Demographics

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BreatheRite

Post by BreatheRite » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:01 pm

I'm 50 and 170 lbs. Been on CPAP since September. My health has improved greatly since then.
BreatheRite

rifenbc

Post by rifenbc » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:16 am

I'm 53, 5' 6" and "round" due to steroids for my Rheumatoid Arthritis. But with renewed energy and cutting down from 25 mg to 4 mg of prednisone,I hope to be -less- round one day.

cktan

Post by cktan » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:57 am

I'm 32. 168cm and 85Kg.
I have been using CPAP for more than one year.
Glad to know that there is a great supportive site here.
http://tssm.org.tw/sleepforum
Avatar: Snoring ruins not only your life.

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:15 am

Wow!
What a fun topic to read....I just read it.
Makes me want to chime in too, like I'm part of some club!

I'm 49, 5'5" (and shrinking, I think), female, and the weight? Yep, too much of it, and I'm not confessing. Probably have everyone beat. My first experience with the machine was just this past nite. And yes, this is a nice supportive site.

Weight's always been a problem, up and down and all. But the last ten years it seemed it got bad, bad, bad, and I couldn't understand, because I thought I was behaving better. Thought it must be age, changes in metabolism, hormones, whatever. Never believed sleep was it, even though there were problems with it. Looking back, my weight spurt coincides with my earliest memory of sleep/exhaustion problems, some ten years ago.

Encouraged, I now have a secret goal. Not weight-related. My goal is to have some, any, improved health and sleep patterns by my birthday next September (the big 50). If yes, I'm planning to throw myself one hellofa party.

Linda

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:35 am

Question....
And PLEASE I hope you don't think me impolite.....if I am, just be gentle and say so......I'm embarrassed to ask.

But, what ethnicity are we, if you don't mind saying? ....What else are we (demographically speaking)?

Are we everybody, this club of apneas? .... Are we white, are we asian, are we black, are we hispanic, native american, etc. It doesn't matter, I know, because we're all suffering from the same thing. We all wish we were healthy and didn't have this, and wouldn't want others to have this either. Still, I wonder how broad this is, how much am I not alone?

FYI -- I ask this because I'm white but I've been involved with some race relations groups. I've come to meet and listen to a wide range of people, especially African Americans. For all our getting-to-know each other, I never once asked if they ever had apnea. (not exactly a normal topic to begin with). So now I'm wondering how we can help each other. Please don't be offended.

Linda

Gators

Post by Gators » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:35 pm

I'm 39. Just diagnosed. I'm 6'3" and 210 lbs. I do not think this qualifies as overweight. My wife just got tires of my snoring and sent me to the doctor. Now, how I feel all the time makes sense. I hope I can sleep with a CPAP. My titration is next Monday.

karmich

Post by karmich » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:27 am

I'm 37, 5'6", frmale and 208 lbs. I'm definitely trying to drops some weight to see if I can make some improvements in my pressures which 18/14 and tough to get use too. Linda, I'm not offended by you asking about race. I'm curious too about the make-up of people suffering from sleep apnea. I'm African American and wonder if I'm in a small minority being treated for this. If anyone knows a site to get more information on this I'd be happy to hear about it.