What is a normal tidal volume and Peak flow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnk

Re: What is a normal tidal volume and Peak flow

Post by jnk » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:29 am

Perhaps the short answer was already given on tidal volume and I missed it:

The average male adult (whatever one of those looks like), at rest, when awake: 500 mL
The average female adult, at rest, awake: 25% less than that.

Naturally, size does matter (height, width, weight, anatomy) as well as general health, age, condition, and all that stuff. And sleep confuses the issue, I think.

Yeah, I know, the above is merely a layman's ballpark middle-of-the-road figure, so it may be next to useless in the grand scheme of things. But I am a layman, and here in NYC, our layman's ballparks ARE the middle of the road whenever a game of stickball breaks out using the nearest cars' hubcaps for bases.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_te2oxT7PRgC&pg=PT547

zal67

Post by zal67 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:33 pm

Strapparatus wrote:Normal tidal volume for individuals is based on weight in kg (10-15 ml/kg).
peak flow is based on age and height and gender. Peak flows decrease incrementally with age, height and gender.
google: nomogram for peak flows and seek out a chart to determine your normal.
normal tidal volumes have nothing to do with weight.... if you get fatter, do your lungs get bigger too???? I don't think so.... the normal tidal volumes can be based on IBW but not the patients current weight.... that figure, 10-15 ml/kg is pretty old calculation, the new calculation is based on "less is more".... 4-6ml/kg is ideally a better fit..

turbosnore

Post by turbosnore » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:59 pm

Slinky wrote:Hey, Guest, "ain't" nuttin' in this world 100% guaranteed in this life but death and taxes and I'm beginning to wonder 'bout death, but have plenty of faith in the taxes. These xPAPs give us some info to work with, we don't necessarily take it as gospel. H*ll, an xray, CT scan or MRI result is only as good as the radiologist reading it. In the end, I always believe how I FEEL more than I do any of those test results.
Still, watch out, your feeling may sometimes fool you.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:22 am

tv is the volume of air inhaled or exhaled in one respiratory cycle.. its 10-15 ml per kg so for a healthy adult it will be 500ml

Muffy

Post by Muffy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:28 am

Guest wrote:tv is the volume of air inhaled or exhaled in one respiratory cycle.. its 10-15 ml per kg so for a healthy adult it will be 500ml
PLEASE stop posting that value and go back and reread the rest of this thread.

Normal resting tidal volume in a spontaneouly breathing adult is 5 - 7 ml/kg.

Muffy

Machine: Dell Dimension 8100
Mask: 3M N-95 (during flu season)
Humidifier: Avoided, tends to make me moldy
Software: XP Pro
Additional Comments: You can't find a solution when you don't know the problem