CPAP and Travel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dan01

CPAP and Travel

Post by Dan01 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:56 pm

Hey, has anyone ever traveled on an airplane with a CPAP. I will be going to Minnesota tonight. I will probably check my bag with the CPAP. I won't carry it on with me. I will be traveling at night so I will try to stay awake. I don't like to sleep without being hooked up.

Are there any regulations about Medical equipment. Will they scrutinize it?

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:54 am

Hello. Click on the word: CPAPopedia at the top of this page, and then click on the word: Travel
for the DOT fact sheet.

General consensus is never to check your machine; always carryon (it does NOT count towards your free allowance). In other words, you are allowed your regular carryon amount PLUS the machine because it is a medical device.

Enjoy Minnesota. It's going to be HOT and HUMID.

4Katie

Post by 4Katie » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:30 am

My DME said to always carry my prescription with me when flying with my CPAP machine. I'm going to do that - and also have a print-out of the DOT fact sheet.

We live near Dulles Airport, and she's been called to the airport twice to verify CPAP machines for Afghan diplomats trying to carry them on board!

One soft, sweet song's just enough to clear my head...

capt

Post by capt » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:19 am

I also highly recommend that you carry it on the plane with you. If you place it with your normal baggage and it is lost, you will be faced not only with a possible medical problem, but also a substantial financial loss, as the insurance for a baggage loss will be pennies on the dollar for the cpap machine and mask. I have never had a problem carrying my cpap onto a plane. Have a good trip!

Lindi

Post by Lindi » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:32 am

My doctor recommended that I hand carry my CPAP. I just returned from Italy and had no problems what so ever - hand carried it on all flights. I keep the instructions, the prescription from my doctor, and the TSA printout in my carrying case so I will have it if I need it. Good traveling.

snork1

Post by snork1 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:43 pm

carry your prescription and NEVER NEVER check it through.

I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers with a hair dryer, much less a CPAP machine.

And would you really want to be caught at the other end in Minnesota with your CPAP in your baggage which is now in Istanbul or somewhere similar......

Tell them when you check in and all throughout the process that you are carrying medical equipment. They work better without suprises.

Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:06 pm

I agree with all the above, especially Snork1 you don't want to be separated from you machine by baggage snafus, and about not surprising the check in people is very good policy.
I'ld like to add that I was a "selectee" in the security check in Oakland about a month ago. I had my CPAP with me, it was Xrayed and checked and no one said anything. No problem.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

nodding off

Post by nodding off » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:51 pm

Carry your machine with you at all times. Remember what your life was like without it? Airlines lose and damage luggage all the time. The percentage is small, but too large to risk your health for. Also, if they want to inspect your cpap at the gate, if you tell them it is a medical device you have the right to a clean environment for your inspection instead of the bench, so be assertive. Have a safe flight!

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:39 pm

Flying with your cpap. No big deal. These guys have seen more cpaps than your DME. AS far as an Rx. Maybe if you are going to a 3rd world country. Better yet, carry lots of $$$$$$$$$ to bribe them. In the rest of the world, RELAX. They are more common than vibrators.

*****************BAD JOKE ALERT*************************

Maam, I'm from the TSA, I need to inspect your carry on . Oh mr TSA man its a medical device , Here is a copy of the rules. Thats fine maaam . I wasn't refering to the cpap. Is THIS a medical device ( waving it in the air) ? Maam, May I see a copy of your Rx or the instructions for THIS. But, but sir. I don't have an Rx for it. I'm sorry maam , You'll have to leave it in the bin with the nail clippers and knitting needles.

Just kidding,

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP, DME

Ionizer

Post by Ionizer » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:19 pm

Chris, That reminded me of a scene that played before my eyes a few years ago at JFK. The screener pulled out a you know what for all to see. He even turned it on to see if the batteries were installed. They were . Made her remove the batteries !

I was in tears reading your "JOKE"

Thanks for the laugh.

Ready,

Aim,

ZAP............

Ionizer

quantumcat

Post by quantumcat » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:16 am

Uh...those thingies are for soothing sore muscles-right?

(blinks innocently)

Barnaby

Post by Barnaby » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:06 pm

what was that medical device he was waving around?? Was it your VIBRATOR?????
"He's not heavy..he is my brother" - Shriners Creed

roadwarrior

Post by roadwarrior » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:29 pm

I'll take a bet right NOW that if you check it in as luggage it will be in pieces when you arrive at your destination. I would NEVER let it out of my site. I put it under my seat when on planes (which is every other week). I'm headed to LA Tomorrow and will do just the same. IF it so much as gets dropped it's toast.
Persistance is Omnipotent

Altered_Ego

Post by Altered_Ego » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:25 pm

Things might be more complicated now due to recent news stories. In Great Britain, they discovered a new plot to bring bombs onboard planes.

I believe there is difficulties for people who try to carry electronic devices on planes, in addition to liquids and gels.

I've only flown once since getting my CPAP machine. I flew from Boston Mass to Miami, Florida. I carried it onboard. No one gave it even a second glance.

I have never seen my Doctor's Prescription. I believe they mailed or faxed it to the company that supplied the CPAP machine.

I took a Greyhound bus back from Miami, all the way to Maine. I only saw one security check in the entire long trip. They selected some people of Arab descent, and some Menonites (similar to Amish).

I thought that was rather strange.

z754103

Post by z754103 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:28 am

Went through heathrow 4 times in the past week and my gel mask was fine.