Has anyone found a chin strap that works for them?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kjarels

Has anyone found a chin strap that works for them?

Post by kjarels » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:01 pm

I have given up all hope of ever using a FF mask, tried again last night and I had leaks coming out of everywhere. Even when I tightened the mask up it still didn't work. The only thing I can use with some decent results is the Activa but unfortunately I am a mouth sleeper and I am losing air that way. I have tried tape and I still lose air so the only thing that half way works is a chin strap but I have to tighten it so my mouth does not drop open, very uncomfortable.

mindy

Re: Has anyone found a chin strap that works for them?

Post by mindy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:05 pm

I've had fairly good luck with the Tiara Topaz. If I tape, I get a leak rate a bit lower so I tape some of the time (nothing that hurts my skin and it's really easy to take off - takes 1 second). Without the Tiara, I have bad mouth leaks!

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

kjarels

Post by kjarels » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:11 pm

Thanks Mindy, did you purchase yours online??

RafterRattler

Post by RafterRattler » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:25 pm

I'll throw one other option out - but it's a bit off the wall. Back before I finally gave up and went to a FF mask (Mirage Quattro), I struggled nightly because my mouth kept dropping open. I tried several chin straps, but none really worked well. During the night, the chin straps kept sliding forward or backward, and my mouth would drop again. The closest I got to a solution was somewhat of an invention. Early on in my CPAP experimentation I had tried nasal pillows - which didn't work at all for me. However, the nasal pillow headgear came with several double sided velcro strips. They were the stiffer 'half' of velcro, on both sides. When I started having trouble with chin straps, I ended up putting those strips on the outside of my headgear on the sides of my head. I then put on the chin strap, and positioned it so that it stuck to the velcro - which kept it tight, on my head, and from sliding. It wasn't perfect, but it worked well until I finally went to a FF mask....

Just a thought...
Mike

kjarels

Post by kjarels » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Thanks Mike. I have the Quattro as well but I can not get it to stop leaking and my events are really bad when I wear it vs the Activa.

RafterRattler

Post by RafterRattler » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:37 pm

kjarels wrote:Thanks Mike. I have the Quattro as well but I can not get it to stop leaking and my events are really bad when I wear it vs the Activa.
I understand completely....my post was mainly intended to suggest the 'attaching the chin strap' concept. On the Quattro, I struggle with it at times as well. Not only does the elbow leak more than I'd like, but I have a very small chin - which makes getting a good seal around my mouth difficult. I need to keep it excessively tight on my nose in order to keep the chin tight enough. With this method, which isn't exactly comfortable, I tend to get a leak rate of .06 - which I understand is pretty good.

For the life of me, I just can't understand why these companies (which charge way too much for these hunks of silicone and plastic as it is), can't make a mask that is comfortable and that seals well for everyone.

Mike

kjarels

Post by kjarels » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:52 pm

Wow, that is a low leak rate, mine was over 1, something like 1.46 and my events were up around 8. When I wear the Activa my events are around 2. With the Quattro I have to tighten the straps so tight that the bridge of my nose is extremely sore in the morning and it still leaks.

sleepyred

Post by sleepyred » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Yes - the Pap Cap! I have pretty bad TMJ and the pap cap works wonderfully! Help holds your mouth closed in its natural position.

http://www.pur-sleep.com/content/?id=44

Red

Love these products:
Pad a Cheeks
http://www.padacheek.com/index.html
Pur-Sleep System
http://www.pur-sleep.com/

kjarels

Post by kjarels » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:47 pm

Hey thanks, do you know why some cost more then others?? I see some are $39.99 and others are $29.99.

sonogo

Post by sonogo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:03 pm

Back to the chin strap question: I struggled with that for awhile and am still experimenting. My current solution is a 3-step process: tape mouth, then wrap elastic band around mouth and neck, then put chin strap on over that (from head to chin, so that's vertical, while elastic band is horizontal). Combined they don't need to be that tight, and they do keep my mouth shut. I also look like a mummy. I may back off and give up one of them and just use two out of three. Just using any single method before wasn't working.

sleepyred

Post by sleepyred » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:15 pm

kjarels wrote:Hey thanks, do you know why some cost more then others?? I see some are $39.99 and others are $29.99.
I just bought a pap cap for $29.99 in a green color I liked. I am assuming that they might be discontinued colors? I was not willing to try it at $39.99 but grabbed it for a discount. I have had very good business dealings with pur sleep and Bret (Sleepguy) stands by his products 100%. I highly recommend pur sleep pap cap.

Red

Love these products:
Pad a Cheeks
Pur-Sleep System

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:19 pm

sleepyred wrote: I highly recommend pur sleep pap cap.
Ditto.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

kjarels

Post by kjarels » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:51 pm

Ok, I will get one of the 29.99 ones, are they easy to put on??

Babette

Post by Babette » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:59 pm

I've had very good luck with the Tiara Medical Deluxe Chinstrap:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/deluxe ... hleak.html

I just bought two more from CPAP.com.

For those that think it "looks wide" - that's the beauty of it. The width allows my "chin meat" to get pushed up into my lower lip and keeps my lips sealed really well.

It's very comfortable, and I don't have any jaw pain from it.

I also threw out my headgear and attached my Nasal Aire II directly to it, by sewing two strips of Velcro One Wrap to it.

See pix here:
http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/ ... aise/CPAP/

Cheers,
Babs

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

sleepyred

Post by sleepyred » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:27 am

kjarels wrote:Ok, I will get one of the 29.99 ones, are they easy to put on??
Yes - easiest chin strap ever for me. Just put it on like a cap attach the chin strap and you are ready to go.

On a very positive note - the pap cap, worn under the headgear to my activa, stabilizes the headgear better than without the pap cap. Keeps it out of my hair and in place all night. And no more mouth leaks and not a bit of stress on my TMJ.

Love these products:
Pad a Cheeks
Pur-Sleep System