Transpertation Safty Administration

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
neverbetter

Transpertation Safty Administration

Post by neverbetter » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:37 pm

darthlucy

Post by darthlucy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:40 pm

I'll be traveling by air next week for the first time since being on CPAP, so this is valuable information for me. Thanks for posting.

I still haven't decided whether to carry on or put the CPAP in well-cushioned luggage. I have to carry a briefcase with laptop also, and the thought of lugging both through security and connections isn't very appealing.

Joined the Hosehead Brigade on June 22, 2007

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:30 pm

Two words: carry on

Even if you haven't seen the way luggage is slung, flung, dropped, shoved, dumped on, and mashed, think what would happen if your luggage were to be delayed or lost. Cpaps aren't items than can be quickly replaced at the local RiteAide or CVS. Most airlines limit lost luggage liability to $200. Will that replace your cpap, mask, and hose?

Cpaps do not (cannot by Federal law) be counted as part of the carry on allowance... you have one carry on bag and one personal item (i.e. computer or purse) AND your cpap.

Also, many airlines are now charging for EACH piece of checked luggage, between $15 and $25 for each bag! So far, that doesn't apply to carry on items, although I am sure they will think of that soon enough!

Happy travels!