Lower numbers possible after reaching max press.??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
reducha

Lower numbers possible after reaching max press.??

Post by reducha » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:56 am

Hey everyone! I noticed that some people are able to get lower numbers/readings from their cpap machines. Currently, i have a resmed S8, and i'm at the maximum pressure of 20, and yet the lowest i've been able to get my numbers down to is: press. 18.4
leak: .12
ahi: 3.5
ai: 0
hi: 3.5

Do all machines max out at 20? Or, does anyone have any experience with having a machine that goes above 20, and then their numbers/readings started to go down???? thanks..Tim

You make them part of your life. – Garrison Keillor

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:57 am

most CPAP's max out at 20 cm. You have to move to a Bipap machine to go higher, some of those go to 25 cm and others to 30 cm.

Your numbers look fine, if anything I'd say you are approaching the point of over titration, but if you are sleeping well don't worry about it.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

reducha

Post by reducha » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:28 am

Well, that's the main reason i'm fishing for other possibilities because i still don't feel good and haven't for a couple of years now.

crossfit

Post by crossfit » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:37 pm

snoredog - what do you mean by "over titration?" Is that when your pressure is too high?

reducha

Post by reducha » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:10 am

i didn't understand that bit about "over titration" either. I googled it to no avail. anyone??

echo

Post by echo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:55 pm

over-titration = when your pressure is higher than it needs to be for stopping the obstructions, and it's so high that it starts causing central apnea events. Rule of thumb seems to be that central's can be induced above 10 cm H2O but snoredog can prbably give a more eloquent answer .
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:59 pm

echo wrote:over-titration = when your pressure is higher than it needs to be for stopping the obstructions, and it's so high that it starts causing central apnea events. Rule of thumb seems to be that central's can be induced above 10 cm H2O but snoredog can prbably give a more eloquent answer .
yep or basically disturbed sleep but you can only see that in a lab with EEG. Sometimes they will leave you with a bit of AHI for that reason, where sleep quality is better.

reason you should always go by how you feel in the end.

Still tired after reaching that point? well then you look for them other items found on your PSG like microarousals and PLMD, RLS etc., cause you've done all you can do with them machine.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:09 pm

How much exercise are you getting? How's your weight?

reducha

Post by reducha » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:10 pm

exercise and weight?? Leave that advice to newbies. I've been at this a couple of years on cpap,,fifteen years with OSA. I'tall and slim.Answers are far more complex than that. But, thanks anyways for your input.