster » Mon May 18, 2009 7:21 pm

If neither of you want him to use the CPAP, that's fine with me. I just hope all the health conditions that he develops don't turn out to be Medicare or Medicaid costs that I have to help pay for.