Last night was my first time...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mikosiko

Last night was my first time...

Post by Mikosiko » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi all... I'm a new member... and new to this world... little scared but thinking positive

As I said... last night was my first night connected to my brand new machine... at least was funny to look myself at the mirror with the mask and hoses... damn!!... that was really me?

well... kind of depressing but a rather prefer to look weird that die of this damn thing!!... and in the positive side... maybe is a good training to start looking to dive don't you think?

I didn't sleep to much.. mask and air flow wasn't an issue... hoses were kind a pain but it should improve when I find the right setup.... you know what was amazing?... 2 things...:
1) a couple times during the night I was really aware of my apnea ... I could feel myself when I did stop breathing ... and also I was able to feel how the machine did its work... GREAT!!!

and more important...
2) was amazing to awake with my wife at my side.... first night in months that she doesn't have to change rooms at midnight because my snoring... even my cat was there )

I've been reading here for a week or so... try to learn the technical stuff and terminology... still confused but I'm going to learn... so here is my first question:
- Worth the money to buy the software/stuff (ResScan) to read your own data ?

BTW: I do have this setup: ... also... I'm not sure yet about the proper terminology... but my machine have a setup of 11. (just repeating doc's words... "your index is very high".. no idea yet what the hell that means ).
- S8 Escape II
- HumidAire 3i humidifier
- Mirage Swift II mask

well... hope this is enough of an introduction... and let start teaching me guys and gals!!

Hawthorne

Re: Last night was my first time...

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:10 pm

The software is well worth it! With it you can really manage your own therapy! There are lots of people here who are really experienced and can really help you make the best use of that machine AND help you interpret the data you will get from the software.

If you are aware and amazed about feeling how the machine works --just wait until you have the software and SEE what was happening during the night!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:15 pm

Mikosiko wrote:... even my cat was there )
The message of hope is delivered in so many ways.

Mikosiko, thank you!

I hope that cpap brings you new health and a new life.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Mikosiko wrote:Hi all... I'm a new member... and new to this world... little scared but thinking positive

As I said... last night was my first night connected to my brand new machine... at least was funny to look myself at the mirror with the mask and hoses... damn!!... that was really me?

well... kind of depressing but a rather prefer to look weird that die of this damn thing!!... and in the positive side... maybe is a good training to start looking to dive don't you think?

I didn't sleep to much.. mask and air flow wasn't an issue... hoses were kind a pain but it should improve when I find the right setup.... you know what was amazing?... 2 things...:
1) a couple times during the night I was really aware of my apnea ... I could feel myself when I did stop breathing ... and also I was able to feel how the machine did its work... GREAT!!!

and more important...
2) was amazing to awake with my wife at my side.... first night in months that she doesn't have to change rooms at midnight because my snoring... even my cat was there )

I've been reading here for a week or so... try to learn the technical stuff and terminology... still confused but I'm going to learn... so here is my first question:
- Worth the money to buy the software/stuff (ResScan) to read your own data ?

BTW: I do have this setup: ... also... I'm not sure yet about the proper terminology... but my machine have a setup of 11. (just repeating doc's words... "your index is very high".. no idea yet what the hell that means ).
- S8 Escape II
- HumidAire 3i humidifier
- Mirage Swift II mask

well... hope this is enough of an introduction... and let start teaching me guys and gals!!
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the software is worth the money. Unfortunately, the machine you have listed "S8 Escape II" is not "data-capable".

You would need at least the Elite or Elite II model or the Vantage or AutoSet II.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Mikosiko

Post by Mikosiko » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:42 pm

Thanks you for the welcome....

Dan... maybe I didn't understand the machine specifications then... because it include a Data card and supposedly I can download the data on it ... for Data Capable you mean that eventually I can connect directly my laptop to the machine and capture information "on-line" ???... could you please explain it to me?... thank you

Miko

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:22 pm

Mikosiko wrote:Thanks you for the welcome....

Dan... maybe I didn't understand the machine specifications then... because it include a Data card and supposedly I can download the data on it ... for Data Capable you mean that eventually I can connect directly my laptop to the machine and capture information "on-line" ???... could you please explain it to me?... thank you

Miko
If your CPAP machine is in fact the "Escape" model (doesn't make any difference whether it's got II behind it).......even though it has a data card, the ONLY thing that machine will record is hours used......."compliance" information. It won't capture leaks, snores, Apneas or any of the "meaningful" data that shows you HOW your therapy is working.

https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/resme ... -cpap.html

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

sleepydoll

Post by sleepydoll » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:44 pm

Welcome to this incredibly awesome group!

Here, you will find you can:

- Change
Some people change when they see the light, others when they feel the heat.

- Be in the moment
Yesterday is a cancelled check; Tomorrow is a promissory note; Today is the only cash you have, so spend it wisely.

-trust in yourself
It's not true that nice guys finish last. Nice guys are winners before the game even starts.

- Care
The more care you put into your life, the more life will care for you, bringing you real inner security. Caring is just good streetsense — So, Judge less and unstress, Care more and high score.

- face difficulties
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your mind off your goals.

- laugh !
The really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

- be part of "the family"
It is amazing how much you can accomplish when it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
TEAM = Together Everyone Achieves More.

So, welcome, Mikosiko !
Looking forward in reading your progress!
D.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:49 pm

But in any case, how it would work if you had the right machine is that it would have a 'smart' card on the side (slotted in) which you'd then pull each a.m. or weekly, etc. and place it in a card reader to download the data (don't rush out to buy that yet as only 1-2 readers work with the software). Presuming you've installed the right program on your machine, and that the card reader's plugged into a USB port at the back, you then download the data from the card and poof, there's your report!

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Good Afternoon. I'm only about 2 -weeks ahead of you, but just like you I want to get better and have been learning a lot here....and spending a lot of time here!

They just came and picked up my rental ResMed II Escape today. While it did provide some sort of "prescribed" CPAP therapy for the past two weeks, how would I know it? I don't feel any better and he machine can't tell you anything more than how many hours you used it!!! (Sorry, but they are just cheap for the insurance company.)

It's my opinion that you will want at a minimum a "Fully Data Capable" machine that you can see your night's results on.

Yesterday I purchased a Respironics M Series A-Flex with Humidifier, Cardreader and Encoreviewer software from cpap.com and it arrived in less than 24 hrs!

Tonight I hope to sleep better because of the automatic pressure feature, and in the morning download into my computer to see what happened to me during the night while I thought I was "asleep"!

With the help of folks here, I will be able to analyze my treatment and get better like many of them. This site is truly a modern miracle.

Like they say here, "Pull up a chair", and you will do fine!

Oh yeah, by the way, NICE BIKE!

Georgio
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

plr66

Post by plr66 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:33 pm

I'm really glad this topic has been raised. I have wondered about what people are referring to with the data reading software. I wonder also if my CPCP is capable. It only has a credit card type of "Smart Card"--and since I have only logged less than a week with this, I have no idea how it is used. I am betting from what I read here, that it is just a basic compliance reader. That would be disappointing, as I really want to know the data on what's happening, and compliance is not an issue with me.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:56 pm

plr66 wrote:I'm really glad this topic has been raised. I have wondered about what people are referring to with the data reading software. I wonder also if my CPCP is capable. It only has a credit card type of "Smart Card"--and since I have only logged less than a week with this, I have no idea how it is used. I am betting from what I read here, that it is just a basic compliance reader. That would be disappointing, as I really want to know the data on what's happening, and compliance is not an issue with me.
If your machine is the REMstar M Series Pro as you have listed in your profile, then it is THIS machine:

https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/Respi ... -CPAP.html

If the top of it has the same thing that's in this picture, then it IS the M Series Pro:

https://www.cpap.com/viewImage.php?PNum ... Screen.jpg

The REMstar M Series Pro IS fully data capable. Yes, it's a straight-pressure CPAP machine, but it will give you the information (apnea, hypopnea, leaks, snores, etc.) that you need to monitor your therapy.

You would only need to acquire the following software and card reader to download and see the therapy details.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage-bundle.php?BundleID=64

Den
User since 05/14/05

plr66

Post by plr66 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:07 pm

Thanks, Den. That's an expensive piece of software, and I would certainly need someone to teach me to read the data intelligently. Is this education something that one can expect from the Home Health folks or whomever is supplying the equipment? Or is it something that folks just have to teach themselves?
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Mikosiko

Post by Mikosiko » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:44 pm

Wulfman wrote:
If your CPAP machine is in fact the "Escape" model (doesn't make any difference whether it's got II behind it).......even though it has a data card, the ONLY thing that machine will record is hours used......."compliance" information. It won't capture leaks, snores, Apneas or any of the "meaningful" data that shows you HOW your therapy is working.

Den
Thanks for you answer Den... I understand now... so basically I have to buy my own machine (not the one that my doctor provide to me) to have better control...

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:47 pm

plr66 wrote:Thanks, Den. That's an expensive piece of software, and I would certainly need someone to teach me to read the data intelligently. Is this education something that one can expect from the Home Health folks or whomever is supplying the equipment? Or is it something that folks just have to teach themselves?
It's really pretty easy to understand. If you went to the bottom of that link I gave you, there are screens that you can click on that show what you'll see in the program. People are frequently posting images of their nightly reports on the forum, so if you stick around and browse through some of the threads, you'll be able to follow what we're talking about.

Here's one thread that has several reports posted in it.

viewtopic/t34478/Encouraging-APAP-progress-so-far.html

Most of the folks who get the software and reader say that it's been an excellent investment for taking control of their therapy. Going back to the doctors will cost much more than that. When I bought mine three years ago, I actually thought it was "cheap".

Den
User since 05/14/05

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Mikosiko wrote:
Wulfman wrote:

Den
Thanks for you answer Den... I understand now... so basically I have to buy my own machine (not the one that my doctor provide to me) to have better control...
Only if they won't upgrade you to a better one. The "DME" (Durable Medical Equipment seller), you got your machine from is going to bill your insurance provider for a "specified" (negotiated) amount.....because regardless of which CPAP machine you get, there is only ONE insurance code that they can bill it with....E0601. The reason they give out the cheapest, low-end machines is because they make more money off of them. Another way to say it is they value THEIR profits above YOUR therapy comfort and success.

If you just recently received your machine, it would be worth your while to see if you can get a better machine.......the Elite II or AutoSet II.

Den
User since 05/14/05