BRIDGE OF NOSE PRESSURE SORE

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ford8n47

Post by ford8n47 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:06 am

I have a Respironics Comfort Gel full face mask size large, On a Rem Star Pro M Series Machine with humidity. I'm new to CPAP and started therapy last thurs. What a difference! Only problem is that the bridge of my nose has a stage one pressure ulcer. Skin is reddened, sore, and even had small pustules forming this am. I readjusted the head straps to make them as light as possible but then the mask leaks right around my nose blowing air into my eyes. Last night I put 2 bandaids on with a 1x1 piece of gauze but the mask leaked. I called the DME supplier and he said this is common for ALL full face masks. He said re adjust the straps and and if that does not work then I may need to switch to a nasal pillow or just a nose mask with a chin strap. I tried those masks during my study and had to go back to a Full Face because I'm a mouth breather. Any solutions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at the quattro full face but not sure if that one would do the same thing. Also sizing seems to be an issue with quattro. Thanks in advance!

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:38 am

Usually when a mask does that to the user, it's either the size is wrong and/or it's too tight.

Although the Comfort Gel nasal mask can be boiled and fitted, I just read that the full face version can't be.

Your DME is full of "hooey". My mask(s) have never done bodily harm to me.

If you want/need a full face mask, try the Ultra Mirage Full Face or the Quattro.
The UMFF is my first choice.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

deglorious

Post by deglorious » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:30 am

I've never tried the UMFF but I can certainly vouch for the Quattro because it has a nose bridge adjustment feature.

Another solution might be to try one of Padacheeks Nose Bridge Protection pads. They are inexpensive and really work. You can PM Padacheeks directly or go to her website http://www.padacheeks.com. She also has them listed on ebay.
She will customize it to fit your particular mask.

Good luck, Deglorious

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:38 am

Reboil the mask so it fits better, don't tighten it so tight.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

janedrourke

Post by janedrourke » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:49 am

I am in the same boat as you. I have the nasal mask but need the full face mask. I get the same thing, a red bump on my nose, takes days for it to go away. I have to switch to another mask every other day. I am in the process of having my medical supply company order the one you are talking about. I too am a mouth breather apparently. I can't stand the chin strap and all the other gear on my head at night.

This will be my 11th mask. I have the nasal pillows but after a day or two my nose gets sore so I am switching off. That might be something you need to do, have an assortment. When there is a bump on my nose, I got to the nasal pillos, when my hose is sore I go back to the nasal mask. I tried the FlexiFit full face but the leaks and noise were just too much to deal with.

I am not feeling much better since I started this process last December. But I keep trying.

Jane

ww

Post by ww » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 am

I have a comfortgel nasal mask. The name is a lie as it is a very heavy mask and seals well only when straps are very loose and the pressure balloons it out to seal. Unfortunately, gravity keeps mine from sealing when sleeping on my side and getting it tighter is very hard on the nose.

I think ResMed makes much better full face masks than Respironics and I use the UMFF most nights.

A piece of moleskin about 3/4 in x 1 inch on the bridge of your nose will help a great deal from the pressure problems on your nose.

Engransan

Post by Engransan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:32 pm

I had the same problem with my original FF mask wearing the bridge of my nose raw and am also an occational mouth breather. I changed to the ResMed Liberty and it works great.
Engransan

"OLD AGE AIN'T NO PLACE FOR SISSIES"

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to have to go without the CPAP for a few nights to let my nose heal....It's that bad. I definately try the moleskin or the pad a cheek. I might buy a ultra mirage off of cpap auction.com ofr look into the Resmed Mirage Liberty Full Face. Thanks again for all the wonderful information.

lktnky

Pressure sore

Post by lktnky » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:39 pm

I had one on my nose, too. I use the Comfort Gel nasal mask.
I got moleskin at the pharmacy and cut strips to fit over the bridge of my nose. I kept dabbing antibiotic ointment on it during the day and under the moleskin at night. It took about a week, but it finally went away.
Good luck!

givemesleep

I'm with you

Post by givemesleep » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:42 pm

I am sporting a nice red spot on the bridge of my nose (thank goodness for concealer). I had to have my gallbladder removed almost 2 weeks ago and I was using my CPAP several times a day for naps and my poor old nose just couldn't handle the multiple uses per day. At night I would put on some Neosporin and lay some gauze over the sore and then put my mask over the gauze, amazingly my mask still sealed. I am now putting some tape over it just so it doesn't rub anything.

Heal fast!

Billmanweh

Post by Billmanweh » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:49 pm

I think I had my Activa adjusted incorrectly at first and after a few nights I've actually got an open cut on the bridge of my nose. I tried a bandaid last night and the air just whistled right past, so I had to take it off. I might try the moleskin, because continuing to use the mask just isn't letting the cut heal.

ford8n47

Post by ford8n47 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:08 am

Thanks for all the responses. Well last night I cut one of my super soft fleece hunting gloves up. I took one of the fingers and taped it to the inside of the mask. It felt great. But then it would not seal. Not because of the fleece, but because of the forehead pad kept sliding up. The plastic clip above the mask does not hold that well and I think that may be the problem. After about 40 min of trying to get the thing to seal, I just pulled it off and went to bed. I'm going to call my DME provider today and see what they can do. Anyway I'm going to get a new mask either the Resmed liberty or the Quattro. Bridge of my nose feels a little better today but one side of my nose where I was trying to make it seal now has a little pressure line. No biggy, I'll just keep trying. Only been at this a week. Hope the others find some relief somehow. THANKS AGAIN!

wjp

Post by wjp » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:31 pm

This seems to be a very common problem.

I started with the Quatro and had the same problem. Had to stop using it after a week to let my nose recover.

I tried MACS, bandaids, telfa pads, and fleece. Helped a little with the sore nose, but all were a problem with leaks.

I purchased a Hybrid to give the bridge of my nose a break, but it huts on the bottom of my nose.

I have yet to find the perfect mask, but the ability to switch during the course of the night at least keeps any one area from too much abuse.

Walnut

Same Problem

Post by Walnut » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:35 pm

I also find I have to adjust this mask (ComfortGel FFM) to the lowest position and it really pushes on the nose bridge. Otherwise, it leaks badly into the eyes. Bottom straps are not too tight. I also use a Flexifit HC432 and it rides lower on the face and fits under the chin. A lot better but would like to get the ComfortGel to work.

jb91361

Re: BRIDGE OF NOSE PRESSURE SORE

Post by jb91361 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:20 pm

I get those sores when I don't wash my face and my mask with soap before I go to sleep each night. You might try that...