Encore Viewer Data After First 17 Days APAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pekoepup

Encore Viewer Data After First 17 Days APAP

Post by Pekoepup » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:40 pm

I have just successfully downloaded my Smartcard to my Encore Viewer software. I think I am doing fairly well for a newbie. I still have a few issues that I am working on but for the most part things are falling into place. I really do love my Swift LT nasal pillow system but I am still having rain out issues.

The download shows many episodes of flow limitation. What is this exactly? I tried to Google this but came up with hits that did not pertain and some that did pertain but were very complex. Is this something to be concerned with or a non issue?

Strangely, my average CPAP pressure is so much lower with my machine. It indicates that Auto Average Peak CPAP pressure was only 6.1 cm. Some nights, I was mostly at 4-5 cm. It makes me wonder if I really need CPAP if I need such low pressures. Do I really need CPAP? During my titration study the pressure I needed was around 9cm. Encore Viewer shows that my AHI is 2.8. It seems like a good number to me. What number am I trying to reach? During my titration study, my AHI was still 7 point something. The average leak is consistent around 18-19 lpm, each night. I think this is acceptable based on the leak table for my mask.

Is there other data that I should be especially interested in? Thanks for any advice. It is very much appreciated.

Madbadvoodoo

Re: Encore Viewer Data After First 17 Days APAP

Post by Madbadvoodoo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:36 pm

ResMed Manual wrote:

ResMed AutoSet Clinical Manual wrote:
Inspiratory flow limitation indicates silent partial obstruction. When your patient is breathing normally, the inspiratory flow measured by the unit as a function of time shows a typically rounded curve for each breath. As the upper airway begins to collapse, the shape of the inspiratory flow/time curve changes and the central section flattens. The AutoSet algorithm analyzes the shape of the central part of the curve for each breath and assigns a value as the amount of flattening. Inspiratory flow limitation, or partial airway closure, usually precedes snoring and obstruction. Detection of this flow limitation enables the unit to increase the pressure before obstruction occurs, making treatment pre-emptive. The Flattening Index is a measure of silent inspiratory airflow limitation.

ozij

Re: Encore Viewer Data After First 17 Days APAP

Post by ozij » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:14 am

Your average pressure is deeply affected by the extremes of the range - and if you're starting out at 4 (very low) you will tend to have more flow limitations, and a lower average pressure than if you were starting out higher.

Look at you "pressure recommended for 90% of the time" or whatever it is Respironics calls it; it will probably be much closer to 9, and take that pressure as an indication of where to put your minimum. For me, setting the minimum pressure 1 cm beneath the 90% pressure works best.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023