What is a normal tidal volume and Peak flow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wlo2008

Re: What is a normal tidal volume and Peak flow

Post by wlo2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:07 am

All the charts I found do not deal with weight. But they have the height and age female verse Male. But I should be around 480 with my age and height. Last night I was at 348.4

wlo2008

Post by wlo2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:10 am

Slinky wrote:Hey, Guest, "ain't" nuttin' in this world 100% guaranteed in this life but death and taxes and I'm beginning to wonder 'bout death, but have plenty of faith in the taxes. These xPAPs give us some info to work with, we don't necessarily take it as gospel. H*ll, an xray, CT scan or MRI result is only as good as the radiologist reading it. In the end, I always believe how I FEEL more than I do any of those test results.

I agree, while nothing maybe 100% it gives us something to look at and work towards doing something about our health. I have Asthma as well so I am wondering if that is why my peak flow is lower then normal as well. Most likely yes. Should just talk to my doc about this. Maybe if I get my asthma more undercontrol I will see better results in my Bipap Auto SV treatment.

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:16 am

Hi, where did you find the peak flow calculation site? The one I found gave me PEF? Thanks.
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 am

Yup, I have COPD so no way in heck am I gonna be in those "normal" ranges very often, if at all. In fact, it would be one heck of a surprise if I ever hit the "normal" ranges! If I ever hit the "normal" ranges I'd KNOW my device had flipped its wig and needed to go in for a check up and repair!!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

wlo2008

Post by wlo2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:22 am

Georgio wrote:Hi, where did you find the peak flow calculation site? The one I found gave me PEF? Thanks.

http://www.peakflow.com/top_nav/normal_ ... index.html

wlo2008

Post by wlo2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:24 am

Slinky wrote:Yup, I have COPD so no way in heck am I gonna be in those "normal" ranges very often, if at all. In fact, it would be one heck of a surprise if I ever hit the "normal" ranges! If I ever hit the "normal" ranges I'd KNOW my device had flipped its wig and needed to go in for a check up and repair!!!!

Yeah I was not thinking about my Asthma till I read more on the Asthma web sites. I just thought it was more underconrol, but I guess I have to work on that to.

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:28 am

Thanks so much. I'm brand new to this and you are very helpful. I'm looking a getting a machine that is data capable....waiting for my copies of sleep study to see if they influence my choice of next machine.

My Tidal Volume = 990ml - 1485ml
My Peak Flow = 615 lpm

Thanks and good luck.
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:29 am

For Peak Flow:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/asthma_PEF.htm

For Tidal Volume convert lbs to kg
http://www.healthyinfo.com/reference/we ... vert.shtml

and then Strapparattus said:
Normal tidal volume for individuals is based on weight in kg (10-15 ml/kg).
So find your weight in kg and multiply that by 10 and by 15 and those two figures would be the "normal" reference range for your weight.

(Assuming you can trust my math logic - always a risky business!)

Last edited by Slinky on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.
My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

pianomagoo

Post by pianomagoo » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:33 am

Georgio wrote:Hi, where did you find the peak flow calculation site? The one I found gave me PEF? Thanks.

I didn't find it either, but I did find a site with an 0nline software that you can use to monitor your PEF and where you can get a peak flow meter. They say EU is more accurate than Wright system and give you a chart showing the differences. You can download a free trial of the software where you can monitor your progress...don't know how much it would cost if you bought it. They have a tutorial and online help for the software. If anyone is interested in checking it out the web address is: my-peak-flow.com/peak-flow-info.html

It tells you that peak flow can vary throughout the day as well as day by day and they have charts to keep records. It also mentions that a variation in readings of more than 15% from morning to evening is dognostic of asthma.

Looks like the future thing will be for patients to have their own medical labs set up at home and they will be their own techicians...

Anne

wlo2008

Post by wlo2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:35 am

Slinky wrote:For Peak Flow:

For Tidal Volume convert lbs to kg

and then Strapparattus said:
Normal tidal volume for individuals is based on weight in kg (10-15 ml/kg).
So find your weight in kg and multiply that by 10 and by 15 and those two figures would be the "normal" reference range for your weight.

(Assuming you can trust my math logic - always a risky business!)
Both sites are the same.....Is that correct.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:54 am

Georgio, I'd recommend the Resmed S8 II Elite w/EPR for a straight fully data capable CPAP or the Resmed S8 II AutoSet for a fully data capable autoPAP.

As a matter of fact, I'd ask for the Resmed S8 II AutoSet which will probably take their breath away since they most likely would be thinking along the lines of a bare-bone, compliance data capable only device to pawn off on you. That gives both you and them negotiating room so they'll be relieved to get away w/providing a Resmed S8 II Elite w/EPR and you will still get a fully data capable CPAP which is what you want anyway.

Now, they "might" have some of the "older" Resmed S8 Elite w/EPR (notice the II is missing) or the Resmed S8 AutoSet Vantage (notice the II is missing and the addition of Vantage). They will be just as satisfactory. The Vantage won't offer EPR in auto mode whereas the S8 II AutoSet will but I never saw any advantage to expiration pressure relief w/an auto. I had a Resmed S8 Elite w/EPR and was VERY happy w/it. I didn't ask my doctor to switch me to a bi-level or I'd still be happily using that Elite.

Oh for crying out loud! I can't seem to do anything right today!!!! My cut and paste "ain't" cutting and pasting any too accurately! (I need to pay more attention!).

The Weight Conversion chart to figure your Tidal Volume reference ranges is:

I edited and corrected it in my previous post too. Sorry 'bout that!!! Man! Don't believe ANYTHING I say or do today w/o questioning it and double checking for yourself!!! Sheesh!

Arizona-Willie

What machines give the info?

Post by Arizona-Willie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:57 am

Which machines give us the info on volume etc. etc.?

I have the S8 Elite but it doesn't seem to give me any volume info --- wish it did.

I extract lots of other info via the Autoscan software ( better than the new software ) and would like to have volume info.

Been thinking of getting a better ( read newer / faster / sexier / more expensive ) machine.

wlo2008

Re: What machines give the info?

Post by wlo2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Arizona-Willie wrote:Which machines give us the info on volume etc. etc.?

I have the S8 Elite but it doesn't seem to give me any volume info --- wish it did.

I extract lots of other info via the Autoscan software ( better than the new software ) and would like to have volume info.

Been thinking of getting a better ( read newer / faster / sexier / more expensive ) machine.

I have a Respironics Bipap Auto SV....When I download my data it gives me a lot of info

wlo2008

Post by wlo2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:07 pm

Slinky wrote:
Oh for crying out loud! I can't seem to do anything right today!!!! My cut and paste "ain't" cutting and pasting any too accurately! (I need to pay more attention!).

The Weight Conversion chart to figure your Tidal Volume reference ranges is:

I edited and corrected it in my previous post too. Sorry 'bout that!!! Man! Don't believe ANYTHING I say or do today w/o questioning it and double checking for yourself!!! Sheesh!

LOL....Its ok. Well after going to the asthma sites and all...Seems like I am always in the yellow zone. Well just one more thing to work on I guess...Maybe I should do a treatment before bed tonight and see if that helps increase my volume at all.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:09 pm

wlo2008 wrote:All the charts I found do not deal with weight. But they have the height and age female verse Male. But I should be around 480 with my age and height. Last night I was at 348.4
that is what I expected to see from your rapid breathing rate, if you breathed more slowly and took in more air that volume should come up and CO2 levels would rise as a result. When you breathe that rapidly it puts you in a near hyperventilation like state (hypocapnia) and centrals start showing up because you are exhausting too much CO2, your body needs to retain some CO2, when it doesn't those Centrals will bring it back up.

the trick or hard part is getting it to slow down and bringing that volume up.
Hypocapnia is the opposite of hypercapnia.
Even when severe, hypocapnia is normally well tolerated. However, hypocapnia causes cerebral vasoconstriction, leading to cerebral hypoxia and this can cause transient dizziness, visual disturbances, and anxiety. A low partial pressure of carbon dioxide in the blood also causes alkalosis (because CO2 is acidic in solution), leading to lowered plasma calcium ions and nerve and muscle excitability. This explains the other common symptoms of hyperventilation —pins and needles, muscle cramps and tetany in the extremities, especially hands and feet.
Hypocapnia is sometimes induced in the treatment of the medical emergencies, such as intracranial hypertension and hyperkalaemia.
Because the brain stem regulates breathing by monitoring the level of blood CO2, hypocapnia can suppress breathing to the point of blackout from cerebral hypoxia. Self-induced hypocapnia through hyperventilation is the basis for the deadly schoolyard fainting game. Deliberate hyperventilation has been unwisely used by underwater breath-hold divers to extend dive time but at the risk of shallow water blackout, which is a significant cause of drowning.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...