Who Like's their DME?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AAdjuster

Who Like's their DME?

Post by AAdjuster » Mon May 12, 2008 8:40 am

I was wondering if anyone likes their DME and how helpful they are.

The guy who used to run my DME was never very helpful, but a lady named Anna is in charge now. And she is the most helpful person that I have ever met. She goes out of her way to help us who use cpap equipment.

I told her about PADACHEEKS and she has been informing other cpap users about these fine products.

I even loaned her 1 of my extra nose and forehead pads to show others.

Hope she does not leave anytime soon.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Mon May 12, 2008 9:49 am

I almost did not post this because I suspect it will turn into another DME bashing post. I have read many comments from folks who really get along and do well with their DME's however most seem to have problems dealing with their DME. I have gone through 2 and have not found one I can deal with. Some of the RT's that post here seem to understand our problems ( I wish one of them was in my area). Some company rules seem to be made to make it dificult at a time when we are not functioning well enough to understand or tolertate their stubbornness. I really don't mind paying a reasonable price if I can get something for my $$$'s. My machine is now paid for and I will soon change to a third DME in hopes of finding one that will work with me and that I can afford. If not I may have to go to the system that many now use and order or buy on line out of pocket. At least in this case you get what you pay for.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

AAdjuster

Post by AAdjuster » Mon May 12, 2008 10:20 am

6PtStar

Thank you for your reply, I understand exactly where you are coming from.

DME's can be a pain.

Post by Guest » Mon May 12, 2008 10:25 am

I LOVE MY DME!!!!!! Knowledgeable staff, fast service, low prices, incredibly fast shipping....

CPAP.COM RULES!!!!!!

Cheers,
Babette

Post by Guest » Mon May 12, 2008 10:30 am

As I've said many times before, my "DME" was and has been CPAP.COM. I've ordered virtually ALL of my equipment and supplies through them. (The couple of exceptions were purchases from forum members) I was able to read the manuals and understand how to set up my equipment (including everything in the provider setup), change the filters and water in the humidifier. I have NO idea WHY I would need a brick and mortar local DME.
I even opted out of the extra oxygen that I was prescribed when I found out how much THAT was going to cost. (don't need oxygen when I can breathe)

My insurance provider reimbursed me for 80% of my initial equipment and supply purchase and all the rest I've purchased out-of-pocket. With my insurance deductible, I would have never reached the annual limit with the over-priced amounts that the locals charge, anyway......which means I'd have been paying 2 - 5 times the price of all of these supplies, anyway.

Using a local DME makes absolutely no sense to me. (unless you HAVE to use oxygen or something like that)

Den

shortbus

Post by shortbus » Mon May 12, 2008 11:12 am

I'm not crazy about my DME because they wouldn't give me the Bipap I wanted, but in the other hand it could be worse.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon May 12, 2008 11:54 am

This will probably be a short list..... jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

stevoreno

Post by stevoreno » Mon May 12, 2008 11:59 am

My local Apria Healthcare branch has provided me with very good service so far but based upon what others have posted here about Apria Healthcare my opinion could change if I begin to experience problems with them but so far so good.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon May 12, 2008 1:00 pm

shortbus wrote:I'm not crazy about my DME because they wouldn't give me the Bipap I wanted, but in the other hand it could be worse.
In my demented little world this is how it works - My doctor writes an order for a bipap. My DME follows the order - else DME gets fired. What am I missing here?

ps. Stevo & Apria who'da thunk it? Life is good - Unbeatable, ha!

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

xyz

Post by xyz » Mon May 12, 2008 3:25 pm

> My doctor writes an order for a bipap. My DME follows the order - else DME gets fired. What am I missing here?

All the people who have no choice of DME (and there are lots). Their insurance company limits them to only the one DME that the insurance company contracts with.

AAdjuster

Post by AAdjuster » Mon May 12, 2008 5:37 pm

Thank you all for the replys.

stevoreno

Post by stevoreno » Mon May 12, 2008 6:25 pm

[quote="xyz"]> My doctor writes an order for a bipap. My DME follows the order - else DME gets fired. What am I missing here?

All the people who have no choice of DME (and there are lots). Their insurance company limits them to only the one DME that the insurance company contracts with.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon May 12, 2008 6:53 pm

xyz wrote:> My doctor writes an order for a bipap. My DME follows the order - else DME gets fired. What am I missing here?

In cases where there is no choice for DME & the DME refuses to follow the doctors orders? I guess you have to file a complaint with the DME's licensing authority, if you can't fire them.

When you go to the pharmacy with a your prescription - does the pharmacist tell you, naaaw we're not giving you that - you take this AND like it? What would you do? And what is the difference? But see the doc has to order it - in writing, "Data Capable APAP - DO NOT substitute". Get a copy - in your hand, save a copy for reference.

Gumby- who was trained by Apria.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

xyz

Post by xyz » Mon May 12, 2008 10:44 pm

> In cases where there is no choice for DME & the DME refuses to follow the doctors orders? I guess you have to file a complaint with the DME's licensing authority, if you can't fire them.

Yes. 1. File an appeal with your insurance company. They can make the DME perform. But be sure you have all your ducks in a row before you file the appeal. Document everything. Don't rant. 2. File a complaint with your state's DME/RT licensing agency. 3. File a complaint with your state's insurance commissioner. 4. Write a letter to the BBB. When enough letters come in about a particular company, it has an impact.

But when, because of prior experience, you expect that you're going to have a problem with your DME getting what you need, there's an earlier step to take. 1. Have your doctor put the brand/manufacturer, model name, and _model number_ on the prescription. Be very specific. That way there's no room to weasel. 2. And have him/her write "Do not substitute." If the DME changes anything they could be liable for legal action.

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Tue May 13, 2008 8:40 am

I don't like some of the company policies (the cheapo machine issue). As for the employees, they have been very helpful and conscientious to the point of saying "If you can get your doctor to - we have to do it"