Mask marks on face

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
plr66

Mask marks on face

Post by plr66 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:11 pm

How do you all deal with this? I'm in my first week with CPAP, and am really embarrassed to go to work with pressure marks all over my face, but have no idea how to get them gone quickly. All help will be appreciated!
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

cflame1

Re: Mask marks on face

Post by cflame1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:14 pm

If they're strap marks... contact padacheek (forum member)... if they're made by the actual interface (other than the headgear) ... you may have it on too tight.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:39 pm

plr66 wrote:How do you all deal with this?
Since I started using a FFM, just about a month ago,
and as a result, my AHI daily numbers are consistantly around 1 +/-,
and as a result of those numbers, I am feeling better and better,

Everytime I look in a mirror at that red mark on my nose,
it reminds me of the incredible blessing cpap has been for me,
and it reminds me how I am taking my life back.....
and I don't really care what anyone else thinks about it.

.....but, that's just me. YMMV
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

grandmma

Post by grandmma » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:04 pm

I was told to splash liberally with cold water in the morning as this helps the marks to disappear quicker. I've found this to generally be true, so it may be worth a try.
"You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!"

Billy6

Post by Billy6 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:07 am

I recently posted the same question and someone suggested that my headgear was too tight. I loosened it up at the forehead, nose and mouth areas last night and slept the whole night with no discomfort or leaking and with just a bit of redness that went away after showering

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:57 am

I ordered the Padacheeks for me and my mother....dark blue for me.....plaid plum for her! I'll post how they work.
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:13 pm

Karen's email address for the pad-a-cheeks is http://www.padacheeks.com !

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:14 pm

I've just ordered padacheeks nose bridge protector. Has anyone had success with this? It seems as though it would break the seal and make it leek into the eyes. Has anyone cut the silicone on their mask? The pressure of the seal cuts into my nose and leaves such a deep mark that it hurts all day. Some days are worse than others.

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

gasp

Post by gasp » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:33 pm

OutaSync wrote:I've just ordered padacheeks nose bridge protector. Has anyone had success with this? It seems as though it would break the seal and make it leek into the eyes. Has anyone cut the silicone on their mask? The pressure of the seal cuts into my nose and leaves such a deep mark that it hurts all day. Some days are worse than others.

Bev
Have you adjusted the headgear to even out the pressure toward your chin? Perhaps you've already tried this and found it leaks. If so, some here have spoken about using silicone ear plugs. I haven't had the need with my current mask so haven't tried them.

BASCONERO

Post by BASCONERO » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:45 pm

Georgio wrote:I ordered the Padacheeks for me and my mother....dark blue for me.....plaid plum for her! I'll post how they work.
Hi Georgio, I saw that you use a Comfort Gel; can you tell me if it fit new Premium Headgear ( neoprene ) or Deluxe Headgear? I ask you this because me too use this mask and I would like to purchase PadACheek; but came to me a doubt : PadACheek fit only DeLuxe or also Premium ( this last one straps are much large than Deluxe )

p.s.: I hope that I explained well!

ww

Post by ww » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:24 pm

OutaSync wrote:I've just ordered padacheeks nose bridge protector. Has anyone had success with this? It seems as though it would break the seal and make it leek into the eyes. Has anyone cut the silicone on their mask? The pressure of the seal cuts into my nose and leaves such a deep mark that it hurts all day. Some days are worse than others.

Bev
Also buy some of the "Moleskin" and cut a piece 3/4 in x 1 in and cut the edges off the top about 1/4 inch diagonals. Put this on where the marks are on your nose and it stops them completely and does not leak. Let me know how well you make out with the padacheeks nose bridge protector. I bet it won't leak either!

plr66

Post by plr66 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:24 pm

This forum rocks! I am truly amazed at how active the list is....Was expecting a reply in another month or two like with so many other forums, but quickly found that I can't keep up with all the responses to topics I'm interested in.

Thanks to all who commented. I feel so incredibly stupid with all this new stuff. Sure 'nuf. I had thought the mask (Mirage Swift II until tonight) needed to be pretty tight to not leak. So I loosened it a tad, put folded kleenex under the pressure spots on the side pieces and as far as I am aware, it did not leak, and the marks today were hardly visible.
Side note--I like the Swift, but it wore a spot raw on the edge of my nose, so I am trying out the Flexifit 407 now. Not sure the seal is going to be secure, now that I have it home.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:06 pm

It only says Respironics Comfort Series on the headgear. It came with my mask. Otherwise it looks like it is made of neophrene....and hopefully should accept the padacheeks. If you go to the Padacheek site....they have a complete matchup for which of their products fit each mask. Good Luck!
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

robertson

Post by robertson » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:02 am

I'd use a mineral powder foundation. I enjoy Arbonne's I had the first one I purchase last over 7 months.
You apply as much or little as you need. It covers very well but in a nice "air brushed"
way and you don't feel cakey...

Blue Snuffle nose

Post by Blue Snuffle nose » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:37 am

Hello newie here in message boards......

I have been on cpap for quite few years using it everyday.When I started, I too got marks from my mask on my face, when I found the cause I rectify it....Having face straps too tight will give you a good printout from wearing your mask when the night is thru, soultion? Loosen your face straps.
good luck.