Cold/Cool versus Warm air from CPAP humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bhurd

Re: Cold/Cool versus Warm air from CPAP humidifier

Post by bhurd » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:36 pm

Why can't CPAP companies make a cold moist air CPAP machine???? I feel like I am suffocating when I use my CPAP machine. I do not use the heated humidifier & do not use the water! I am so sick and tired of no CPAP company listening to the users requests!!! Warm moist heat in my face is like having your head stuck in a plastic bag that has been tied shut!! I sleep with a fan on all night. Plus I have always had cool air blowing in my face & cool air to breathe at night with a window cracked open. Someone has got to invent something to help us that are suffering!!!!!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:32 pm

bhurd wrote:Why can't CPAP companies make a cold moist air CPAP machine???? I feel like I am suffocating when I use my CPAP machine. I do not use the heated humidifier & do not use the water! I am so sick and tired of no CPAP company listening to the users requests!!! Warm moist heat in my face is like having your head stuck in a plastic bag that has been tied shut!! I sleep with a fan on all night. Plus I have always had cool air blowing in my face & cool air to breathe at night with a window cracked open. Someone has got to invent something to help us that are suffering!!!!!
Why not? You'd still be getting some cool humidity by turning off the heat and putting water in the tank.
I've been using "passover" humidity for nearly 12 years and have not experienced many problems.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
bhurd wrote:Why can't CPAP companies make a cold moist air CPAP machine???? I feel like I am suffocating when I use my CPAP machine. I do not use the heated humidifier & do not use the water! I am so sick and tired of no CPAP company listening to the users requests!!! Warm moist heat in my face is like having your head stuck in a plastic bag that has been tied shut!! I sleep with a fan on all night. Plus I have always had cool air blowing in my face & cool air to breathe at night with a window cracked open. Someone has got to invent something to help us that are suffering!!!!!
Why not? You'd still be getting some cool humidity by turning off the heat and putting water in the tank.
I've been using "passover" humidity for nearly 12 years and have not experienced many problems.

Den

I agree...Just turn off the heated humidifier

Cindy Harris

Post by Cindy Harris » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:45 pm

My wife has just at started using her CPAP and finds the warm air to be most uncomfortable, where she has trouble falling asleep. She has found that putting an ice bottle around the tubing cools it down enough where it is tolerable.

vps

Post by vps » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:26 am

I have the same issue with warm air. Putting ice cubes helps to fall asleep, but at 3am it's a pain to go to fridge to refill humidifier with ice.
May be there is a proper solution?

chapa.r

Post by chapa.r » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 am

tleatham wrote:
Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:31 pm
I've not been on cpaptalk.com in a long time but can't seem to find any posts including replies to my older posts about this topic. I feel that I'm suffocating when I run my CPAP with the humidifier or even without because of the warm air. However if I put crushed ice in my humidifier tank instead of water, leave the humidifier off altogether and put my mask in the freezer up until the time I put it on to sleep then I'm OK, at least to get to sleep. If I wake in the night however I find it difficult to go back to sleep because the mask has warmed up and the air being output from my CPAP is room temperature or warmer. I cannot lower the temperature in the room cool enough because it would cost a small fortune (I live in Memphis-temps and humidity is HIGH), my wife couldn't handle it and I have the same problem even in winter when room temp is very cool.

What I wonder is if anyone else has a problem using their CPAP because of the warm air being output by the unit. I've inquired and searched the web and have not found anything that provides me consistent cold/cool enough and possibly moist air to the mask throughout the night. I've seen a post or two for a secondary unit that passes air across water through a maze of tubes (elementary explanation I know) before outputting to the mask but my fear is that it will just not provide cool enough air. I have tried to use water in my humidifier with no heat and that is just not cool enough, even to begin with. Honestly the colder, the better for me.

I'd love if someone knew of or invented a unit that passed air through a refrigeration unit on it's way to the mask, a sort of A/C unit for CPAP. I'd love nothing more than to feel like I'm breathing from a freezer all night long.
Try distilled ice cubes with a lower humidity setting. I had this exact same problem. I had my setting at 6 and it was suggested to lower the level. I switched to 4 and the air got cooler. If you have it at a 2 setting and with say 4 ice cubes, that should last till you fall asleep.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:08 am

And once again, the mummy walks the earth.
BE AFRAID.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:15 am

You should not put anything in the humidifier but water. Of course, ice cubes are just water, so I guess they're OK.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 am

This very old thread was started in 2008.
Some people are sensitive to warm air on their faces.
A fabric mask liner was most effective for me.
Sleepweaver fabric masks can help.
A chilled mask might be useful, but most of us just suck it up and get used to it.
Inventors: here is your billion dollar idea. I take no credit--just go for it.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:35 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 am
This very old thread was started in 2008.
Some people are sensitive to warm air on their faces.
A fabric mask liner was most effective for me.
Sleepweaver fabric masks can help.
A chilled mask might be useful, but most of us just suck it up and get used to it.
Inventors: here is your billion dollar idea. I take no credit--just go for it.
They invented my solution many years ago, it's called room A/C. I keep my room at 65 degrees, and also run a USB Fan. Jim

Another recycle thread, just for the people that think they learned to read, in the last ten years, but didn't. :lol: :roll:
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

rytram

Post by rytram » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:20 pm

is what i do is mix a little bit of Listerine in my water. it gives you the illusion that the air is colder due to the menthol. but, i am looking for an attachment to cool the air.

Langevloei

Post by Langevloei » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:58 pm

tleatham wrote:
Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:31 pm
I'd love if someone knew of or invented a unit that passed air through a refrigeration unit on it's way to the mask, a sort of A/C unit for CPAP. I'd love nothing more than to feel like I'm breathing from a freezer all night long.
Yes and this is how.

You buy a little fridge like this one Image
The freeze unit is flat on the back of the box, so no U-shaped freezer compartment that can get in the way of your machine.
We want our cpap on the platform, not on the bottom of the fridge.Hygiene is a pré.
You need to make some holes for the cable and hose that has to go through the top or side of the fridge.
Its up to you to disside, where you will put the fridge and where your bed is, as where to drill the holes, left, right or top.
As long as you are careful and don't drill through any vital parts.

Now you must insulate your air-hose, because of rain-out. There is no way about it, if you are going to run refrigerated air there is going to be condensation depending on the humidity of air taken in.

Does anyone have ideas about adjusting the humidity inside the fridge using the pre- heated units?

I know this is an old thread but it was active so i went for it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:08 pm

Langevloei wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:58 pm
You need to make some holes for the cable and hose that has to go through the top or side of the fridge.
And when you hear the HISSING, just hope you don't make a spark, because some of the refrigerants in those little fridges are flammable.

What a moronic post.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:32 pm

Thats the idea of posts from the way back. never read though, but always added to by people that don't know, think or read. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:46 pm

I like my suggestion from 2018.
SUCK IT UP.